LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 129 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Reds claim Scooter Gennett on waivers

Offline  Re: Reds claim Scooter Gennett on waivers
Posted: September 08, 2017, 10:35 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
That said it didn't need to be between Villar and Gennett as they could have gone with both and cut Perez, Nieuwenhuis, or Aguilar instead.

I think they would have if Scooter could play anything other than second base. That is what this all comes down to. I would love to have kept Scooter over a guy like Perez. Man would I have loved that. But when you can only put Scooter in a second base, you are just too limited.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Posted: September 08, 2017, 1:48 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Thurston Fluff said:
That said it didn't need to be between Villar and Gennett as they could have gone with both and cut Perez, Nieuwenhuis, or Aguilar instead.

I think they would have if Scooter could play anything other than second base. That is what this all comes down to. I would love to have kept Scooter over a guy like Perez. Man would I have loved that. But when you can only put Scooter in a second base, you are just too limited.

He has played some outfield for the Reds hasn't he? I imagine he could play 1st as well. Which would put him one up on Aguilar. But then the choice is about the same as Villar in that they went with the guy with more control. Perez is simply more valuable as a utility player to take Gennett over him. That leaves Nieuwenhuis. Can't really see where his value was higher than Gennett even in spring. To me the mistake was not in keeping Villar over Gennett but keeping Nieuwenhuis over him. Lesson learned. Never keep a player with more vowels than consonants in his name.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: September 08, 2017, 2:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thurston Fluff said:
Brew4U said:
Thurston Fluff said:

He has played some outfield for the Reds hasn't he? I imagine he could play 1st as well. Which would put him one up on Aguilar. But then the choice is about the same as Villar in that they went with the guy with more control. Perez is simply more valuable as a utility player to take Gennett over him. That leaves Nieuwenhuis. Can't really see where his value was higher than Gennett even in spring. To me the mistake was not in keeping Villar over Gennett but keeping Nieuwenhuis over him. Lesson learned. Never keep a player with more vowels than consonants in his name.

Aaron :-)

Posted: September 08, 2017, 3:06 PM Post
It's a surname thing.

Posted: September 09, 2017, 10:05 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
It's a surname thing.

Henry Aaron

Posted: September 09, 2017, 10:06 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
It's a surname thing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Posted: September 09, 2017, 12:54 PM Post
I thought of that later. I was thinking Aaron Rodgers. just goes to show there is no clear cut way to determine who should be kept.

Posted: September 09, 2017, 5:09 PM Post
While I'm impressed with Scooter's production this year, let's remember how much home runs are up. While Giancarlo Stanton's likely the only guy that's going to end over 50 (I don't see Judge doing it, nor Khris Davis), this season has seen a pace to break the all-time single season record.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Posted: September 10, 2017, 2:25 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
First, anyone who uses the term "utility man" to describe Scooter Gennett completely loses me on any argument they wish to make.

Secondly, if the Brewers had any inkling the first-half 2017 Gennett was who he really is, you must also consider the other move that was made to make Gennett expendable: the acquisition of Travis Shaw. Figuring on Gennett as your 2B perhaps would have forced them to consider Villar as the regular 3B against RHP (with Villar shifting to 2B and Perez to 3B against LHP). Because based on their recent histories to that point, there is just no logical reason for not having Villar starting at a position and Gennett had no value as a utility bench player due to his extreme defensive limitations.

Agreed. I've essentially looked at this as a Gennett-for-Shaw trade-off of sorts from the beginning.

I have nothing against Scooter. I'm glad he's playing well for the Reds, but his WAR for the Reds just now topped his 2013 WAR with the Brewers despite playing more than 50 additional games this season. Why? He has little range and is below league average.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 9:52 AM Post
The biggest consistency with Scooter is his team's record. He's a classic second division ball player. You will lose a ton of ball games with him in the lineup. Horrible defender, minimal range, ok pop on occasion against right handers. Most importantly, he's a total dumbass. Dumb players kill you. I'm not going to sit here and regret losing Scooter. Jeez. We needed to move on and try to get a first division talent at second for the long term.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 9:57 AM Post
Austin Tatious said:
The biggest consistency with Scooter is his team's record. He's a classic second division ball player. You will lose a ton of ball games with him in the lineup. Horrible defender, minimal range, ok pop on occasion against right handers. Most importantly, he's a total dumbass. Dumb players kill you. I'm not going to sit here and regret losing Scooter. Jeez. We needed to move on and try to get a first division talent at second for the long term.

Please explain the bolded part of you post above... Seriously, what are you basing this opinion on?

Posted: September 10, 2017, 10:03 AM Post
I saw him play for years. He made a ton of mental errors. He is not a winning baseball player. I'm glad he's gone.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 10:26 AM Post
Can you give any specific examples?

Posted: September 10, 2017, 10:35 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
newrivervalley said:
Villar is an embarrassment in the field at 2nd, SS, 3rd and CF. This year he's an embarrassment hitting. Scooter never embarrassed himself in the field, running the bases or hitting. Big mistake by Brewers picking Villar over Scooter.

Scooter had a habit of forgetting to touch 2nd base on double plays. That's pretty embarrassing.

I would think this qualifies as a solid example (from earlier in the thread). Thanks Jericho..

Posted: September 10, 2017, 10:45 AM Post
I don't know how smart or dumb Gennett is but I don't think it's fair to say he is the reason the Reds or Brewers had losing records when he was on the team. Villar isn't exactly a rocket scientist running the bases or fielding and he's on a winning team. I also think Gennett can be part of a winning team. He was let go because he wasn't good enough for a contract beyond his arbitration years and the team wasn't expected to be competitive enough to keep him around before then. So they went with players that might be.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 10:54 AM Post
Until like a couple of years ago, touching second base really didn't matter during double plays. I'm sure that's the reason the Reds are in last place.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 11:20 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
Can you give any specific examples?

More importantly, are you trying to say he was a bright player? Would any informed fan take that position?

Posted: September 10, 2017, 11:22 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
Until like a couple of years ago, touching second base really didn't matter during double plays. I'm sure that's the reason the Reds are in last place.

It's a hell of a lot more than touching second base with Gennett. Terrible base runner, not knowing how many outs there were at times, making bad decisions.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 11:25 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
I don't know how smart or dumb Gennett is but I don't think it's fair to say he is the reason the Reds or Brewers had losing records when he was on the team. Villar isn't exactly a rocket scientist running the bases or fielding and he's on a winning team. I also think Gennett can be part of a winning team. He was let go because he wasn't good enough for a contract beyond his arbitration years and the team wasn't expected to be competitive enough to keep him around before then. So they went with players that might be.

That kind of proves the point. If he were a first division player, he'd be worth money. You could win despite him, sure, if you were stuck with him but good teams would not seek him out as an answer. Top echelon teams aren't going to trot Scooter out there if they can help it. The Brewers tried to trade him before dumping him. Obviously, there wasn't enough interest or he'd be traded.

Posted: September 10, 2017, 11:30 AM Post
I'm not going to call anybody out on an individual basis, but I challenge all readers of this forum to notice and pay attention to certain trends. Certain pigmented players are dumb and inadequate while guys with less pigment are favorites and not viewed as dumb.

Sadly, Villar, Gomez, Broxton, and others are complained about loudly by some folks as dumb players while less pigmented guys get a free pass. Gennett is a dumb ball player, regardless of skin pigment, yet the guys complaining about the Villars defend the Gennetts. If it weren't sad, it would be comical. Going forward, note what you will about certain posters. If I've seen it, I'm sure others have as well. It's still out here in 2017.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 129 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply