LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 207 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Starting Pitching Rotation

Offline  Re: 2017 Starting Pitching Rotation
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:01 AM Post

Roster Guru
brent suter has definitely earned a spot in the brewers rotation. assuming matt garza comes back next week, and that chase anderson returns one to two weeks ahead of schedule, what should happen to the weakest link in junior guerra?

guerra has one minor league option remaining, but it could go unused if he spends less than 20 days optioned to the minor leagues. perhaps the brewers will explore guerra getting a couple starts in the minors after anderson returns and recall guerra in september?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:14 AM Post
djoctagone said:
brent suter has definitely earned a spot in the brewers rotation. assuming matt garza comes back next week, and that chase anderson returns one to two weeks ahead of schedule, what should happen to the weakest link in junior guerra?

guerra has one minor league option remaining, but it could go unused if he spends less than 20 days optioned to the minor leagues. perhaps the brewers will explore guerra getting a couple starts in the minors after anderson returns and recall guerra in september?

I'd be surprised if Anderson returns before August 20, but your plan makes sense. Guerra seems unlikely to turn it around this season and may end up as a long reliever in September.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:18 AM Post
Junior Guerra is definitely get the boot when Anderson returns at this point. It should work out to where they can recall him and save the option which really is total luck for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:30 AM Post
Nelson/Anderson/Davies/Garza/Suter seems like the pretty likely rotation for the rest of the season once Anderson returns, which looks pretty solid.

Guerra seems like a pretty easy choice for the first man out right now, but I'm not sure who would go after that if they went out and got Gray before the deadline. I doubt Suter was ever intended to be permanently in the MLB rotation, but you certainly can't take him out now. Not unless the rest of the league starts catching up to him and he puts up a couple duds, anyway.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:52 AM Post
Not sure where to put this but Brewer Nation on Twitter says Kirk N is headed to Milwaukee today.

Let the speculation begin!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 7:56 AM Post
If they went out and got a starter I bet Suter would be demoted(actually maybe go to the bullpen, but might want him stretched out). While he has done well so has Davies and Davies has previous experience. I would personally option Davies and keep Suter. I think Suter will benefit from the league not seeing him before. Unfortunate everyone else in the rotation is also doing really well of late which hurts Suter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 8:02 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
If they went out and got a starter I bet Suter would be demoted(actually maybe go to the bullpen, but might want him stretched out). While he has done well so has Davies and Davies has previous experience. I would personally option Davies and keep Suter. I think Suter will benefit from the league not seeing him before. Unfortunate everyone else in the rotation is also doing really well of late which hurts Suter.

I don't know how they can demote Suter, He pitched the biggest game of the year like an ace. I know the analytics folks hate the term clutch because they don't understand it, but that was clutch.

I know that watching him pitch says he has no business getting major league hitters out but the results have been fantastic. He reminds me a bit of John Tudor.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 8:20 AM Post
Suter has a 3.55 scFIP so the peripherals mostly support him pitching well as well. This doesn't just look all sorts of flukish like Guerra last year.

For what its worth Anderson is at a 3.59 and Nelson is at a 3.45. Those 3 have been legitimately good pitchers this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:38 AM Post

Roster Guru
MrTPlush said:
I would personally option Davies and keep Suter.

same advantage with davies as with guerra: keep him optioned for less than 20 days, and the option isn't burned. davies has two minor league options remaining.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 10:00 AM Post
Global Moderator
Davies isnt getting optioned.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 11:32 AM Post
Guerra will the one to go IMO, but then again-Wily Peralta is still on this roster, so who knows what they'll do when it gets to be decision time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 11:56 AM Post
Please realize my comment was if the Brewers added a starter(like Gray etc.) and then once Anderson came back. Because after ditching Guerra that leaves Davies/Suter as the next one out. Of course one could get traded if we were to acquire a starter.

It is becoming quite obvious Guerra will be the first starter out...not really a debate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2017, 12:00 PM Post
Based off of how the starting pitching is shaking out, do they really need to go get another starter? If Davies has in fact found "it" again, a rotation of Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Garza, and Suter isn't too bad. Pretty solid. Then they have Guerra(yuck) or Woodruff waiting if something happens. I don't think there are any starters out there that are difference makers or at least worth what the the Brewers would be giving up. I say get another bullpen arm and shorten the game up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 03, 2017, 6:03 PM Post

Roster Guru
say what you will about the 3-3 homestand, but we got a taste of a playoff-caliber rotation in five of these six games against two really good teams. that has to give fans hope down the stretch.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017 Starting Pitching Rotation
Posted: August 03, 2017, 6:57 PM Post
Very proud of this staff not so much of the offense

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 06, 2017, 4:23 PM Post

Roster Guru
the rotation is insane right now. there's still time to decide where to place chase anderson (and possibly junior guerra if the club doesn't want to burn his final option), but at this point, who deserves to be bumped from the starting rotation?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 06, 2017, 6:55 PM Post
If Stearns makes any move in August, which he did say there would be a lot of options available, I think you include Guerra in the trade. We don't need him, he isn't that good, but some team will see his stats from last year and take a chance on an August trade.

Far as right now, maybe Garza in the pen? But they way they have been handling this season I would not be surprised to see Woodruff out of the rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2017, 2:48 PM Post
So I'm not a stat geek...just discovered pitching DRA today. Brewers rank 12th in baseball. So my question is this.....if the Brewers ERA is 4.06 but the DRA is 4.57 does that mean the pitchers have been a bit lucky or is the Brewers defense helping them or both? Difference between FIP and DRA?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sorta ... id=1932763

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2017, 2:50 PM Post
djoctagone said:
the rotation is insane right now. there's still time to decide where to place chase anderson (and possibly junior guerra if the club doesn't want to burn his final option), but at this point, who deserves to be bumped from the starting rotation?

Brewers have already used Guerra option....they can move him up or down as many times as they want the rest of the year without changing anything......

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2017, 3:04 PM Post
markedman5 said:
djoctagone said:

Brewers have already used Guerra option....they can move him up or down as many times as they want the rest of the year without changing anything......

I think there's a stipulation of sorts that if he doesn't spend X number of days in the minors, an option isn't burned. Not sure on the specifics, I assume that's what he's referring to. So if we call him up quickly the option isn't burned.

I highly suspect Suter finds his way to long relief when Anderson returns. Possible that Woodruff goes to AAA, highly unlikely they would move Garza to the pen even though that move would make some sense.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 207 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply