LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Offline  Re: Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Posted: June 30, 2017, 8:11 AM Post
honestly i forgot about Woody, i haven't heard about his progress but i'd love to get him some starts in Anderson's absence. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of letting Hader start, especially if you have Espino to back him up to not totally drain the pen on his days.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 9:13 AM Post
Scratch Wilkerson off the list of potential Monday starters, he went 5.2 IP and threw 90 pitches for Biloxi last night.

Blazek and Burnes both pitched Wednesday and would be on regular rest for to start Monday.

Jungmann pitches tonight for CS. If he gets pulled after a couple innings, you can pretty much count on him being the guy. Otherwise scratch him off the list too.

Espino hasn't pitched since his 3 IP after Chase went down, so he'd be in line to start on Monday too. Suter hasn't pitched since Tuesday, so maybe he could go an inning tonight and still be in line to start on Monday.

Lots of options, and a spot open on the 40-man.....I'm kinda hoping they go with Blazek and see what he can do.

I'd guess it's between Blazek, Jungmann, and Espino as to who gets the spot, with the edge going to Espino just since he's already with the big league club and has started for us a couple games already. There's enough options right now though that I'd rather see what someone else has to offer and let Espino keep working on converting to the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 9:47 AM Post
Sadly, Corbin Burnes took his first loss as a professional on Wednesday. He gave up a whole 3 earned runs and 7 hits in 5.2 innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 9:55 AM Post
All 3 ER were given up in the 6th inning, and that inning included an infield hit and two singles described as "soft fly balls" by MiLB gameday, so it kinda looks like he was mostly the victim of bad luck.

He actually had not allowed a hit until the 4th inning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 10:07 AM Post
The Brewers will be too chicken to call up a guy like Burnes. We'll get stuck watching Espino or Jungmann toss away any hopes this club has. It's the Brewer way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 10:10 AM Post
Can we start a negativity thread where people can post irrational negativity about things that haven't happened yet?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 10:16 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Can we start a negativity thread where people can post irrational negativity about things that haven't happened yet?

I think we had one once. Either way Burnes ain't happening. Heck they won't even let Hader pitch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 10:27 AM Post
Let's remember the stats of Nelson and Peralta first time through the order and 2nd, 3rd etc. Hader's not seen a batter twice yet. Agreed his stuff is electric, but keeping him in the bullpen to this point. I still believe what will happen is he's sent down during the AS break and worked to be a SP again. He'll have multiple innings of experience now with getting ML outs. Gets stretched out as the Deadline comes and goes, with a pitcher or two sent away? and returned as a SP for the stretch. Unfortunately the injuries to Anderson and Guerra doesn't work in the Brewers favor when it comes to trading them.(yes Guerra healthy now but 42ip this year and 160+ overall small sample to commit prospects after his last start) Nelson and Garza to this point as better likely of the 1 or 2.

1 thing to see when sending Hader down to get stretched out is will his numbers be improved in the 3-5 starts he gets down in AAA? He goes 3ERA and less in that time it shows his improvement from his experience up here. He'll look better to commit to the SP rotation.

I hope Lopez shows some success, essentially replaces Hader's bullpen role when he is sent down in my thoughts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 11:17 AM Post
Burnes started the year in High A, right? He's been great, but this is his first full professional season, let's give him some time to progress before bringing him up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 11:38 AM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
Burnes started the year in High A, right? He's been great, but this is his first full professional season, let's give him some time to progress before bringing him up.

Mike Leake never pitched in the minors. He turned out alright. Each guy is different. Burnes is basically 23 and lighting it up. Bring the guy up and let him continue to do so.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 11:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
wildcat2237 said:
Sadly, Corbin Burnes took his first loss as a professional on Wednesday. He gave up a whole 3 earned runs and 7 hits in 5.2 innings.

Release the bum!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 2:16 PM Post
Don't forget about Scahill...He could be next up again.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Posted: June 30, 2017, 2:18 PM Post
Brew4U said:
MillerParkSouth said:

Mike Leake never pitched in the minors. He turned out alright. Each guy is different. Burnes is basically 23 and lighting it up. Bring the guy up and let him continue to do so.

I agree, nothing says Burnes can't be brought up just because this is his first full season in pro ball. Plus, it's not like he would need to be brought up for the rest of the season.

With that said, they may their reasons for not doing it. Maybe they don't want to disrupt what he's doing. Or maybe not risk having him blow up in the 1st inning of his first MLB start. They know the players better than we do, as well as the big picture of other guys they may want to start instead.

Either way it has nothing to do with being "chicken." They haven't hesitated to bring rookies up when they thought it was time. Heck, with Arcia a lot of people thought it was TOO early.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 2:31 PM Post
For Burnes, I would say if there is less than a 95% chance he would stay up and be productive the rest of the season and beyond, you don't bring him up because it would burn options. If he comes up for a couple weeks, then get's sent down, that uses up one option. Then if next year, he's not ready to break camp with the team as a starter (or reliever), he uses up option #2 to refine his skill likely in AA or AAA. That only leaves us 1 option in case he ever needs to be sent down to fix things if he struggles (as is common with young pitchers) or you need to use some extreme roster management. If you wait until mid next year (assuming he stays as productive), he has a much better chance of coming up and sticking, leaving you up to three chances to be sent down in case he ever hits struggles like Nelson, Peralta, Davies, Jungman and more have in the early parts of their career.

The last thing you want is to have a pitcher who is under 25, has tons of potential but is struggling in the majors with no options to be sent down and work things out. Then you take the risk of not being able to fix whatever is wrong (mechanical tweak, pressure, loss of confidence, ...) and wrecking whatever season this is happening to or likely losing him if you try to outright him. I say he needs a stronger (and longer) track record before bringing up Burnes. He only has a handful of starts at AA, he still has a lot to prove.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 2:51 PM Post
I don't know that Burnes would be able to pitch enough innings this year where it would be worthwhile to burn an option. I'm guessing his innings limit this year will be somewhere around 130.

The Brewers only have to cover 10 more games until the All-Star break, and Sunday July 9th can be a bullpen day if needed. You can slot Hader in, Blazek and Jungmann have been pitching well as of late, and Wilkerson has been pitching well at AA. They can carry you for a start or two until the break, and then Woodruff should be healthy shortly after.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2017, 6:32 AM Post

Roster Guru
Greenleaf1 said:
Jungmann pitches tonight for CS. If he gets pulled after a couple innings, you can pretty much count on him being the guy. Otherwise scratch him off the list too.

pulled after 37 pitches over three innings. allowed two hits, struck out five and no runs or walks.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Posted: July 01, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
Brew4U said:
LouisEly said:

I think we had one once. Either way Burnes ain't happening. Heck they won't even let Hader pitch.

Yes, if they won't let him pitch then he should be sent back to AAA where he can get in some work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2017, 9:04 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
wildcat2237 said:

Release the bum!

He's so bad that he's going to be the first player in baseball history to be DFA'd without being on the 40 man roster.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2017, 9:16 AM Post
LouisEly said:

I really, really hope someone saved the no holds barred, anything goes vent thread from after we lost the NLCS. And I really hope it gets re-posted. It wasn't fun at the time, but I'm sure in retrospect that thing would be gold.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2017, 9:58 AM Post
mrn1ceguy said:
For Burnes, I would say if there is less than a 95% chance he would stay up and be productive the rest of the season and beyond, you don't bring him up because it would burn options. If he comes up for a couple weeks, then get's sent down, that uses up one option. Then if next year, he's not ready to break camp with the team as a starter (or reliever), he uses up option #2 to refine his skill likely in AA or AAA. That only leaves us 1 option in case he ever needs to be sent down to fix things if he struggles (as is common with young pitchers) or you need to use some extreme roster management. If you wait until mid next year (assuming he stays as productive), he has a much better chance of coming up and sticking, leaving you up to three chances to be sent down in case he ever hits struggles like Nelson, Peralta, Davies, Jungman and more have in the early parts of their career.

The last thing you want is to have a pitcher who is under 25, has tons of potential but is struggling in the majors with no options to be sent down and work things out. Then you take the risk of not being able to fix whatever is wrong (mechanical tweak, pressure, loss of confidence, ...) and wrecking whatever season this is happening to or likely losing him if you try to outright him. I say he needs a stronger (and longer) track record before bringing up Burnes. He only has a handful of starts at AA, he still has a lot to prove.

If every pitcher or player had to have a 95% chance of success before being brought up, then every player in your system would end up never coming up and you'd eventually lose them as minor league FA. The Brewers are without starter a who arguably is All Star worthy and they are in the midst of a playoff race, expected or not. He's likely out until at least early August. You roll the dice with the most talented guys with upside to be top of the rotation starters and hope over 6 or 7 starts they replicate Anderson's performance regardless of the time they've had in the minors. We know guys like Espino and Suter aren't that guy and probably not Jungmann either. While I think Hader could well do the job and go out tomorrow and throw 75-80 pitches, Burnes is the other likely guy.

Since when would Burnes have no options? Using up first option at age 23 for a guy already in AA is no big deal. He'll have options through age 26. If he struggles, and it doesn't work, fine, at least they tried. He goes back to AA. If he is so mentally weak at 23 to let that affect the rest of his career, maybe he's not a guy you want anyway. Burnes is said to have a bull dog mentality and he's jumped levels with no problem. He's 23 not 19 which is why perhaps he's a better option than say Ortiz. Of any guys in the Brewer system, Burnes is probably the best equipped mentally.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply