LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Offline  Re: Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Posted: July 01, 2017, 11:49 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

If every pitcher or player had to have a 95% chance of success before being brought up, then every player in your system would end up never coming up and you'd eventually lose them as minor league FA. The Brewers are without starter a who arguably is All Star worthy and they are in the midst of a playoff race, expected or not. He's likely out until at least early August. You roll the dice with the most talented guys with upside to be top of the rotation starters and hope over 6 or 7 starts they replicate Anderson's performance regardless of the time they've had in the minors. We know guys like Espino and Suter aren't that guy and probably not Jungmann either. While I think Hader could well do the job and go out tomorrow and throw 75-80 pitches, Burnes is the other likely guy.

Since when would Burnes have no options? Using up first option at age 23 for a guy already in AA is no big deal. He'll have options through age 26. If he struggles, and it doesn't work, fine, at least they tried. He goes back to AA. If he is so mentally weak at 23 to let that affect the rest of his career, maybe he's not a guy you want anyway. Burnes is said to have a bull dog mentality and he's jumped levels with no problem. He's 23 not 19 which is why perhaps he's a better option than say Ortiz. Of any guys in the Brewer system, Burnes is probably the best equipped mentally.

My 95% is for players with less than 2 years since being drafted (we are only at ~1 for Burnes). If you are coming up that soon, you should be a sure fire team contributor for a long time (ala Braun). Otherwise, you run the risk of what happen to Perez where you are brought up to early, have to use all your options while you figure things out and then get let go. And actually Knebel almost ran into this issue. He was brought up real quick, had his struggles at times to the point we had to option him down last year. If he didn't figure things out this year, we possibly would have had to option him again this year and then risk losing him next year if he continued to struggle. It worked out for us in a great way, but what if he figured it all out in 2 years (for a different team) and not this year? That's not uncommon for a highly rated pitcher to still struggle at 25 before figuring it all out.

I don't want to see Burnes struggle in the MLB this year, get sent down a couple times and then get pushed out the door at 26 only to come back as a #3 pitcher for the cardinals. So unless the Brewers are 95% certain he's here to stay, its just too early for him.

The other main reason is he doesn't have close to the track record for me to say he's our best or even one of our best options in the minors for possibly only 2 starts. He has all of 27 total games with 5 in AA. While he has been great in those starts and looks very promising, that's not a lot of track record for me to say he's going to be better today than Hader, Woodruff, Wang, Blazek, Jungman, Wilkerson or any of our current 5 starters. Next year when he has 55 starts with 15 in AAA all doing great, absolutely he's our best option. But today, give me one of the other guys for 2-3 starts, Woodruff for 5 and then Anderson is back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2017, 8:47 AM Post
Jungmann has been awesome lately, I'm excited to have him up. I could see him going on another run like he did in 2015, pushing Davies aside. Jungman's missing bats more than ever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 04, 2017, 2:39 PM Post

Roster Guru
good news for chase anderson. a rehab assignment is next.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 04, 2017, 4:53 PM Post
Nice to see Chase moving forward

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2017, 9:38 AM Post

Roster Guru
another bullpen today. if no setbacks, anderson's rehab assignment should start tuesday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2017, 4:13 PM Post

Roster Guru
anderson's second rehab start will be sunday in colorado springs.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply