LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 142 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Acquire LHP Tyler Webb for Garrett Cooper

Offline  Re: Brewers Acquire LHP Tyler Webb for Garrett Cooper
Posted: July 14, 2017, 9:02 AM Post
Was going to say on the McCalvy blurp that Webb may be headed to the Majors is promising to maybe replace Torres...wound up being Blazek. Calling up Phillips, I think Broxton and Phillips are going to find a platoon down the stretch, Maybe not as much as starting but in terms of late inning PH, double move type.

The idea that Calvy's blurp might mean Hader was on the trade move made no sense. Hader is a huge addition to the Bullpen. His production has a lot to do with the Bullpen's solid run of late. With his latest gem a glimpse of what's to come. But what if...Hader's 3.1 outing leads to him being the 5th starter, at least for now until Woodruff returns or til the Trade Deadline, if he happens to be one that is moved?

I like the move considering the k/bb ratio. It's only been stated like 500 times this season walking the first batter is never a good start.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers Acquire LHP Tyler Webb for Garrett Cooper
Posted: July 14, 2017, 9:30 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Was going to say on the McCalvy blurp that Webb may be headed to the Majors is promising to maybe replace Torres...wound up being Blazek. Calling up Phillips, I think Broxton and Phillips are going to find a platoon down the stretch, Maybe not as much as starting but in terms of late inning PH, double move type.

The idea that Calvy's blurp might mean Hader was on the trade move made no sense. Hader is a huge addition to the Bullpen. His production has a lot to do with the Bullpen's solid run of late. With his latest gem a glimpse of what's to come. But what if...Hader's 3.1 outing leads to him being the 5th starter, at least for now until Woodruff returns or til the Trade Deadline, if he happens to be one that is moved?

I like the move considering the k/bb ratio. It's only been stated like 500 times this season walking the first batter is never a good start.

With Guerra lining up at the 5th starter the Brewers had the flexibility to make a move for an extra guy and Phillips is it. I could see Phillips getting 1-2 starts for Broxton over the next few days but I would read nothing into it beyond that. When Guerra comes up, Phillips most likely goes back down. Webb is likely here to stay.

I agree that there's no imminent signs that Hader is on the move, but I also don't think it makes sense that his 3.1 outing is leading into him being the #5 starter. If we keep him -- he's done well in the pen, Suter has done well in the rotation, Woodruff and Anderson aren't far behind. It doesn't make much sense to switch his roles extremely temporarily when what we're doing is working fine.

Even if they have any notions of trading Hader before the deadline, moving him to the rotation doesn't make much sense. He's not stretched out, and probably won't be able to go more than 5 innings. It's not like a couple 5 inning outings before the deadline is going to influence his trade value one way or another.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 10:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
Phillips also offers some depth in case Braun runs into any issues and can't play.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 11:35 AM Post
Phillips is up as the short-term replacement guy, same reason as the last time he was brought up.

If they intended to give him a lot of playing time, it would most likely be Brinson coming up, in my opinion. Still nice to see Phillips up for a few days though.

Real bummer for Blazek, who was pitching well since coming up. Definite victim of having an option remaining though, as opposed to Scahill/Torres, who are likely going to be on short leashes now that Blazek is available on the 40-man to replace them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 11:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
This guy soooooo needs to have a "nanananananana" audio clip played everytime he strikes somebody out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFPjQhl1eYE

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:11 PM Post
Cooper starting and batting sixth tonight for the Yankees.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:17 PM Post
That's awesome, good for him! Going from stuck in the minors behind a couple guys in one organization one day to being in the starting lineup for the Yankees against the Red Sox the next. Super happy for him, hope it's the start of a nice MLB career!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:34 PM Post
Braun just needs to be DL'd until September. Give him 2 months off and he'll mash us to the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrAllen said:
That's awesome, good for him! Going from stuck in the minors behind a couple guys in one organization one day to being in the starting lineup for the Yankees against the Red Sox the next. Super happy for him, hope it's the start of a nice MLB career!

Exactly. I'm happy for the guy. He's put himself in the position with some great play this year. Simple fact is that Aguilar and Thames were ahead of Cooper. Unless there were some injuries and/or someone fell off a cliff, he wasn't going to play for Milwaukee this year. And then this winter there would be a good chance someone selected him in the Rule 5 draft - and we'd still be losing him.

I think one of the big fears we have is giving up on a player or trading someone and having him do well for another team. But that happens. It's part of the way the world works. Segura, Haniger are a couple of other examples, but we can flip that around and mention Villar (at least in 2016), Broxton, Anderson (at least in 2017), Shaw, etc., etc.

I hope Cooper does well. Even if he can just be average-ish (the AL average for a 1B is a .797 OPS), he would be a great success for the Yankees. And he seems like a good guy - it would be nice to see him succeed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
Braun just needs to be DL'd until September. Give him 2 months off and he'll mash us to the playoffs.

Mix that in with a Keon Broxton streak and we could win a World Series.

That's why post season is so crazy. It just takes a few players to get hot and they can carry a club a long ways.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 5:56 PM Post
Happy to see it work out for both guys.

Just hope Cooper isn't the next Brian Dozier who makes a mechanical adjustment and finds power at age 26.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 6:45 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

Braun lasting over a month? Ha. Bring him back for a pinch hit AB in game 7...maybe he won't get hurt again this season then.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2017, 9:45 PM Post
Cooper goes 0-4 with 3 k's, I hope that the Yankees will cut him some slack and give him an extended look. First major league game, playing for the Yankees in Fenway against the Red Sox, I can only imagine the butterflies he was having.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2017, 9:36 PM Post
Cooper 3 for 4 tonight with 2 doubles (both rockets) and his first MLB RBI. He's setting in nicely. My hunch is that in 2-3 years this trade will look very onesided.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2017, 9:41 PM Post
Webb should be getting his tickets for colorado Springs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2017, 9:43 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Cooper 3 for 4 tonight with 2 doubles (both rockets) and his first MLB RBI. He's setting in nicely. My hunch is that in 2-3 years this trade will look very onesided.

If by 2-3 years, you mean 2-3 days. But really, Cooper was in that Aguilar position where he was blocked at the ML level. It could hurt, but hopefully Gatewood will be up to make us forget about that Cooper guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2017, 11:08 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

Webb has been so bad, it really doesn't matter how good Cooper looks at this point. I've only seen him pitch two games but it's tough to imagine what a major league team saw in him to ever want to acquire him.

Let's just hope he is nervous and will shake it off.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2017, 11:55 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Webb has been so bad, it really doesn't matter how good Cooper looks at this point. I've only seen him pitch two games but it's tough to imagine what a major league team saw in him to ever want to acquire him.

Let's just hope he is nervous and will shake it off.

I guess I'll be that guy...

Webb got thrown into a bases loaded situation in his first apaperence with a new club and last night Polanco fought him off barely over Villar and Shaw ate a bad/tough hop at third Otherwise that inning is over.

I would say he hasn't been "so bad", rather than some tough luck situations. But we're all going to see it differently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2017, 1:56 AM Post
iKezims said:

I guess I'll be that guy...

Webb got thrown into a bases loaded situation in his first apaperence with a new club and last night Polanco fought him off barely over Villar and Shaw ate a bad/tough hop at third Otherwise that inning is over.

I would say he hasn't been "so bad", rather than some tough luck situations. But we're all going to see it differently.

It's not just the poor results in his first two games for me, it's also his unimpressive looking stuff.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2017, 6:04 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. I won't lose one bit of sleep over it either way. It was a trade at the margins of the roster.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 142 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply