LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Offline  Re: Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:11 PM Post
I think the Brewers are trying to casually compete this year with internal or low key moves. Hader and Lopez were moved to the bullpen to help the bullpen. They must believe they can help the starting rotation by other means. Sure Hader could go to the rotation, but then you hurt the bullpen. I would much prefer Hader in the bullpen plus someone else starting vs. Hader in the rotation plus a disaster in the bullpen. Just keep Hader in his 2017 long term home without the flip flopping(for this year at least).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:14 PM Post
The org still seems to think that Hader's long-term home is in the rotation, so with Anderson likely being out for a couple of months, give him a shot. Unless they think Woodruff will be back in a couple of weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:23 PM Post

Roster Guru
i'm thinking that taylor jungmann gets the start monday. he last pitched sunday, so we'll see if he's held back or on a restricted pitch count tomorrow in omaha.

jungmann will enter 2018 with no options remaining, so this is a good time for the brewers to see what they've got in him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:32 PM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
Espino is a 30 year old minor league journeyman who struggles to break 90 with his fastball. He is in a completely different situation than Hader. If Espino were a young prospect with some velocity and potential, I'd say give him a longer leash, but that's not who he is.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you.. because that makes sense. Except I am, because our opening day starter this year makes it not true. My assumption is that Espino is exactly what we think he is but I think Milwaukee will give him a much longer leash than any of us fans would because that is what teams in a rebuild do. Yes we are in first place and want to win, but we are also rebuilding and will continue to let guys have an ample shot to prove themselves, be it a young hotshot with a left handed + fastball or an 'old' castoff with a forgettable one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:54 PM Post
newrivervalley said:
Espino deserves a start. Lopez deserves a start. Yungman deserves a start. Nice situation.

How exactly does Lopez deserve a start? He has trouble at AA and is even worse when he pitches in AAA. If anyone deserved a spot it was Wilkerson.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 3:54 PM Post
The rotation is Hader's long-term home unless they're extremely short-sighted and think 4 bad starts in AAA this year is all the evidence they need to determine his future in MLB. But it's best for the "team" for him to stay in the pen for 2017 to team up with Knebel and Barnes at the back. Especially when someone like Woodruff can step in the rotation once he's off the DL. In the meantime, there are other internal options to fill in for a couple starts or Stearns can grab someone off the scrap heap to take the final 40 man spot.

Side vent: Hader has thrown 8.1ip on the year and has improved each outing. He has 3BB in his last 5ip. 2 of those were McCutchen (was killing the ball) and Votto (last night). People can continue to reference his BB9 but I'll gladly put those guys on base in close games when they're killing it in order to get the next guy out. Hader's given up 1 hit thus far, is getting his first exposure to MLB and is in a role he hasn't been in since 2015 with Houston (when he was mainly a rotation guy still too). People shouldn't throw around his BB9 rate in 8.1ip of work without using it in the same context (on the surface) previously in his career. Like maybe his past 264ip between A+ (2014) and AA (2015/2016) where he has a 3.14 BB9. And yes, pitching in CS is pointless. Guerra was 3.2 last year and is 5.4 this year. How many people saying Guerra needs to be removed because he's walking people left and right.

Espino and Jungmann are what they are. I'd personally rather give Wilkerson a shot until Woodruff is back to take this spot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 4:19 PM Post
I am so annoyed with the national league.

I'll be at the game Monday and if it's Espino starting...well, lame.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 4:28 PM Post
Yeah I'm going to the game Monday too and I live out of state at this point so it will be the only game at Miller park i see all year. Don't want to see Espino pitch.

I did get to see the one game they won at Atlanta at least.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 4:31 PM Post
Wilkerson, Woodruff, Lopez and Hader all need a look. Call up Blazek, let Hader throw 45 pitchers and take him out. Keep doing it until he builds arm strength or proves he is a pen pitcher. My guess is we will see Will P. Monday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 5:07 PM Post
djoctagone said:
i'm thinking that taylor jungmann gets the start monday. he last pitched sunday, so we'll see if he's held back or on a restricted pitch count tomorrow in omaha.

jungmann will enter 2018 with no options remaining, so this is a good time for the brewers to see what they've got in him.

This is exactly my thought, this will be Jungmann's last shot to keep a spot with the Brewers. I don't think he is the long term answer, but we have seen he can put together a great month and a half.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 5:49 PM Post
Haven't we seen enough of Jungmann? It is pretty obvious what he is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 5:58 PM Post
trwi7 said:
And That said:
You can get Hader back up to 90 pitches over the course of a few abbreviated starts, and you have Espino to basically piggyback him in those starts.

Or Suter. We have multiple options in the bullpen to eat up innings while Hader steadily increases his pitch count/work load.

I want Suter to start, for if no other reason than to get him to 50 innings by the time the next Top 25 prospect vote takes place. (Reillymcshane, if you can conveniently forget about that for a month or so that would be great.)

Carlos Martinez, Lance Lynn, Chris Sale all spent their first season in the majors in the bullpen and it didn't hurt their development at all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 6:24 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Evidently not or the Brewers wouldn't have used a 40 man spot on him. And if they were going to do that and he is actually pitching good in the minors, then it is time for the proverbial last chance. Plus he is stretched out versus most of the other options.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 8:34 PM Post
dacbrewers said:
newrivervalley said:
Espino deserves a start. Lopez deserves a start. Yungman deserves a start. Nice situation.

How exactly does Lopez deserve a start? He has trouble at AA and is even worse when he pitches in AAA. If anyone deserved a spot it was Wilkerson.

Not sure how any of those guys deserves a start.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2017, 10:59 PM Post
Roderick said:
MrTPlush said:

Evidently not or the Brewers wouldn't have used a 40 man spot on him. And if they were going to do that and he is actually pitching good in the minors, then it is time for the proverbial last chance. Plus he is stretched out versus most of the other options.

Let me be more specific. Haven't we seen enough of Taylor Jungmann to know what he is capable of? His fastball is not very good and without amazing control it turns into batting practice really quick. Not sure 30 innings at AAA as a 27 year old with extensive experience in AA or above really means much.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 6:48 AM Post
Going back to Anderson, did they say how long he might be out? [sad]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 6:56 AM Post
Jungmann was almost unhittable 2 years ago throwing a 96 mph fastball that was moving everywhere. In fact it looked like 3 different fastballs. Then all he had to do was get the curveball near the plate. Then When he came in last year all of the sudden he was throwing 88-90 and it was straight as an arrow. It's not a situation of if he is good or not, it's if he got back his velocity or not. And if you think a few ticks and movemnt on 1 pitch shouldn't make that much difference just look at chase anderson this season. His CoS results so far this year suggest maybe his help is back up, here to hoping!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 6:59 AM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:

tyler cravy is another player that will enter 2018 with no options remaining. it's very conceivable that the brewers will mix in a traveling carousel of players who have already burned an option in 2017: jorge lopez, taylor jungmann, paolo espino, tyler cravy and an activated and rehabbed brandon woodruff (no option burned yet, see below).

an optioned player has to stay down for 10 days, but given the presumed health of all of the aforementioned optionable guys (plus josh hader and brent suter), it'd be easy to manage this revolving door for the next month or two.

it should be noted that woodruff has all three minor league options intact, and that he can have a minor league rehab assignment of up to 30 days before being activated on the disabled list. thus, it's conceivable that he wouldn't be activated until august, could make a start, be optioned for 10 days, be recalled to make another start, be optioned for 10 days and then recalled for good into september when rosters can expand. if woodruff is optioned for less than 20 days in 2017, he doesn't burn this year's option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 7:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
I doubt we need to preserve Woodruff's options. I'm guessing he is a guy that will come up and stay up.

I'm in the camp of giving Jungmann another shot. His first three months were outstanding:
June 2015: 2.79 ERA over 29 IP
July 2015: 1.77 ERA over 35.2 IP
Aug 2015: 3.12 ERA over 26 IP

Then the wheels came off:
Sept/Oct 2015: 7.85 ERA over 28.2 IP
April/Mar 2016: 9.15 ERA over 20.2 IP

And his peripherals matched ERA in similar fashion. Especially his walk rate spiked at the end of 2015 and was worse in 2016.

We all know his mechanics are very critical to him "being right". And of course there is an adjustment point where people start seeing him, but I don't believe this was merely a league adjustment. I think his mechanics were out of whack or something more with him than the league. His increase in walk rate would also support that theory.

Also, his FB rate did drop from 2015 to 2016: 2015 FB was averaging 92.6 MPH. 2016 FB was averaging 90.5 MPH.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2017, 7:56 AM Post
Corbin Burnes is dominating double A. Nothing is different in his performance, even moving up a level.

This guy is going to be knocking on the door in Milwaukee....soon.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply