LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 227 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

Offline  Re: 2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!
Posted: May 14, 2017, 11:42 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Biggest fear is Brewers rush it like Astros. I mean it has been working out with Astros but thought the started selling off deep farm a little too early. Like someone said just before, this rebuilding team.... trust the process. If we make WC with talent we have & call up...Great! But in no way should they even consider buying. I'd still sell certain players off to make room for the future like Woodruff & Hader to get experience.

I don't think we have the luxury as a small market to "wait." Looking at the FA pitching the next couple years it's weak, so either way we will probably have to acquire via trade. Whenever the time comes the team looks ready it's time to roll with it IMO. If we end up like Houston so be it, they're a good squad.

I would guess right now DS is figuring out which of Broxton, Santana, Brinson, Phillips, etc are the most valuable and then unload a couple of them. I know folks keep clamoring for Braun to go but I don't see it, he's just too good a player to unload unless it's an offer we can't refuse. It's not like his salary is hurting anything with the amount of cheap controlled players coming up. I think it's more likely Braun retires a Brewer or leaves at the very end of his career like Soriano did with the Cubs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 6:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
Trust the process indeed. I think they are best to make small moves for pitchers, not unloading a bunch of talent for one. Yesterday definitely was an all timer! I really don't think they should be focusing much on this year except understanding the talent and where they fit long term. Help them keep growing as players! Fun stuff.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 6:37 AM Post
I still think they flip Garza and, if the return is good, Guerra. This team has been fun as hell to watch, but the offense is covering up a whole lotta warts on the pitching side. Deal Garza and Guerra, put Wily in the pen, bring up Lopez and Espino and let the cards fall where they may.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 6:56 AM Post
Brew4U said:
MadThinker88 said:
This is still a rebuilding year & the process should not be rushed.
It is great and exciting that team is currently doing well (personally I'm happy for the club & its fans) but rebuilding & development still needs to be done, with focus on the pitching staff (rotation & bullpen).

Assuming this process is not rushed for short-sighted chases in 2017 & 2018, the outlook for 2019 & beyond is looking very bright...

Save this junk for another thread. It's World Series or bust for the Brewers this season!

WORLD SERIES HERE WE COME BABAYYYYYY!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:16 AM Post
Get Guerra back, trade for a top level pitcher like Quintana. Pitching problems are fixed, championship.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
I still am a little skeptical that the offense will hold up over the long term but this sure has been a lot more exciting than I was expecting 2017 to be. A lot of the hitters are just playing so much better than they ever have or were really ever projected to. Pitching is the question mark but rather than trading for an expensive starter comes June or July I would rather give Woodruff, Hader, or Lopez a shot. They won't cost anything. I am sure their are some relievers in AA and AAA that could help to. I don't think Stearn will trade away any significant MILB talent this year but if he does it would likely be out of the OF surplus.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:41 AM Post
fondybrewfan said:
I still am a little skeptical that the offense will hold up over the long term but this sure has been a lot more exciting than I was expecting 2017 to be. A lot of the hitters are just playing so much better than they ever have or were really ever projected to. Pitching is the question mark but rather than trading for an expensive starter comes June or July I would rather give Woodruff, Hader, or Lopez a shot. They won't cost anything. I am sure their are some relievers in AA and AAA that could help to. I don't think Stearn will trade away any significant MILB talent this year but if he does it would likely be out of the OF surplus.

What's exciting is that the offense is coming from players blossoming at one time, Shaw, Broxton,, Perez, Santana, Pina, Thames, Aguilar, Bandy who are all controllable. Maybe, just maybe these guys are very good. Keith Hernandez who knows hitting, was raving about Perez all weekend even daring to say he looks a bit like Miguel Cabrera at the plate. Perez has been around Cabrera and no doubt learned some things. Pina has looked like a natural hitter from day one. It's astounding it took so long for him to get to majors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:41 AM Post
fondybrewfan said:

What's exciting is that the offense is coming from players blossoming at one time, Shaw, Broxton,, Perez, Santana, Pina, Thames, Aguilar, Bandy who are all controllable. Maybe, just maybe these guys are very good. Keith Hernandez who knows hitting, was raving about Perez all weekend even daring to say he looks a bit like Miguel Cabrera at the plate. Perez has been around Cabrera and no doubt learned some things. Pina has looked like a natural hitter from day one. It's astounding it took so long for him to get to majors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:42 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Get Guerra back, trade for a top level pitcher like Quintana. Pitching problems are fixed, championship.

There actually is merit in the notion of trading for Quintana. He is signed through 2020 with club options so he could be the teams ace while the young guys get worked into the rotation. I certainly wouldn't want them to trade for a rental but that is a guy that makes total sense to acquire.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 9:26 AM Post
I love this team just as much or more than our previous playoff teams. They are so exciting to watch, and we have so much depth in our lineup. Now let's get Guerra back, bring up Espino and keep on winning!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 11:52 AM Post
Ennder said:
tmwiese55 said:

There actually is merit in the notion of trading for Quintana. He is signed through 2020 with club options so he could be the teams ace while the young guys get worked into the rotation. I certainly wouldn't want them to trade for a rental but that is a guy that makes total sense to acquire.

Hope the White Sox need lots of OFs. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2017, 2:54 PM Post
yoshii8 said:
I love this team just as much or more than our previous playoff teams. They are so exciting to watch, and we have so much depth in our lineup. Now let's get Guerra back, bring up Espino and keep on winning!!

At least more fun than the playoff teams this century. This team sort of has the feel of the 78 or 80 Brewers. The 80 team had tons of offense, but was held back by pitching, 78 had the shock of being good after a number of poor years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:15 AM Post
MadScientist said:
yoshii8 said:

At least more fun than the playoff teams this century. This team sort of has the feel of the 78 or 80 Brewers. The 80 team had tons of offense, but was held back by pitching, 78 had the shock of being good after a number of poor years.

Reminds me of the 1987 season. Had a bad 1986 season. Not much pitching outside of Teddy. Surhoff had a good rookie season, everyone had a pretty good offensive season other than Cooper so we were scoring lots of runs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:29 AM Post
Maybe 07 season as a comp, they started out really well and then blew it to the Cubs I believe and didn't make the playoffs. Team was very young and their first taste of being good leading to the solid years coming afterwards that we had. Hopefully that's the case here too but it ends with a WS win instead of NLCS

Last edited by tmwiese55 on May 16, 2017, 9:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:30 AM Post
At what point does Jesus Aguilar become an everyday player? I get that it is nice to have a big bat off the bench, but if he is as good as he has looked so far this year, wouldn't we want his production on an everyday basis?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
shanedog19 said:
At what point does Jesus Aguilar become an everyday player? I get that it is nice to have a big bat off the bench, but if he is as good as he has looked so far this year, wouldn't we want his production on an everyday basis?

Should get plenty of ABs for Braun and giving Thames days off vs lefties (though Thames seems to have no issues with lefties so far). Let's just say I agree I'd rather him in at 1B and Thames in LF than to have Franklin out there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:02 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
shanedog19 said:

Should get plenty of ABs for Braun and giving Thames days off vs lefties (though Thames seems to have no issues with lefties so far). Let's just say I agree I'd rather him in at 1B and Thames in LF than to have Franklin out there.

Aguilar needs to play. Agreed times 1000.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2017, 11:25 PM Post
It's fun to have 2 bench guys who most everybody agrees need to be in the lineup everyday--and that does not even account for the "backup" catcher--whoever that is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2017, 5:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
Every year it seems we complain about having a terrible bench. Let's enjoy the luxury of having a really good bench for once. Most teams don't have the luxury of having 3 .800+ OPS players on the pine to plug in on a daily basis as spot starters or pinch hitters when needed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2017, 6:00 AM Post
Sogard is going to become the next T Plush if he keeps this up with those nerd glasses.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 227 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply