LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next  [ 510 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

Offline  Re: 2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!
Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:39 PM Post
The Brewers are on pace for 90+ wins.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:44 PM Post
I can't get over how much depth we have. Braun and Shaw haven't even been playing and we still have AAA OF. Feel like while we are giving long leashes to pitchers, we have options to replace in minors And that replacement has begun, which could bear fruit. And if arcia starts hitting... Watch out!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 4:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
SomewhereInTime said:
Your first place Milwaukee Brewers!!!!

The season is at the quarter pole (41 games in) and the Brewers are leading the NL Central while the AAA team has some quality talent waiting in the wings and a 23-12 record of their own. I have been cautiously optimistic at best to this point, but it is difficult not to let excitement creep in for the remainder of this season as well as the years to come.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:38 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

I've got money on the over of 70.5!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:32 AM Post
Have to like the way the guys are playing right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 7:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
brewmann04 said:
Have to like the way the guys are playing right now.

Without Braun and Thames.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 7:27 AM Post
Get a W today and 2/3 this weekend and I consider us locks for the pennant.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:02 AM Post
Tim Van Vorran was on the radio this morning and he attributed a good chunk of the success to the team taking on the scrappiness and hard work of CC.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:13 AM Post
stalton said:
Tim Van Vorran was on the radio this morning and he attributed a good chunk of the success to the team taking on the scrappiness and hard work of CC.

Drivel. I don't even know what scrappiness means, but I'm pretty sure hitting the snot out of the ball is the reason they're in 1st place. Last year they had a losing record, guessing it's not because they didn't work hard and this year they are. But the sports media in Wisconsin, in general, knows very little about baseball so it's easy to just throw out "my oh my what a scrappy group."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:23 AM Post
That's the ESPN talking head bs creeping into everything. Who wants it more, who's clutch, who's distracted by something else etc. It's almost always about the actual game, not some mythological unprovable mental thing.

Cuban had a takedown of Skip/Stephen A about this after the Mavs beat the Heat. Was pretty much spot on and did it to them live. They were trying to blame LBJ's being mentally weak, choking, etc as the reason. At least I think it was them, might've been someone else on espn.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
stalton said:

Drivel. I don't even know what scrappiness means, but I'm pretty sure hitting the snot out of the ball is the reason they're in 1st place. Last year they had a losing record, guessing it's not because they didn't work hard and this year they are. But the sports media in Wisconsin, in general, knows very little about baseball so it's easy to just throw out "my oh my what a scrappy group."

OPTIMISM THREAD! THEY ARE THE SCRAPPIEST BUNCH OF SCRAPPERS THAT EVER SCRAPPED.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:16 AM Post
That's why I'm optimistic. They may actually have enough talent to compete, and not have to rely on scrappiness, grittiness, blue collar effort, or any other magical quality to win games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:43 AM Post
Which brings us back to page 1 of the thread.

'We gotta get it done on the field this year...and we can! We got the fighters, we got the gamers, we got the hard workers.'

- Ned Yost, 2005

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:06 AM Post
Not only are we in first place but as of this moment, the rest of the division is out!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:30 AM Post
I love this thread by the way. One of my all time Brewerfan favorites.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:30 AM Post
I don't know about scrappiness but this team is fun to watch. Two big free agent acquisitions and the rest are young, cost-controlled guys working hard and getting it done. Thames has been great, Feliz not so much. There are many teams out there with huge payrolls and the highly paid free agents they signed are not doing what they're expected to do. This team only has one.

I also think the manager is pretty good too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:40 AM Post
homer said:
FVBrewerFan said:
stalton said:

I think this thread is a bunch of scrap! [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
FVBrewerFan said:
stalton said:

This reminds me of a debate among friends from years ago, a more suitable Phil Garner nickname... "Scrap-Iron" or Iron Scrap?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 4:58 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
MrTPlush said:

I've got money on the over of 70.5!

I was in Vegas before the season but couldn't find lower than 71.5

I feel pretty good so far with my over bet.

Also feel pretty good about my longshot $5 to win $700 on a Brewers pennant

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:04 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
That's the ESPN talking head bs creeping into everything. Who wants it more, who's clutch, who's distracted by something else etc. It's almost always about the actual game, not some mythological unprovable mental thing.

Cuban had a takedown of Skip/Stephen A about this after the Mavs beat the Heat. Was pretty much spot on and did it to them live. They were trying to blame LBJ's being mentally weak, choking, etc as the reason. At least I think it was them, might've been someone else on espn.

I don't know, I'm kinda ok with talk like that. It's not true at all, and is definitely mostly garbage but it does help give an explanation to the casual fans. The casual fan loves to think his team wants it more and is full of born winners that just get the jobs done. They don't want to hear a bunch of stats they've never heard of.

With local sports talk radio, why not simplify things a bit so maybe more casual fans come out and enjoy a game? Even if it's not really true.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next  [ 510 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply