LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Catcher battle

Offline  Re: Catcher battle

Posted: March 15, 2017, 10:52 PM Post
I just don't get why you don't split time between your two 27 year old catchers in the hopes one breaks out instead of giving playing time to a 30 year old AAA journeyman.

And yes its only 262 PAs over numerous years, but Susac has a wRC+ of 104 in MLB. I'd take that over spring training stats.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 16, 2017, 12:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
endaround said:
I just don't get why you don't split time between your two 27 year old catchers in the hopes one breaks out instead of giving playing time to a 30 year old AAA journeyman.

And yes its only 262 PAs over numerous years, but Susac has a wRC+ of 104 in MLB. I'd take that over spring training stats.

I hope that the split leans heavily in favor of the "27 year old in hopes of breakout," with Pina getting a start or two a week. Meanwhile the "27 year old in hope of breakout" who goes to AAA gets to play nearly everyday there so he's ready when he gets the call.

Pina has shown some promise, so there's reason to believe that he can put up adequate numbers as a backup. I like the depth of having three catchers who are capable of playing in the majors. No reason to jettison one of them when you have the option of stashing someone at AAA.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Catcher battle

Posted: March 16, 2017, 1:27 PM Post
I think Bandy deserve one spot at this point

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 16, 2017, 1:47 PM Post
27 or 30, what does it matter? None of these guys are the "catcher of the future." If Pina can hit, at least he's a flip candidate at the deadline. Susac didn't hit in CS, he's not hitting now. It's not just the stats, watching his approach he looks lost.

Even with all that, I really wouldn't mind going with him and Bandy. But since Susac has options, to me that makes the decision easier to send him down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 16, 2017, 10:37 PM Post
Yea I'm fully aboard the Bandy starting with Pina as his backup train. I would like to see what Bandy could do with a full year as a starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 17, 2017, 6:25 AM Post

Roster Guru
point made on brewers.com that i didn't even consider until i read it: when you trade your starting catcher (martin maldonado) for another catcher, you likely don't intend for that acquisition to be playing in the minors, or even playing as a backup with the big league club.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 17, 2017, 8:03 AM Post
Susac is also out a few days with neck stiffness so that puts him even further behind.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 17, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
djoctagone said:
point made on brewers.com that i didn't even consider until i read it: when you trade your starting catcher (martin maldonado) for another catcher, you likely don't intend for that acquisition to be playing in the minors, or even playing as a backup with the big league club.

Might be true if we were competing, but not really true in a rebuild. We likely traded Maldonado for Bandy in order to gain a younger guy with higher upside and more team control. Whether he starts in the MLB this year or next year was probably a secondary focus at the time of the trade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 11:41 AM Post

Roster Guru
many predicted this, because it was the only move that assured keeping three catchers on the 40-man roster: barring injury, manny pina makes the 25-man roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 12:45 PM Post

Roster Guru
i'm trying to remember when the brewers last tried to more evenly split catching duties . . . 2003 with keith osik and eddie "he hit the pole! he hit the pole!" perez?

craig counsell hints that 2017 catching duties will be split more evenly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 12:53 PM Post
They will only be split until one guy starts smacking the ball around the park and then the decision will be pretty easy for Counsell.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 1:44 PM Post

Roster Guru
different management back then, but if i recall correctly, for the most part, eddie perez caught for the same three starters and keith osik for the other two. i sincerely doubt that counsell will be taking the approach of designated catcher for certain starters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 4:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you are splitting catcher's playing time, tying them to certain SPs is the normal way to do it. Doesn't have to be 100%, but it makes sense to allow a pitcher to get comfortable with one instead of swapping them around all the time.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Catcher battle

Posted: March 23, 2017, 5:36 PM Post
Manny has had a good offseason so far deserves a spot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2017, 5:39 PM Post
What Brewer pitcher was it that just seemed to have the worst chemistry and communication with Lucroy? Randy Wolf? They seemed to need mound visits every inning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2017, 12:25 PM Post
So not trying to hijack the Will Smith thread. Some talk was to why arent these catchers taking reps at 1b? Having 3 catchers make the roster. Think of it positively, which of Bandy/Susac starts at AAA, will do so with catching Hader, Woodruff, Jungmann, maybe Lopez and Im sure Im forgetting some. But he'll get reps with them. Say one of them take a personal liking to having him catch his starts, that may produce earlier success when they reach the ML team. Its not like the Brewers are stuck with 3 catchers til their contracts end. Trading 1 of the 3 by this deadline and replacing with the 3rd, at a time youd think Hader or Woodruff would be called up. The winner between the 3 may just be who starts in AAA andgets reps with the future, vs the rebuilders.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2017, 1:40 PM Post
Yeah, there's no reason to go with 3 right now. Just not enough versatility there. Even if you could stick one of them at 1st in a pinch, that's not even really useful enough with then likely being behind Thames, Shaw, and maybe even Aguilar there.

Susac will head to AAA if healthy and be up soon enough if he produces there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2017, 1:33 PM Post
adambr2 said:
What Brewer pitcher was it that just seemed to have the worst chemistry and communication with Lucroy? Randy Wolf? They seemed to need mound visits every inning.

Peralta was always bad. Wolf was bad as well.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2017, 9:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
So not trying to hijack the Will Smith thread. Some talk was to why arent these catchers taking reps at 1b? Having 3 catchers make the roster. Think of it positively, which of Bandy/Susac starts at AAA, will do so with catching Hader, Woodruff, Jungmann, maybe Lopez and Im sure Im forgetting some. But he'll get reps with them. Say one of them take a personal liking to having him catch his starts, that may produce earlier success when they reach the ML team. Its not like the Brewers are stuck with 3 catchers til their contracts end. Trading 1 of the 3 by this deadline and replacing with the 3rd, at a time youd think Hader or Woodruff would be called up. The winner between the 3 may just be who starts in AAA andgets reps with the future, vs the rebuilders.

Even if the catcher isn't called up later, I like having a solid catcher at AAA working with the young, talented pitching prospects.

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2017, 6:14 AM Post

Roster Guru
anyone recall the last time in-season the brewers carried four catchers on the 40-man roster?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply