LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 265 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Starting Pitching Rotation

Offline  Re: 2017 Starting Pitching Rotation
Posted: August 30, 2017, 10:31 PM Post
gregmag said:
So, Garza. Five decent innings against the second-worst team in baseball last week; otherwise he's a train wreck. Is there any earthly reason to keep him in the rotation when rosters expand? Could Guerra or Jungmann possibly be a worse bet as the fifth starter (I'm assuming Woodruff will be back as essentially #4)?

I'd keep Garza for garbage time, but try to package him in the off-season.

Even with his 4.77 ERA, at only $5 million, he's still got some value. Granted, it's probably gonna be two or three low-level lottery tickets - about what Lind brought back in the 2015-2016 offseason - or he is a throw-in to a Keon Broxton deal. That $5 million option is really cheap considering how much free agents will cost.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 8:06 AM Post
clancyphile said:
gregmag said:
So, Garza. Five decent innings against the second-worst team in baseball last week; otherwise he's a train wreck. Is there any earthly reason to keep him in the rotation when rosters expand? Could Guerra or Jungmann possibly be a worse bet as the fifth starter (I'm assuming Woodruff will be back as essentially #4)?

Even with his 4.77 ERA, at only $5 million, he's still got some value. Granted, it's probably gonna be two or three low-level lottery tickets - about what Lind brought back in the 2015-2016 offseason - or he is a throw-in to a Keon Broxton deal. That $5 million option is really cheap considering how much free agents will cost.

Many free agents of Garza's current caliber and age don't end up finding jobs at all or get picked up on minor league deals. The way he's pitched down the stretch, that is very likely.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 8:58 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
clancyphile said:
gregmag said:

Many free agents of Garza's current caliber and age don't end up finding jobs at all or get picked up on minor league deals. The way he's pitched down the stretch, that is very likely.

Perhaps, but at $5 million, he's still cheap considering the market.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 9:25 AM Post
I saved Woodruff on my fantasy roster and update is him starting Saturday and moving forward as #5 starter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 9:26 AM Post
clancyphile said:
KeithStone53151 said:
clancyphile said:

Perhaps, but at $5 million, he's still cheap considering the market.

Not at all. Guys like Guerra/Suter can do what Garza can do for $600k. Why would someone pay him $5 million? And for the few teams with no farm system options, why would they pick Garza over a dozen other similar guys that would likely do it cheaper. The return we might get if all breaks perfectly doesn't outweigh the risk of having to cut him for nothing. We wouldn't get anywhere near the Lind return for Garza, we'd get the Swarzak return at best.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 9:55 AM Post
Is Garza really going to make his scheduled start on Sunday? I was really hoping his start Tuesday night would be his last one in a Brewer uniform. Someone please console me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 10:08 AM Post
shanedog19 said:
Is Garza really going to make his scheduled start on Sunday? I was really hoping his start Tuesday night would be his last one in a Brewer uniform. Someone please console me.

At least they moved Scherzer to Sunday. Sunday could be reminiscent of the 26-1 game in WAS a few weeks ago that Perez pitched in where we just punted the game before it started.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 10:12 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
shanedog19 said:

At least they moved Scherzer to Sunday. Sunday could be reminiscent of the 26-1 game in WAS a few weeks ago that Perez pitched in where we just punted the game before it started.

Scherzer vs. Garza?!? Drooling to see that matchup. Sounds like a W!

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 10:17 AM Post
Brew4U said:
tmwiese55 said:
shanedog19 said:

Right, but it's better than having Max go Sat and then still have Garza or whoever the callup is go Sunday. Now you only have one game you're going into negatively. I bet this is Garza's last game starting, they'll sit Braun and others Sunday and just punt the game. Then try to use the bye days the next two weeks so you might only need a #5 one more time until the week of the 17th, and who knows they could be as good as out of it by then.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 11:56 AM Post
With the Cards promoting Jack Flaherty to their rotation, I would love to see them do the same with Corbin Burnes. What do we have to lose? He can't be any worse than Garza, can he?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 3:08 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Brew4U said:
tmwiese55 said:

Right, but it's better than having Max go Sat and then still have Garza or whoever the callup is go Sunday. Now you only have one game you're going into negatively. I bet this is Garza's last game starting, they'll sit Braun and others Sunday and just punt the game. Then try to use the bye days the next two weeks so you might only need a #5 one more time until the week of the 17th, and who knows they could be as good as out of it by then.

Change of plans again: Scherzer is now pitching Saturday. It'll be Garza vs Jackson on Sunday

https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/statu ... 0702929922

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 31, 2017, 3:39 PM Post
Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy

Matt Garza won't start Sunday but is not being completely removed from the rotation, per CC. Get ready for a creative Sept. pitching picture
4:36 PM - 31 Aug 2017

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 02, 2017, 10:10 AM Post
I know win totals don't matter, but still an interesting statistic:

I believe only one other time has a Brewer pitcher been tied for the league lead in wins in September - Pete Vuckovich in strike-shortened 1981.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 02, 2017, 1:18 PM Post
Are we backing Garza up to pitch Wednesday? Looks like we are shoving everyone back so Nelson, Anderson, Davies go up against the Cubs... does Garza slot in to Wednesday?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 04, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
liveforoctober said:
Are we backing Garza up to pitch Wednesday? Looks like we are shoving everyone back so Nelson, Anderson, Davies go up against the Cubs... does Garza slot in to Wednesday?

Wasn't all that hard of a call but this is the first thing I've gotten right all year so I would like to take credit. My next prediction is that Garza gets the Suter treatment and is pulled after 3 innings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 04, 2017, 10:23 AM Post
liveforoctober said:
liveforoctober said:

Wasn't all that hard of a call but this is the first thing I've gotten right all year so I would like to take credit. My next prediction is that Garza gets the Suter treatment and is pulled after 3 innings.

Garza has already been getting the Suter treatment , due to ineffectiveness. He should only be given 3 innings if he pitches well and based on his starts the last few months, that is unlikely. The last time he made it 6 innings was July 5th. Pretty sad...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 04, 2017, 10:09 PM Post
liveforoctober said:
liveforoctober said:

Garza has been better when he's had extra rest. I'm hoping we can get a few good innings and counsel had a quick trigger on him. I fully believe he will, similar to suter. Line up jeffress and suter behind him...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2017, 2:49 PM Post

Roster Guru
confirmed tonight: brent suter
confirmed wednesday: chase anderson on three days' rest (first time in his career pitching on short rest)
thursday: off day
friday: zach davies on four days' rest?
saturday: brandon woodruff on four days' rest?
sunday: brent suter on four days' rest?
monday: chase anderson on four days' rest?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 12, 2017, 3:20 PM Post
djoctagone said:
confirmed tonight: brent suter
confirmed wednesday: chase anderson on three days' rest (first time in his career pitching on short rest)
thursday: off day
friday: zach davies on four days' rest?
saturday: brandon woodruff on four days' rest?
sunday: brent suter on four days' rest?
monday: chase anderson on four days' rest?

If you keep going, you could consider a mop-up/bullpen day next Tues. @ PIT Then

@ PIT Wed: Davies 4 days rest
vs CHC Thur: Woodruff 4 days rest
vs CHC Fri: Suter 4 days rest
vs CHC Sat: Anderson 4 days rest
vs CHC Sun: Davies 3 days rest
M off
vs CIN Tues: Woodruff 4 days rest
vs CIN Weds: Suter 4 days rest
vs CIN Thurs: Anderson 4 days rest
@ STL Fri: Davies 4 days rest
@ STL Sat: Woodruff 4 days rest
@ STL Sun: Suter 4 days rest

playoff game 1: Anderson

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 19, 2017, 2:33 PM Post

Roster Guru
only one off day left (monday after the cubs series). time will tell if aaron wilkerson earns another start against the reds next week.

tonight: chase anderson on five days' rest
wednesday: aaron wilkerson (threw 1.0 inning on friday)
thursday vs. cubs: zach davies on four days' rest
friday: brandon woodruff on four days' rest
saturday: brent suter on four days' rest
sunday: chase anderson on four days' rest
monday: off

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 265 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply