LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 position player group

Offline  Re: 2017 bench

Posted: March 30, 2017, 8:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ennder said:
I don't like keeping Aguilar on the team to be honest. He needs full time ABs and I just don't see how he is getting them at the majors. If this were a likely playoff team and him filling in with quality ABs could be the difference between the playoffs or not I would understand it. Now it just seems like limiting his upside by keeping him on the bench a bunch.

It will be interesting to see how often Thames is used as a corner OF. If they like Thames in the OF/Aguilar at 1B more than Perez in the OF/Thames at 1B, then Aguilar could see a decent number of PAs this year.

Otherwise, Aguilar isn't going to see many PAs as "primary power bat off the bench" with the occasional start at first.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2017, 10:39 AM Post
monty57 said:
Ennder said:
I don't like keeping Aguilar on the team to be honest. He needs full time ABs and I just don't see how he is getting them at the majors. If this were a likely playoff team and him filling in with quality ABs could be the difference between the playoffs or not I would understand it. Now it just seems like limiting his upside by keeping him on the bench a bunch.

It will be interesting to see how often Thames is used as a corner OF. If they like Thames in the OF/Aguilar at 1B more than Perez in the OF/Thames at 1B, then Aguilar could see a decent number of PAs this year.

Otherwise, Aguilar isn't going to see many PAs as "primary power bat off the bench" with the occasional start at first.

I would like to see Thames/Aguilar splitting games 50/50 for the first three weeks at least. Aguilar all the lefties and a few righties. That should be enough games played for both to stay/get on track.

I could see if Thames and Aguilar are both hot, that Thames could take some Santana and Braun games started when a righty is pitching.

I would be hesitant to take too many of Santana's games, time to see what he can be. But Braun needs to be given days off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2017, 10:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would like to see Thames/Aguilar splitting games 50/50 for the first three weeks at least.

I get where you're going after how spring training went, but the Brewers just signed Thames to a three-year deal, while Aguilar was a waiver wire claim. I don't think there's any way they're splitting time unless Thames really stinks for an extended period.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017 position player group

Posted: April 24, 2017, 6:04 AM Post

Roster Guru
it should be noted that since designating kirk nieuwenhuis for assignment, the brewers have been operating with a four-man position player group. seeing that they won't have use of the dh until june, one has to wonder how long the club will operate this way . . . especially without a true center fielder on the roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 6:18 AM Post
I know he was 0 for 4 with 3 K's, but the lineup with Thames in RF and Aguilar at 1B is one that Counsell needs to stick with for a while. Santana isn't the everyday answer and Aguilar needs regular ABs. Another option we should see more of if Aguilar falters is Thames in RF, Shaw at 1B and Perez at 3B. Shaw's lack of range at 3B is pretty noticeable and might have cost them a game in Chicago when he couldn't come up with a play on what turned out to be the key hit of the game for Cubs.

With both Brinson and Cordell swinging hot bats, the OF might look a lot different in August and September but for now, they need to find production.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 7:17 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I know he was 0 for 4 with 3 K's, but the lineup with Thames in RF and Aguilar at 1B is one that Counsell needs to stick with for a while. Santana isn't the everyday answer and Aguilar needs regular ABs. Another option we should see more of if Aguilar falters is Thames in RF, Shaw at 1B and Perez at 3B. Shaw's lack of range at 3B is pretty noticeable and might have cost them a game in Chicago when he couldn't come up with a play on what turned out to be the key hit of the game for Cubs.

With both Brinson and Cordell swinging hot bats, the OF might look a lot different in August and September but for now, they need to find production.

Perez shouldn't be starting everyday over Shaw and I am not ready to just throw the towel in on Santana to give at bats to Aguilar. That seems really short-sighted and misguided.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 7:51 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

A week ago Santana’s wRC was 130 with a BABIP at .259. I will admit that his inability to elevate the ball has been a disturbing. He had a terrible week, but he is still 24 with a 107 wRC in his 200 PAs. Aguilar had a nice spring, but I fail to see how he offers more present production or long term upside to the organization.
You complain about lack of present production in one sentence, than you want Perez whose breakout year was an 89 wRC at a position that averages 106. Santana is 1.5 years younger, and has never failed to outhit Perez including so far this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 8:56 AM Post
Scooter has played 2B/3B/LF/RF for the Reds so far this year without an error, and has an .895 OPS (small sample alert).

So it is no longer a theory as to whether he can play multiple positions in MLB, he is doing it.

He is about to turn 27 and won't be a free agent until 2020, he was not considered a long term part of the rebuilding Brewers, which could have been shortsighted but Stearns evaluated the talent levels and saw Villar/Perez/Diaz and Dubon as having better longterm potential and longer years of being under team control than Scooter, with a lower cost. I get it.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:

So it is no longer a theory as to whether he can play multiple positions in MLB, he is doing it.

Meh, you can put anyone out in positions and say they are "doing it." We'll see what this looks like come years end. I still have no problem with cutting him. I guess the one you could say he maybe should've been kept over is Aguilar. Time will tell.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 9:46 AM Post
Brew4U said:
3and2Fastball said:

Meh, you can put anyone out in positions and say they are "doing it." We'll see what this looks like come years end. I still have no problem with cutting him. I guess the one you could say he maybe should've been kept over is Aguilar. Time will tell.

I think that is true with many of the multiple position players. Villar is average to below average at most of the defensive positions he plays. Same to a lesser degree with Ben Zobrist even, who is a poster child for the supersub/utiltity freak types. Javier Baez is an exception.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017 position player group

Posted: April 24, 2017, 10:46 AM Post
So errors are the deciding factor for defensive ability...Yikes. That's just horribly wrong to say after thousands of innings let alone 7-17 innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 11:41 AM Post
Brew4U said:
3and2Fastball said:

That's the Stearns philosophy, versatility over performance.

Exhibit Scooter vs what ultimately became Franklin.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 11:57 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
That's the Stearns philosophy, versatility over performance.

Exhibit Scooter vs what ultimately became Franklin.

Sure.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 11:59 AM Post
Other thing to remember for Scooter is that it might not have been purely on the field baseball related. He was getting 2.5 mil this season, his replacement should be around 550K. This was also a move to save 2 million dollars. Basically deciding that however much better he might be vs his replacement, he wasn't better by enough to spend 5x as much money. Basically the decision was he wasn't worth 2.5 mil unless he was a starter playing nearly every day. And going into the year you had your seemingly super util guy in Perez already, not a need for another if it costs 2.5 mil instead of 500K. I like Scooter as much as the next guy, but I totally get it. Have to pay for those new concession stands!!

Last edited by tmwiese55 on April 24, 2017, 12:35 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
Exactly. If Scooter was league minimum he might still be on this team. The Brewers gambled by signing him, hoping he could be trade bait but no one took us up on it. Is what it is. Villar needs to play everyday, is the better player, and has more upside. None of that is debatable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 6:06 AM Post

Roster Guru
bork said:
I'm a bit surprised they didn't call up a bat for a few days while Shaw is out (instead of Brent Suter). The bench is really short-handed now.

agreed . . . especially with eric thames needing rest for his legs as well. at this point, any hitter could be brought up:

--yadiel rivera could be recalled to allow hernan perez to play left field

--any outfielder on the 40-man could be recalled

--ivan de jesus, jr. or kyle wren could have his contract selected (wren could be optioned back; de jesus would have to be outrighted to be sent down)

but when the brewers can't get their starters to last more than six innings, an extra arm takes precedence.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 6:50 AM Post
Scooter is a truly terrible OF. I do not miss him at all from this team. He would be the 3rd best utility guy

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:24 PM Post
Not sure what the best thread for this is, but this seems as good as any:

Who is our emergency catcher? And likewise, if we need to call on a position player to pitch, who would be the first name(s) called upon?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:48 PM Post
Perez

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:54 PM Post
Lathund said:
Not sure what the best thread for this is, but this seems as good as any:

Who is our emergency catcher? And likewise, if we need to call on a position player to pitch, who would be the first name(s) called upon?

If Lee Tunnell and Marcus Hannel get caught in a freak traffic jam and miss the plane for a road trip, Darnell Coles gets shingles and is out for a coupla weeks, Counsell and Pat Murphy get thrown out of a game and Windmill Ed catches a line drive in the temple, Is Derek Johnson the 1st base coach, pitching coach, hitting coach AND active manager?

Who would coach the yahoos in the bullpen!?!?

There are certain ifs, buts, and what-have-yous that are more important than others.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply