LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Offline  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar? ----->

Posted: April 23, 2017, 7:45 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
nate82 said:
Schmi755@uwm.edu said:
I've been noticing that too. I wish that he would be a little more disciplined, and get more favorable counts. His free swinging tendencies are concerning as well. It looks like he's getting back on track in the past two games though, which is good.

Except he has been disciplined at the plate he has an OOZ% below league average. His problem is the same as Broxton's he is letting to many first pitch strikes go by. I wish batting coaches would stop telling leadoff hitters to take the first pitch.

Weeks had this problem and now Villar and Broxton have this problem. If you are consistently letting the pitcher get ahead by throwing over a strike you are playing from behind as a hitters. Average, OBP and Slugging all go down after the pitcher gets ahead of a batter. Once at two strikes it is in the pitchers favor and a hitter normally will be an out at about 80% of the time.

Yea Broxton drives me nuts with how many times he looks at pitches right down the middle and then ends up in two strike counts.

I wish we could get Dale Sveum back as the hitting coach. He would have the Brewers swinging at the first pitch and being aggressive. The Brewers need to be aggressive at the plate right now with the first pitch especially Broxton and Villar. They need to stop falling behind as they are not good enough as hitters to be falling behind and even some of the greatest hitters who get to two strikes don't hit all that well being behind.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: April 24, 2017, 8:49 AM Post
To answer the question posted in the thread title, the time to start worrying about Villar would be after about 200 at bats, emphasis on the word "start"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: April 24, 2017, 9:22 AM Post
I actually have thought he's played pretty good as of late. Base running, defense, and bat is starting to get better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2017, 5:38 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I actually have thought he's played pretty good as of late. Base running, defense, and bat is starting to get better.

He's got a long way to go still.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2017, 7:31 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Brew4U said:

He's got a long way to go still.

Not really. Continues what he has done the last week and he is perfectly fine.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2017, 8:21 AM Post
3 walks to 2 Ks in the past 2 games is a good sign.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2017, 6:47 AM Post
May: .150/.190/.300 with 7 K's in 20 ABs.

Overall: .197/.255/.323 and a -0.6 WAR with an OPS+ of 51. Yet he's in the lineup every day leading off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2017, 7:26 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
May: .150/.190/.300 with 7 K's in 20 ABs.

Overall: .197/.255/.323 and a -0.6 WAR with an OPS+ of 51. Yet he's in the lineup every day leading off.

I have no problem giving Villar a long leash based on last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2017, 12:21 PM Post
Villar isn't getting platooned, at least not this early. He was a highly effective player last year and they need to give him more than a month to show he can be that player again.

With that said I would also be in favor of him moving out of the leadoff spot -- it might make sense to flip him with Broxton right now. They need to have a longer leash than this as a starter but not necessarily as a leadoff man.

I do wonder how often it creeps into his mind that he turned down 20 million dollars and what it's going to mean for his financial future if he can't get it together.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2017, 4:23 PM Post
I'm fine with moving Villar down until he starts hitting, heck you could lead Broxton off since he is hitting over .300 over the past 14 games. There is no reason to platoon him though. Guys start slow, you just push through it and it goes away.

Not counting today in his past 15 games he is hitting .258 with a .652 OPS. Not setting the world on fire but it isn't like he is just awful either. He struck out 26% of the time and walked 7%. Last year he struck out 26% and walked 12%. He hasn't been all that far off the last couple of weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2017, 6:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
Let's just chill right out with the personal attacks and keep this on topic please, ok, thanks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 5:32 AM Post
I believe this board has a friend/foe feature to manage those who you are not interested in seeing posts from. Pretty simple solution IMO.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 6:38 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I believe this board has a friend/foe feature to manage those who you are not interested in seeing posts from. Pretty simple solution IMO.

Thank you!

Done

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 7:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
If you want to ignore a user, simply click on their name and click on "add foe". You will see that they posted something but will not see the content.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 8:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
To topic, it is odd that Villar is the only guy on the team to play in every game. I still believe he'll straighten things out, and am impressed that his defense seems to be looking better than it did to start the season. But I don't think it would hurt to give him a day off now and then, or to move him down in the lineup until he heats up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 8:56 AM Post
monty57 said:
To topic, it is odd that Villar is the only guy on the team to play in every game. I still believe he'll straighten things out, and am impressed that his defense seems to be looking better than it did to start the season. But I don't think it would hurt to give him a day off now and then, or to move him down in the lineup until he heats up.

Yeah, it would seem to be a perfect spot to get Perez some at bats, especially when Braun comes back.

And I thought maybe the Brewers are hesitant to move Villar down the batting order because they thinkg that would screw up Broxton, if he batted first. But looking at Broxton's limited stats of him batting first, plus leading off an inning he seems to be fine.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 10:29 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Thanks for this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 11:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
Guys - please stop beating dead horses and posting "I told you so" jabs. We are going to start deleting that stuff since it tends to send threads off topic rather quickly. Also, if this does happen do not respond with name calling or condescending posts. Consider this a universal warning on both counts. This is the second time I've had to intervene and delete/edit a bunch of posts related to this. I have better things to do....like my actual job.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: May 10, 2017, 2:57 PM Post
Villar gets the day off after the base running gaffes last night

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 2705675265

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 3:11 PM Post
Just had the conversation last night on this board somewhere that Broxton should be leading off in the short term to take some pressure off of Villar. Happy to see this actually. If Keon has a good night at the plate again I would anticipate him leading off for a few days/weeks.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply