LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

I Can't Believe the Standings

Offline  Re: I Can't Believe the Standings

Posted: May 10, 2017, 10:15 PM Post

GIF Master
As I write this, we are 18-16, .5 games back of Cincy (18-15), and 1.5 games behind St. Louis (19-14).

Expected W/L, though, says we should in first place by .5 games!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 2:03 PM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
I STILL can't believe this division. I'm old enough to know that repeating as WS champs is rare. I believe in the NL the last to do it was the Big Red Machine. In spite of that I was still convinced the Cubs would do it.

Now I'm starting to doubt it. All those young guys batting sub-Mendoza in mid May! Arietta and Hendricks looking human. Maddon sticking with Schwarber at lead off because of cybermetrics!

Is it reasonable to scratch the Bucs off for the year? (Polonco went down to injury yesterday)

I get the Reds' games and I'm convinced they're legit. But for the long haul?

I haven't seen many Brewer games so far but I would be lying if I said I wasn't shocked that you are ahead of the Cubs, and I'm so down on the Cardinal FO and manager that it clouds my natural fan optimism.

What's your take at this juncture ?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 2:07 PM Post
At what point of the season do we start thinking, "Hey now... something is happening?"

I'm thinking Memorial Day for, "ok, its getting VERY interesting..."
Father's day for, "Ok, now its real"
and 4th of July for, "WS or bust!!!" [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 2:08 PM Post
Last year was the golden year for them Cubs in this competitive stretch in my opinion. They will turn it around to some degree and I fully expect them to make the playoffs, but they aren't all that special so far.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:22 PM Post
Since this is not the "optimistic" thread, I am free to say this. July 4th is WAY too early to declare WS or bust. That's only (more or less) the halfway point of the season. I've seen teams collapse in the last couple weeks, let alone the last three months.

I wouldn't write off the Cubs by any means. 3/4 of the season left, just way too early to make any conclusions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:28 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Projecting at a 1/3 chance at the playoffs with a somewhat favorable schedule over the next month. Tons of depth and potential players at AAA that could supplement the MLB roster down the stretch.

But the pitching is not likely to get any better without help. It will be interesting to see if they consider trading some of the offensive depth for pitching depth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:41 PM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
MrTPlush said:
Last year was the golden year for them Cubs in this competitive stretch in my opinion. They will turn it around to some degree and I fully expect them to make the playoffs, but they aren't all that special so far.
I can't agree with that. The WC's could both come from the West. There just ain't enough whipping boys in the Central. Four teams close in talent beating on each other all year! Even the Pirates are liable to play .500 ball.

The same scenario is playing out in the AL Central where at 5 games back the Royals are that division's Pirates.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
Since this is not the "optimistic" thread, I am free to say this. July 4th is WAY too early to declare WS or bust. That's only (more or less) the halfway point of the season. I've seen teams collapse in the last couple weeks, let alone the last three months.

I wouldn't write off the Cubs by any means. 3/4 of the season left, just way too early to make any conclusions.

I read somewhere that the Cubs had a stretch of 20 - 25 last year. No way they should be written off.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:04 PM Post
I guess I don't really see the negativity towards the pitching. If this offense is going to excel then we don't need that great of pitching. The pitching has been fine. Will it continue or get better to offset some potential offensive regression? I could see it.

This team has played like a better version of the 2010 team that won 77 games. This team has a notably better pitching staff(and for now a more productive offense). Not sure about defense, but I'd guess this one has a better defense just looking at it face value.

Right now it has played like and looks like a legitimate contender. I agree better pitcher would make that a much easier thing to imagine, but I don't think it has been as terrible as people are making it out to be.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply