LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 213 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 bullpen

Offline  Re: 2017 bullpen
Posted: April 09, 2017, 9:19 AM Post
Tank move. No way Goforth is one of our best 13 pitchers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2017, 9:46 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
Tank move. No way Goforth is one of our best 13 pitchers.

So, having the last bullpen spot with an awful pitcher is a tank move? Doubt that is the thought process.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
Scahill should of got the call.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2017, 9:15 AM Post
So far the bullpen is looking pretty terrific (except for Marinez).

Barnes and Knebel seem particularly impressive, and holy cow is the Feliz signing looking like a great choice so far despite the one hiccup so far.

Looking forward to seeing what we can get for Feliz at the trade deadline. Lots of teams are going to want a closer who can touch 100 if he continues his success.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2017, 9:23 AM Post
Also I know I'm a little late to the game but holy crap did Jungmann look terrible before getting sent down. His fastball looked super straight and very hittable, I was amazed he almost got out of that inning.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2017, 9:34 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Think the bullpen has been more lucky than good to this point. They have the second-worst bullpen BB/9 in baseball, and the fifth-worst K/9. Doubt either of those continue to be as bad going forward, but are warning signs all the same. It does help that they are inducing a lot of ground balls.

I have been impressed by Knebel. Look like he could be the next great bullpen trade piece if he can continue to locate his curve.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 13, 2017, 9:35 AM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
Also I know I'm a little late to the game but holy crap did Jungmann look terrible before getting sent down. His fastball looked super straight and very hittable, I was amazed he almost got out of that inning.

His fastball has always been straight like that and sadly I think hitters are very aware. He just does have the arsenal to be good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 14, 2017, 6:25 AM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:
it should be noted that unlike the bench, many of the bullpen spots will likely be filled by players with minor league options remaining (number remaining listed in parentheses after his name). it's been a while since the brewers have had that kind of roster flexibility in their bullpen.

the brewers have lost a degree of flexibility with relievers on the 40-man with their transactions this month. the only relievers currently on the 25-man that can be optioned are two players who have yet to allow an earned run.

jacob barnes (2)
oliver drake (0)
neftali feliz (2, but with service time, able to refuse optional assignment)
jared hughes (0)
corey knebel (1)
jhan marinez (0)
tommy milone (0, currently in the starting rotation)
carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

tyler cravy
taylor jungmann (is now being stretched out as a starter)
brent suter

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 14, 2017, 6:51 AM Post
djoctagone said:
djoctagone said:
it should be noted that unlike the bench, many of the bullpen spots will likely be filled by players with minor league options remaining (number remaining listed in parentheses after his name). it's been a while since the brewers have had that kind of roster flexibility in their bullpen.

the brewers have lost a degree of flexibility with relievers on the 40-man with their transactions this month. the only relievers currently on the 25-man that can be optioned are two players who have yet to allow an earned run.

jacob barnes (2)
oliver drake (0)
jared hughes (0)
corey knebel (1)
jhan marinez (0)
carlos torres (0)

already optioned, but can be recalled at any point during the season (requires a 10-day minimum stay in the minors unless replacing an injured player):

tyler cravy
taylor jungmann (is now being stretched out as a starter)
brent suter

all other optioned pitchers on the 40-man are either starters or recovering from an injury.

I don't see a serious issue. Both Marinez and Drake have to perform or they'll get DFA'd making room for a AAA arm not currently on the 40 man. The other 5 look pretty solid right now and Counsel has confidence of in any of those 5 to hold a lead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 17, 2017, 9:36 PM Post
I am curious what they will do now that it seems Garza is ready to rejoin the Brewers. I assume he will take Milone's spot in the rotation, so they have a week to decide what to do in the bullpen. I know we all want Milone to get released, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

They haven't seen much of Drake. Marinez has been shaky, but was solid last year. Barnes is the only one with options, but he has become the 7th inning guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2017, 7:44 AM Post
bork said:
I am curious what they will do now that it seems Garza is ready to rejoin the Brewers. I assume he will take Milone's spot in the rotation, so they have a week to decide what to do in the bullpen. I know we all want Milone to get released, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

They haven't seen much of Drake. Marinez has been shaky, but was solid last year. Barnes is the only one with options, but he has become the 7th inning guy.

They could go back to 13 pitchers temporarily and DFA Nieuwenhuis. If they thought he'd clear waivers and they could get him back, then you DFA Marinez.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2017, 9:16 AM Post

Roster Guru
bork said:
Barnes is the only one with options, but he has become the 7th inning guy.

there's another reliever besides barnes who can be optioned (number of remaining options listed in parentheses below). however, both of these relievers still have earned run averages of 0.00.

barring an injury to another player, a dfa or a trade is indeed looming when garza returns.
djoctagone said:

jacob barnes (2)
oliver drake (0)
jared hughes (0)
corey knebel (1)
jhan marinez (0)
carlos torres (0)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2017, 9:50 AM Post
If Barnes is optioned and we keep Milone, I'll lose my mind.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2017, 10:27 AM Post
Brew4U said:
If Barnes is optioned and we keep Milone, I'll lose my mind.

No way will they option Barnes, who has become a very reliable 7th inning guy. They are not tanking, and they won't do this.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll release Garza. Doubt it, since Stearns will want to try to get at least some value in return, but it wouldn't shock me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2017, 12:42 PM Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they let Garza get his 10 years of service time in and then just dump him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2017, 3:07 AM Post
dacbrewers said:
It wouldn't surprise me if they let Garza get his 10 years of service time in and then just dump him.

Why? Does he get a gold rolex for the occasion?

Can't imagine we'd make roster decisions based on service time milestones.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2017, 7:45 AM Post
adambr2 said:
dacbrewers said:

Hmm, talk about condescending.

No gold watch, but he becomes fully invested in his pension from the MLB at 10 years. So I could see a MLB team doing that for a player, sure.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2017, 10:14 AM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
dacbrewers said:

Hmm, talk about condescending.

No gold watch, but he becomes fully invested in his pension from the MLB at 10 years. So I could see a MLB team doing that for a player, sure.

[laughing] This coming from the guy who is constantly telling me he was just joking and to lighten up, oh the irony. Dacbrewers, I do apologize if it came off that way, it wasn't intended to be. More just my annoyance at the idea of keeping Garza a day longer than we have to, if he isn't productive when he comes back up, along with a lame attempt at humor on my part.

Seriously though, I didn't know that, good to know. As shown when he optioned Davies last year, Stearns is pretty much all business. Can't see him really caring about what is probably the difference between a player's $97K annual pension and $100K annual pension. Who knows, though .

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2017, 10:30 AM Post
Didn't Stearn more do that move with Davies in order to help whoever the minor leaguer was get a few more days of service time to get him to a certain milestone to help out the career minor leaguer? If anything it shows he's aware of these things and tries to do right by guys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2017, 10:40 AM Post
adambr2 said:
[laughing] This coming from the guy who is constantly telling me he was just joking and to lighten up, oh the irony.

[devil] The irony was you falling off your high horse.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 213 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply