LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming

Author Message
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#21

Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:25 PM Post
Posts: 431
Well this probably explains the Jhan Marinez DFA.

They needed his spot for Espino.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#22

Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:32 AM Post
Posts: 9927
Seriously, I know this is way jumping the gun, but if Espino turns out to be this year's Junior Guerra, Stearns deserves GM of the Year.

And before anyone says he needs to have a contender -- well, if Espino turned out like that, we probably WOULD be.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#23

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:36 AM Post
Posts: 10641
adambr2 said:
Seriously, I know this is way jumping the gun, but if Espino turns out to be this year's Junior Guerra, Stearns deserves GM of the Year.

And before anyone says he needs to have a contender -- well, if Espino turned out like that, we probably WOULD be.


Without either they are a first place team a quarter into the season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#24

Posted: May 18, 2017, 7:35 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5218
It would be great if he ends up having a season like Guerra had last year, but I don't think that's the plan. I think they wanted to use the guys they had until Guerra was ready, but with the way Peralta's been pitching, and the fact they are now in first place and facing the Cubs, they didn't want him to get that start.

Espino has pitched very well this year in Colorado, and is deserving of a spot start, so he will probably get it. Then Guerra will be back, and Espino will probably go back to AAA. If there are no other needs for spot starts in the near future, he will get passed up by the top prospects, who will be called up to get starts later in the year.

This would be his spot to shine. I hope he pitches a great game and gives the Brewers something to think about. Even if that doesn't happen, he was signed as a veteran "AAA roster filler" guy, and turning that into a chance to get a start for a first place team facing the defending World Series champs gives him something to tell his grandkids.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#25

Posted: May 18, 2017, 7:49 AM Post
Posts: 5725
I like the way they're handling this. They could have easily trotted Peralta out for another start or two until Guerra comes back. Instead, they give a guy like Espino a start or two. If he pitches poorly. so what, no different that if Peralta would have started. But if he shines, now you have choices. If Davies keeps struggling, he could be sent down. If they trade Garza later on, they have a better idea if Espino can finish out the year. Or maybe they add him to the pen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#26

Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:31 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1094
Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#27

Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:39 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3050
liveforoctober said:
Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.


This.

I actually think Peralta is perfect for the pen. I think if he knew he was only pitching the one inning, he can easily get into the upper 90s with his fastball, could make a big difference. I hope they don't just make him the long man, as he'll encounter the same problems. I'd really like to see what he can do going one inning at a time.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#28

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:54 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5218
brwrsfan said:
liveforoctober said:
Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.


This.

I actually think Peralta is perfect for the pen. I think if he knew he was only pitching the one inning, he can easily get into the upper 90s with his fastball, could make a big difference. I hope they don't just make him the long man, as he'll encounter the same problems. I'd really like to see what he can do going one inning at a time.


Peralta certainly pitched his way out of the rotation, and I'm excited to see how some of the guys from the minors due. That said, this move probably assures that Peralta will be let go after the season. He's making $4.275M in his second year of arby, meaning he'll likely make $6-7M next year. If by some chance he could have "found it" as a starter, he could have justified that salary, but I can't imagine the Brewers will pay that for a middle reliever.

But, we might as well see if we can get some value out of the $4.275M we're obligated to pay, so hopefully he will pitch well out of the pen for the rest of the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#29

Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 796
liveforoctober said:
Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.



Haha I like that description, "obnoxious".


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#30

Posted: May 18, 2017, 12:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4532
wildcat2237 said:
Well this probably explains the Jhan Marinez DFA.

They needed his spot for Espino.


still don't think one had to do with the other, i think peralta had another bad outing they had to do something.

wonder what the corresponding move will be, im assuming suter is going back down, but who knows?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#31

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:03 PM Post
Posts: 431
patrickgpe said:
wildcat2237 said:
Well this probably explains the Jhan Marinez DFA.

They needed his spot for Espino.


still don't think one had to do with the other, i think peralta had another bad outing they had to do something.

wonder what the corresponding move will be, im assuming suter is going back down, but who knows?


My guess is Suter or Davies (if he pitches poorly today).

Davies next scheduled turn after today will be May 24. However, because of the off day on Monday May 22, Espino could pitch May 19 and again on regular rest on May 24.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#32

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1094
Todd Rosiak on Twitter confirming Espino is starting tomorrow.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#33

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:14 PM Post
Posts: 9927
monty57 said:
brwrsfan said:
liveforoctober said:
Whether or not Espino succeeds is another discussion … but I’m excited if he gets a spot start+ because he might have the most obnoxious 12-6 curve we have seen since Sheets. Love it.

Furthermore, the move to the pen has potential to have a very happy ending for Peralta. He has two pitches which isn’t nearly as big a problem in the pen and he can add a tick to his velocity coming out there. I think he can help the team.


This.

I actually think Peralta is perfect for the pen. I think if he knew he was only pitching the one inning, he can easily get into the upper 90s with his fastball, could make a big difference. I hope they don't just make him the long man, as he'll encounter the same problems. I'd really like to see what he can do going one inning at a time.


Peralta certainly pitched his way out of the rotation, and I'm excited to see how some of the guys from the minors due. That said, this move probably assures that Peralta will be let go after the season. He's making $4.275M in his second year of arby, meaning he'll likely make $6-7M next year. If by some chance he could have "found it" as a starter, he could have justified that salary, but I can't imagine the Brewers will pay that for a middle reliever.

But, we might as well see if we can get some value out of the $4.275M we're obligated to pay, so hopefully he will pitch well out of the pen for the rest of the season.


Couple ways they could handle this.

If he flops in the pen too, then yeah certainly we just go ahead and non tender him.

Best case scenario, Peralta turns into a dominant late inning guy, and if so, you probably tender him anyway, even at that price.

If you don't want to pay that, you can tender and trade him, marketing him as a late inning power reliever, and with the price of bullpen pitching these days, you probably get a nice return.

If he just pitches 'ok' out of the pen, they might see if they can just sign him for a lesser rate than they would pay in arbitration, either before or after non-tendering him.

But I don't see any scenario that he pitches very well out of the pen and they just let him walk for nothing. And I don't necessarily know that they see him as a middle reliever. Not eventually anyway. I think they envision him pitching important, and maybe late, innings.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#34

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:33 PM Post
Posts: 933
What jumps out to me are his k ratio (over 1 per inning) and total walks (5- less than one PER START)!
Deserving of a start. Sad though because I have never heard of the guy.... I thought I followed the minors fairly closely.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#35

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:43 PM Post
Posts: 2810
The guy has really put in his time! Portions of 6 seasons in AA, and 7 seasons in AAA! Pitched great in the Dominican Winter League this past winter, pitching great this year in AAA. It'll be easy rooting for him to succeed

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#36

Posted: May 18, 2017, 1:58 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1094
rickh150 said:
What jumps out to me are his k ratio (over 1 per inning) and total walks (5- less than one PER START)!
Deserving of a start. Sad though because I have never heard of the guy.... I thought I followed the minors fairly closely.


The Brewers only signed him right before Thanksgiving... you can give yourself half of a pass on this one [smile]

Cross your fingers that he is Junior Guerra 2.0


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#37

Posted: May 19, 2017, 8:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10019
If Peralta looks good in the pen they will just eat that money next year almost for sure. The payroll is basically nothing so they can afford to do that. If he is mediocre in the pen than cut bait and that is fine.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#38

Posted: May 19, 2017, 8:22 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 559
I missed the game but was hoping to find comments about how Espino looked. What do people think? Did he look good enough to get another start?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#39

Posted: May 19, 2017, 8:59 PM Post
Posts: 6238
Location: Kenosha, WI
He looked like a guy clearly spot starter and limitted the damage. Nothing more.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Paolo Espino scratched - is there a move coming
#40

Posted: May 19, 2017, 9:10 PM Post
Posts: 1786
He made his mlb debut on the road against the division rival defending champs. He was fine.

Peralta's pen debut was sensational. It's just one game, but psychologically it could be a big deal. If I'm him, I'm thinking "Huh. Maybe this isn't so bad."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test