LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 83 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun "likely" to go to the DL

Offline  Re: Braun "likely" to go to the DL

Posted: May 12, 2017, 1:18 PM Post
Brew4U said:

I forgot that was Sogard! This is the thing that put Garza on the road to being my least favorite Brewer ever. The call-up is worth it for the awkwardness of this alone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 1:19 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Personally, I'm thrilled for Sogard. Hasn't been in MLB since 2015, and has worked incredibly hard to get back. He's hitting .330/.421/.516 in AAA this year

Way to go Eric!!!!! Welcome back to the show!

Well that and he signed with the organization whose AAA team with the most hitter friendly environment in baseball for hitters without power. He has a .742OPS on the road, he isnt having some late career breakout or anything.

Last edited by ZBTMP on May 12, 2017, 1:46 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 1:24 PM Post

Roster Guru
sogard has one minor league option remaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 1:31 PM Post
Whoever got brought up was almost certain to ride the bench until Braun came back so Sogard is as good as anyone else to do that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 2:03 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Whoever got brought up was almost certain to ride the bench until Braun came back so Sogard is as good as anyone else to do that.

Counsell has affinity for bench players and the two guys in struggling the most in the Brewer lineup just happen to play the same positions that Sogard plays. Don't be shocked if he gets some starts. Sogard has more walks than strikeouts. He can be useful.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 2:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ahem, that is OFFICIAL FACE OF MLB 2014 RUNNER UP Eric Sogard for those of you keeping track at home. If you had any intention of attending an upcoming home game I highly recommend buying tickets now before they sell out & the secondary market goes crazy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 3:23 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Counsell has affinity for bench players and the two guys in struggling the most in the Brewer lineup just happen to play the same positions that Sogard plays. Don't be shocked if he gets some starts. Sogard has more walks than strikeouts. He can be useful.

Didn't take long, Sogard starting tonight for Arcia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 3:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
Looking forward to gettin' a Sogard jersey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 4:31 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
Eric Sogard is coming up, ugh.

Puke.

Seriously? The Brewers have two full-time OFs on the roster, and they call up hipster glasses? Dude with a career .609 OPS over >1300 PAs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 5:21 PM Post
LouisEly said:
patrickgpe said:
Eric Sogard is coming up, ugh.

Puke.

Seriously? The Brewers have two full-time OFs on the roster, and they call up hipster glasses? Dude with a career .609 OPS over >1300 PAs?

Sogard frees up Perez to be a full time outfielder for the time being. Hey we all would like to see young guys get a chance but for the short term they are going with a veteran who is off to a good start. It's not that big a deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 7:19 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
1) if the brewers were going to bring up one of the 3 prospects we talked about and not play them, there is no point.
2) maybe the brewers want to have these players stay in CS and hopefully be in a pennant race all season.

only possible reasons for this move

Who cares about CS? I thought the Brewers/Mark A were going to buy a minor league franchise and move the AAA team out of CS next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 8:31 PM Post
Sogard is just a journeyman fill-in, but he is easy to root for. And having a great game tonight.

However, I was hoping to see a 10 day preview of a future prospect. Even if the prospect sat for most of the time, it would have been useful to get the jitters out and a taste of the big leagues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2017, 8:49 PM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:
Sogard is just a journeyman fill-in, but he is easy to root for. And having a great game tonight.

However, I was hoping to see a 10 day preview of a future prospect. Even if the prospect sat for most of the time, it would have been useful to get the jitters out and a taste of the big leagues.

Strongly disagree that Sogard is easy to root for, but strongly agree that it is an optimal chance to get (Brinson/Phillips/Cordell's) feet wet and regular playing time.

For chrissakes, we think Perez is a better OF than Brinson/Phillips/Cordell?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Braun "likely" to go to the DL

Posted: May 12, 2017, 9:06 PM Post
LouisEly said:
ClosetBrewerFan said:

Strongly disagree that Sogard is easy to root for, but strongly agree that it is an optimal chance to get (Brinson/Phillips/Cordell's) feet wet and regular playing time.

For chrissakes, we think Perez is a better OF than Brinson/Phillips/Cordell?

Has nothing to do with that. Perez is there, plays a solid OF and needs the at bats. Why bring a guy up to basically sit the bench and to start service time? Just no need to bring any of those guys up if you don't have to at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2017, 6:15 AM Post
Brew4U said:

Has nothing to do with that. Perez is there, plays a solid OF and needs the at bats. Why bring a guy up to basically sit the bench and to start service time? Just no need to bring any of those guys up if you don't have to at this point.

Its for 10 days. It wont hurt the player or impact service time. I'm just saying there is an argument for calling up a prospect for a short period. He will be going doing when Braun returns but the experience would be useful.

I get that the Brewers are going to show patience here. Us fans are less patient. Probably a good thing we are not in charge. [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2017, 6:43 AM Post
I was in the camp of "let's bring up Phillips and see what he can do in 10 days" ... but thus far the Sogard call up has resulted in 4-5 with 2 HRs, 3 RBIs, while reaching base 7 out of 8 times between he and Perez. Won us the game yesterday. Stearns 1, LiveforOctober 0.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2017, 7:19 AM Post
Just glad Braun's calf strain is a grade 1, so if all goes well he should not be on DL much past the minimum 10 days.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Braun "likely" to go to the DL

Posted: May 13, 2017, 7:45 AM Post
I'm not sure it was as much the calf as just having the combo of that plus the arm. Get 10 days off and refresh that body.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2017, 7:47 AM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:

Messing up their routine would hurt them way more than sitting on a big league bench and getting one start would help them. That is what September is for. There is a reason teams don't generally call up prospects for short stints unless they are contending, it is bad for the prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2017, 12:54 PM Post
Ennder said:
ClosetBrewerFan said:

Messing up their routine would hurt them way more than sitting on a big league bench and getting one start would help them. That is what September is for. There is a reason teams don't generally call up prospects for short stints unless they are contending, it is bad for the prospect.

Cubs are calling up their top prospect Ian Happ to fill in for Russell and Bryant. As of today Cubs are a half game behind the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 83 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply