LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Offline  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: May 10, 2017, 5:54 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Villar gets the day off after the base running gaffes last night

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 2705675265

Guessing his first day off is not BECAUSE of his baserunning errors. It took about twenty unforced baserunning errors before that happened last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 7:00 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Villar gets the day off after the base running gaffes last night

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 2705675265

Guessing his first day off is not BECAUSE of his baserunning errors. It took about twenty unforced baserunning errors before that happened last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2017, 7:39 AM Post
Prorate is stats to his PA from last year and he has 20 HR, 32 SB, 82 R, 85 RBI. So the rate stats are right in line with last year minus a few steals.

His BB rate is right in line with last year. His ISO is higher than last year. He is roughly 7 singles away from matching last years overall numbers. BABIP this year is 50 pts below his career norms which is pretty much the difference. I hope people aren't worried about him anymore.

He is never going to be good defensively and I hope we don't sign him as our long term 2B. I hope we get something juicy for him in trade though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
He's been pretty good to me at 2B since about the second week of the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2017, 2:38 PM Post
Villar in May, while still not lighting the world on fire, has been solid enough that I don't feel an urgent need to push him down in the order. I do think that giving him a few more days off here and there than what he's gotten so far wouldn't hurt.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:22 PM Post
istanbultaye said:
Villar in May, while still not lighting the world on fire, has been solid enough that I don't feel an urgent need to push him down in the order. I do think that giving him a few more days off here and there than what he's gotten so far wouldn't hurt.

Not a big fan of his for many reasons.....
Yet, he needs to play for now. Sogard can play a couple days a week for him, though. No reason to treat a 220 hitter like the missing link when our entire lineup at AAA is hitting 300.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 9:41 PM Post
Sogard is having a great week so far but he's kind of a known quantity. His upside is nowhere near what Villar did last year. He's definitely not the answer for the Brewers at 2B, so I wouldn't be so quick to give him a bunch of Villar's playing time.

When the whole team gets healthy, Perez is going to need places to play every day, and given the insane offensive production of the entire outfield at this point plus Shaw and Thames, that really only leaves SS and 2B, so if Villar is continuing to struggle in a week or two here I wouldn't be surprised if Perez starts to see some time at 2B, especially against lefties (certainly wasn't expecting heading into this year that Villar was the guy who would need platooning).

Until then, there are plenty of spots that need filling out there and Villar has been playing better both offensively and defensively, so let's give him a chance to turn it around. If he can get back to the guy he was last year he'd be tremendously valuable to us as a team or in a trade.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Depth

Posted: May 17, 2017, 6:52 AM Post
Hmmm....Villar struggling (again) and Sogard soaring.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 7:04 AM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
Sogard is having a great week so far but he's kind of a known quantity. His upside is nowhere near what Villar did last year. He's definitely not the answer for the Brewers at 2B, so I wouldn't be so quick to give him a bunch of Villar's playing time.

When the whole team gets healthy, Perez is going to need places to play every day, and given the insane offensive production of the entire outfield at this point plus Shaw and Thames, that really only leaves SS and 2B, so if Villar is continuing to struggle in a week or two here I wouldn't be surprised if Perez starts to see some time at 2B, especially against lefties (certainly wasn't expecting heading into this year that Villar was the guy who would need platooning).

Until then, there are plenty of spots that need filling out there and Villar has been playing better both offensively and defensively, so let's give him a chance to turn it around. If he can get back to the guy he was last year he'd be tremendously valuable to us as a team or in a trade.

I'll grant you Villar's defense has improved but his hitting isn't where it needs to be. Is Villar's upside in 2017 what Villar did last year? Sogard spent almost his entire major league career playing in Oakland, with 3 times the foul territory of any other park. His WAR per B-R from 2013-2015 when he was a semi-regular were a respectable 1.9, 0.6, 1.0. So that puts his ceiling at 2.0 WAR. Villar through a quarter of the season is -0.2 and he's leading the NL in strikeouts. Sogard is a plus defender too. Nobody thinks Sogard is a long term option at 2B, but until he cools he should be getting playing time from Villar who still looks completely messed up.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Depth

Posted: May 17, 2017, 8:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:

We can't make important decisions based on small samples. Believing that Sogard is a long-term upgrade based on a few games is akin to believing that Nelson is now a stud #1 based on his last couple of outings.

Let Sogard ride out this hot streak while half our team is injured, but he'll drop back to what we expected when we picked him up. He's capable of being an okay placeholder, but not someone for the long-term plans.

Villar has a chance of becoming an above average MLB player, so we need to ride out his bad start to see if he can get things going. 25% of a season is not enough time to make that determination when he has some history of being better. I could see him getting some extra days off, or moving him down in the order, but he should remain our starting 2B. His potential upside benefit for this team, both now and for the future, is too high for us to replace him with someone with little present value and basically no future value in Sogard.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Depth

Posted: May 17, 2017, 9:49 AM Post
monty57 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

We can't make important decisions based on small samples. Believing that Sogard is a long-term upgrade based on a few games is akin to believing that Nelson is now a stud #1 based on his last couple of outings.

Let Sogard ride out this hot streak while half our team is injured, but he'll drop back to what we expected when we picked him up. He's capable of being an okay placeholder, but not someone for the long-term plans.

Villar has a chance of becoming an above average MLB player, so we need to ride out his bad start to see if he can get things going. 25% of a season is not enough time to make that determination when he has some history of being better. I could see him getting some extra days off, or moving him down in the order, but he should remain our starting 2B. His potential upside benefit for this team, both now and for the future, is too high for us to replace him with someone with little present value and basically no future value in Sogard.

.. and I think this is likely what is being suggested. If we happened to bring Sogard up at the exact time he is seeing the ball extremely well and it coincides at a time when Villar is pressing, then it might be a great time to let Villar breathe a bit. I certainly understand letting someone work their way out of a slump but it is also just as likely that someone could develop bad habits that take months to repair.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting replacing Villar permanently. But a week of limited use or careful use can be constructive.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Sorry guys, but didn't have time to figure this out. Where did Sogard come from???

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:44 AM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
Sorry guys, but didn't have time to figure this out. Where did Sogard come from???

Mr & Mrs Sogard

AAA call up. Spring Training invite.

Villar I think is improving. Defense, hitting, everything seems to be coming together a little. Diaz/Dubon are a year plus away. Hernan could force the Brewers' hand at 2B if Brinson comes up and starts raking. I think Perez is a better overall player than Villar anyways

Sogard should remain on the MLB team when Braun comes back

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 12:07 PM Post
Franklin DFA??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 12:15 PM Post
Time to start worrying about something else.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 1:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
3and2Fastball said:
RobDeer 45 said:

Mr & Mrs Sogard

AAA call up. Spring Training invite.

Villar I think is improving. Defense, hitting, everything seems to be coming together a little. Diaz/Dubon are a year plus away. Hernan could force the Brewers' hand at 2B if Brinson comes up and starts raking. I think Perez is a better overall player than Villar anyways

Sogard should remain on the MLB team when Braun comes back

Very nice on the burn! Thanks for filling me in, I appreciate it.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: May 17, 2017, 1:59 PM Post
I'm still worried about Villar. Also worried about Broxton, Arcia, Shaw, and Thames. I will always worry about guys with a limited track record in MLB. Sometimes we forget, it is very difficult to consistently be a really good MLB player. Some of these guys have had hot starts, some not so hot. But we're only at the 1/4 poll, so a long long way to go.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 4:40 PM Post
I guess I don't worry about Villar because he has over 1500 PA of perfectly acceptable offensive production for someone playing 2B. If he plays to his career averages he is a perfectly fine player. That is plenty of PA for me to say the guy has a track record. Plus looking at the stats a lot of this is just BABIP and BABIP happens. Some of it is elevated K but that was more of the case in April

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 5:56 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
I'm still worried about Villar. Also worried about Broxton, Arcia, Shaw, and Thames. I will always worry about guys with a limited track record in MLB. Sometimes we forget, it is very difficult to consistently be a really good MLB player. Some of these guys have had hot starts, some not so hot. But we're only at the 1/4 poll, so a long long way to go.

The two guys i'm confident in going forward are Shaw because he has such a pretty swing, i just wished he walked more and also Thames even though it was obvious his power numbers would come back to earth. I love his patience at the plate and bat speed which i think bodes well to being a productive hitter in general.

When it comes to Beoxton i really only worry about his really high K rate. His walk rate is also down quite a bit from last year, but he isn't a total free swinger as some low walk guys are, so i expect the walk rate to get better as the year goes along.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:52 AM Post
The only thing I worry about is Villar's mental lapses on the field. He's young and impulsive sometimes but he's been better than he was earlier this year with the stupid errors and baserunning mistakes.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply