LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Offline  Re: Time to Start Worrying About Villar?

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:23 AM Post
rcc said:
The only thing I worry about is Villar's mental lapses on the field. He's young and impulsive sometimes but he's been better than he was earlier this year with the stupid errors and baserunning mistakes.

Is he though? He got picked off twice in one game last week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
I'm still worried about Villar. Also worried about Broxton, Arcia, Shaw, and Thames. I will always worry about guys with a limited track record in MLB. Sometimes we forget, it is very difficult to consistently be a really good MLB player. Some of these guys have had hot starts, some not so hot. But we're only at the 1/4 poll, so a long long way to go.

It is very hard to be consistently good, and from that perspective, I always worry about everyone, especially players with whom we have a guaranteed multi-year commitment.

I'm looking at this thread as "are we worried enough that we make somewhat major roster decisions." In that light, right now I'm worried enough about Villar that I'd give him a day off here and there, and may move him down in the rotation, but I would not name someone else as the starter. I agree with you on Arcia, who has still not done anything at the plate to justify being in the majors. Other than injury concerns, there is nothing that would make me consider changing anything about Broxton, Shaw or Thames at this time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:33 PM Post
Agree with Monty. Once everyone is healthy again Braun, Broxton, Santana, Thames, Shaw should be more or less set in the lineup every day. If we're continuing to win you can get most of Perez's ABs from SS/2B. And some for Braun's rest days, but most of those should probably go to Jesus' until he cools down. Can maybe get Perez in vs lefties for Shaw too I suppose and whenever there's a lingering injury for someone. Basically, I have a lot of trust in all those guys right now. I still think Villar ends up fine but right now he does look way off in his approach vs last year so there is some coaching needed beyond just letting play through it.

Side note question to those more knowledgeable than me, how do you consider Perez to be as a defensive SS? I don't recall.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Agree with Monty. Once everyone is healthy again Braun, Broxton, Santana, Thames, Shaw should be more or less set in the lineup every day. If we're continuing to win you can get most of Perez's ABs from SS/2B. And some for Braun's rest days, but most of those should probably go to Jesus' until he cools down. Can maybe get Perez in vs lefties for Shaw too I suppose and whenever there's a lingering injury for someone. Basically, I have a lot of trust in all those guys right now. I still think Villar ends up fine but right now he does look way off in his approach vs last year so there is some coaching needed beyond just letting play through it.

Side note question to those more knowledgeable than me, how do you consider Perez to be as a defensive SS? I don't recall.

Perez will get as many OF starts as he got before Braun went on DL. Santana runs hot and cold. Broxton needs a day here and there too. Thames will get more rest than he did when he was on fire. Sogard is going to see a lot of middle infield action. Villar is still the starter at 2B but his time as an everyday fixture might be done unless he gets on a big time roll. Sogard earned his place on this roster. Note his zero K's in 17 AB's. Contrast that with what Nieuwenhuis did when he was around. The bench on this team is now a major strength. Franklin could be odd man out, and even he's not been terrible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:52 AM Post
Yea Broxton and Santana will still get normal days off like anyone else. I guess what I mean is that for a stretch there when they were struggling it really seemed like we had no idea who would be out there on any given day. Whereas now they've recovered so let's just give them normal starter PT and see what happens. Basically, instead of starting say 7 or 8 out of 10 games like before, 9 out of 10 now like a normal starter. But I'm also not going to get worked up about it either way since Perez is earning ABs, so it is what it is. Please no Franklin/Sogard playing over those guys though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:59 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Please no Franklin/Sogard playing over those guys though.

The crash is coming and I get the general point of your post... but until further notice Sogard should be playing over everybody.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 8:57 AM Post
Agree, just give him PT over Villar and Arcia right now until he comes back to reality.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 9:22 AM Post
Then when Sogard cools off, bring up Dejesus and ride him until he cools off. Rinse and repeat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 2:07 PM Post
Batting Villar 3rd today? Questionable at best.... possibly worst move he's made all year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 6:08 PM Post
Does Villar have options left? Seriously, when Braun is activated they'll just option Espino back down but who goes when Guerra is activated a few days later?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 6:55 PM Post
Villar isn't going anywhere. lol I swear this stuff gets more comical by the day.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 6:55 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Batting Villar 3rd today? Questionable at best.... possibly worst move he's made all year.

Not to me. The best spot to hit from is between 2 guys hitting well as they can't afford to toy with you and will offer hittable pitches. So if you feel him getting a few better pitches will help it's worth a shot.

At the end of the day though he is just cold and might need a minor league appearance to right the ship

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:13 PM Post
I'd wait until after the next homestand to look at him. He was good at home so far. It really seems like he doesn't like playing in the cold. A large number of his bad games were in cold games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:40 PM Post
I still believe in Villar and think he's a good player. Maybe not quite as good as his 2016, but much better than his 2017 so far. I would keep playing him but maybe move him down to 8, or even bat pitcher 8 and bat Villar 9. Just until he gets his stuff back together at the plate.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:52 PM Post
Villar is currently hurting the team, not contributing at all. Send him down to AAA and see if he can turn his play around. Sogard and Perez are capable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 9:38 PM Post
cmon guys. He's not getting sent down anytime soon nor should he be after last season. A few more off days here and there for now to give Perez some ABs. Maybe a move lower in the lineup if things don't change in another week or two. He's earned a long leash. It's still so early that a simple stretch of 3-4 games will move his % to respectable territory.

For example, last week Yasmani Grandal raised his avg from 214 to 276 in 4 games and one game was one pinch hit AB. Relax.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2017, 9:48 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
I still believe in Villar and think he's a good player. Maybe not quite as good as his 2016, but much better than his 2017 so far. I would keep playing him but maybe move him down to 8, or even bat pitcher 8 and bat Villar 9. Just until he gets his stuff back together at the plate.

I don't know why they haven't done this already. Take some of the pressure off him and push him down to the bottom of the lineup. I still believe in Villar as well, but he doesn't need to be batting at the top of the order every day right now.

When Braun returns I'd go

1) Broxton
2) Thames
3) Braun
4) Shaw
5) Santana
6) Bandy/Pina
7) Arcia
8) Villar
9) Pitcher

Perez can fit in there just about anywhere when he plays. Or like you said pitcher 8th and Villar 9th would actually be my preference but I don't think Counsell will do that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2017, 8:40 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
cmon guys. He's not getting sent down anytime soon nor should he be after last season. A few more off days here and there for now to give Perez some ABs. Maybe a move lower in the lineup if things don't change in another week or two. He's earned a long leash. It's still so early that a simple stretch of 3-4 games will move his % to respectable territory.

For example, last week Yasmani Grandal raised his avg from 214 to 276 in 4 games and one game was one pinch hit AB. Relax.

The Brewers sent their starting 2B down in May 2015 and their 2016 opening day starter down in June 2016. It shouldn't matter what they did the previous year or what you anticipated them doing before the season. You have to carry your weight at this level and Villar's not.

Villar has about 50 more AB's than Grandal. It's one thing when a guy like Aaron Hill in 2016 was hitting a lot of line drives and under .200. Eventually those start to fall in. But Villar, with the exception of the occasional bomb, still strikes out a lot and is making a lot of weak contact.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2017, 8:50 AM Post
Moving him to the bottom of the order means he'll get a lot less good pitches to hit. I remember JJ Hardy struggling mightily in the 8-hole, but having a lot of success in the 2-hole where he was much more likely to get better pitches because of who was batting behind him.

I'd like to see an in depth article that digs deep into advanced stats talking about Villar this year vs. last year because I want to know if there's anything significant that has stood out about his awful start this year.

After Braun gets back I think it serves the team best to have Perez/Sogard/Arcia/Villar all splitting time at SS/2B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2017, 11:17 AM Post
Pitchers aren't going to change how they pitch to Villar based on who the on deck hitter is. It just doesn't happen.

His BB% is down 3%, his K% is up 4%, his BABIP is down 100 points, his GB% is up 6%, LD % is down 3%.

He's basically been hugely worse in every measurable way this season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next  [ 221 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply