LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next  [ 567 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 bullpen

Offline  Re: 2017 bullpen
Posted: July 05, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
Bullpen is starting to look a lot better recently. I like Barnes/Blazek/Drake/Hader/Hughes/Knebel a lot.

Hughes and Drake have gotten so much grief this year on these forums, which has really surprised me because they've both pitched pretty well.

If you take out 1 bad performance each where they gave up 4 ER in a single outing, Hughes sits at a 2.23 ERA and Drake (with the Brewers) at a 3.23 ERA.

I'm not entirely convinced this team needs to go get any bullpen pieces at the deadline. Torres/Scahill probably aren't guys you want in there for a playoff run, but I'm comfortable giving some internal options the chance to stick for the rest of the year. I'd at least like to see Wang/Lopez/Archer given chances.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2017, 2:31 PM Post
in the past month Drake, Barnes & Hughes have given up only 0 ER in 25.2 IP! and you can add in Blazek's 0 ER in 4 IP now that he's back up too. in addition, Torres & Hader have only given up 4 ER in 22.1 IP (2 each)- its not just runs either- all of them have great WHIPS and OPS splits as well this past month. way to go guys! Hopefully a trend that continues through October...

Knebel's actually been the "weak link", but that was just one outing and has still been just as dominant otherwise. I'm just left to wonder why Scahill is still on the roster. would like to see Jungmann again or Wang given a chance. and would have to think that Webb will be back up soon and Jeanmar Gomez will be given a shot. so i'll fear not. either way, cannot wait until Woodruff is back healthy and added to the mix in some way- whenever that is. things are looking up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2017, 8:09 PM Post
Thanks for mentioning the zero earned runs...jinx.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2017, 9:14 AM Post
It's hard not to be frustrated with the bullpen, but as I think about, what else can we really expect? The Crew flipped all of its best relievers for prospects either at the deadline last year or in the offseason. Management basically decided relief pitching was a crap shoot and got value where the market was willing to overpay.

We knew going in that that course of action was going to leave the team without a proven bullpen option, and so far that's hurt. I think Knebel and Barnes will be fine, and it's good they've had a chance to run through a pressure, MLB season. Hughes has looked good other than last (and both him and Knebel weren't exactly hit hard), and I feel good about Hader going forward wherever he ends up. Even Drake seems like a usable piece.

Point is, we kind of knew this was going to be the way of the season. I remember lots of posts talking about how the Brewers were going to have to win games 7-6. I think these types of streaks are what happens when you get a young team and a young, unproven bullpen. The fun part is watching how they respond. I'm excited to see what happens over the next week. Be good to get a look at how these guys play under pressure/nerves.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2017, 4:34 PM Post

Roster Guru
after today's embarrassment, one would think that the brewers would want to have fresh bullpen arms for the weekend series against the cubs.

jorge lopez could be recalled, and has not thrown much in recent days. tyler webb would be eligible to be recalled tomorrow, but he's been hit hard since being optioned. taylor jungmann just threw 6.0 yesterday, so he'd be of little help. paolo espino is scheduled to start tonight for colorado springs.

fortunately, one 40-man spot is open, and another could be created via the dfa of wily peralta. you have to think that the brewers are going to bring up at least one arm by tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 5:57 AM Post

Roster Guru
as mentioned in the minor league forum, espino was scratched last night. very likely he's recalled today to be the long guy in the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 6:37 AM Post
Seems pretty obvious Espino is on the way up, but I'd really prefer that they just DFA Peralta and leave Blazek in the pen even if he can't pitch for a few days. Blazek was doing just fine in the bullpen and I hope they don't hold this one horrible start against him too much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 6:56 AM Post

Roster Guru
if they option blazek and he ends up spending the minimum stay required (i.e. doesn't replace an injured player), he will burn his final option. blazek is a better option for 2018 (internally or as a trade candidate) if he retains that final option.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 8:33 AM Post

Roster Guru
Outlander said:
I thought they might bring up Wang but then see that they didn't pitch Espino last night and still pitched Wang 1+ innings. Therefore I imagine Espino is up but don't know if they make a second move.

wang has already burned one option. if he's optioned for more than 20 days in 2017, he burns his second option. the club may be considering delaying wang's call until a few weeks into august.

also have to consider that the sky sox are very likely bound for the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 8:41 AM Post
Since ERA is such an awful stat for small samples of relief pitching I give you scFIP stat for the Brewers. This is using mathematical models to decide hit probability and HR probability and turning it into ERA.

Swarzak - 2.49
Knebel - 3.12
Barnes - 3.62
Torres - 3.88
Drake - 4.18
Hader - 4.39
Hughes - 4.63
Scahill - 5.02
Peralta - 5.04

Not much surprising in there for me. It is nice to see that Swarzak looks to be for real. Maybe we can sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal after the season. Scahill and Peralta have been just awful. Hughes is just a filler guy at best. Drake and Torres are fine as the back end of a bullpen. Barnes probably looks the worst he has all year because he is coming off of back to back bad outings. Hader really hasn't been very good but I expect those walks to come down at some point. Hard to judge a guy that young.

The Brewers need to upgrade at least 3 arms in this bullpen to be a real playoff quality team imo. If one of those is Swarzak and Hader develops next year(and stays in pen) we may get away with just 1 more arm but it is iffy. Peralta, Hughes, Scahill all have to be gone. There is no reason Peralta or Scahill should pitch another inning for us. I'd rather they take a shot on someone in AAA than waste more time on those two.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 8:53 AM Post
I do think that if Swarzak makes a good impression over the next 2 months, it would make sense to try to resign him. I also think we should be trading for Justin Wilson if the acquisition cost can be mitigated by taking on Ian Kinsler since he will be available next year as well.

I know this thread says "2017 bullpen" but I'd appreciate some forward thinking here that we're going to need to seriously improve this bullpen next year and acquiring bullpen pieces now that will be around next year would be much appreciated. Webb was a good start but far from a guarantee, Swarzak is no guarantee to be here next year, it'd be nice to have someone to back up Knebel locked down for next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
Hmmm... it's Friday and we start a series against the Cubs tonight and yet somehow Wily Peralta is still on this roster. Anyone care to defend that position?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 9:31 AM Post
DocLuna7 said:
Hmmm... it's Friday and we start a series against the Cubs tonight and yet somehow Wily Peralta is still on this roster. Anyone care to defend that position?

Still plenty of time to get rid of him today but come game time if he's still around, you're right. It's ridiculous. Even if he wasn't terrible he still wouldn't be available for a couple days and the bullpen would be short 2 pitchers with him and Blazek unavailable.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 10:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
I really am struggling to come to grips with what's going on with Peralta and his spot on the 25 man roster still. Scahill has been bad, a few other guys have been bad, but Peralta has been an outright dumpster fire for most of the season. There's absolutely no justification any sane or reasonable person could come up with for him still being on the team at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 10:39 AM Post
Blazek, Peralta, Torres should be removed from the ML and never see a game again in a Brewer uniform. Ready or not its time to put the minors guys in and pitch. If they suck just as bad at least you found out. But continuing to leave guys on the roster that have no future in this rebuild to lose games is insanity.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 10:48 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Blazek, Peralta, Torres should be removed from the ML and never see a game again in a Brewer uniform. Ready or not its time to put the minors guys in and pitch. If they suck just as bad at least you found out. But continuing to leave guys on the roster that have no future in this rebuild to lose games is insanity.

It's also insanity to bring up guys who aren't ready. The names I keep seeing have not been doing well recently (Lopez, Burnes, Woodruff) And in the case of Woodruff, he's just coming back from injury.

With that said, If they want to DFA Blazek and Peralta, bring up Wang and Wilkerson (or Jungmann) I'm ok with that. I also have no interest in seeing any more of Scahill or Espino.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 1:53 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

It's also insanity to bring up guys who aren't ready. The names I keep seeing have not been doing well recently (Lopez, Burnes, Woodruff) And in the case of Woodruff, he's just coming back from injury.

With that said, If they want to DFA Blazek and Peralta, bring up Wang and Wilkerson (or Jungmann) I'm ok with that. I also have no interest in seeing any more of Scahill or Espino.

If the concern is guys aren't ready, they have plenty of retreads in AAA to give a shot - Cravy, Dillard, Goforth, Jeanmar Gomez, Jungmann, Wilhelmsen. I have no idea how any of those guys are doing but if they feel the young guys aren't ready there are plenty of options it would be easy to give a few games and then dump without batting an eye.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 2:24 PM Post

Roster Guru
jerichoholicninja said:
Cravy, Dillard, Goforth, Jeanmar Gomez, Jungmann, Wilhelmsen. I have no idea how any of those guys are doing.

sky sox 2017 stats

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 3:01 PM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:
if they option blazek and he ends up spending the minimum stay required (i.e. doesn't replace an injured player), he will burn his final option. blazek is a better option for 2018 (internally or as a trade candidate) if he retains that final option.

blazek will likely burn his final option unless recalled to replace an injured player. optioned today; paolo espino recalled.

some way, some how, wily peralta survives.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2017, 3:03 PM Post
djoctagone said:
djoctagone said:

blazek will likely burn his final option unless recalled to replace an injured player. optioned today; paolo espino recalled.

some way, some how, wily peralta survives.

Stearns is working out a trade.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next  [ 567 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply