LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Second Wild Card

Offline  Re: Second Wild Card

Posted: August 31, 2017, 3:15 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
He was worried that since Gomes is signed multi-year that they would trade him again in the offseason and just generally that Cle wouldn't be the spot for him long term. If they didn't have Gomes signed he probably would be comfortable working out an extension in the offseason. Turns out it didn't turn out any better in TX but that's mostly been his fault for not playing well. If he'd have done well he'd probably have a deal locked in with them already.

I mean, the team came right out and said they tearing down and rebuilding and not trying to win. But Lucroy is the devil for saying the same thing?

Actually I think he was more worried that Cleveland would keep him, but still give Gomes the majority of the starts. Since would have no real leverage, he didn't want to get in a situation that would screw his chances for a big contract. As it turns out showcasing his talents in Texas wasn't so good, but hindsight is 20/20.

As for his comments on rebuilding, he was being honest, and lets face it, not many of us predicted much from the Brewers this year. Most of us were looking more at 2019 as the start of the Brewers competitive stretch, with 2018 showing signs of coming out of the rebuild. A lot of unexpected things had to go right for the Brewers to be in the thick of things this year, and no way could Lucroy have seen it coming.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2017, 4:08 PM Post
It is completely different for a fan to not think their team is going to be good and say so but when a "leader" of your team goes out and says so, well that "leader" is just not a very good one. Again, go out and battle your butt off with the guys you have to play with and shut your yapper.

If anyone has ever been on or coached a team with the mindset that was displayed by Luc, maybe that gives you a better understanding of how annoying it was to hear and how it was not needed. Especially from your "leader."

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2017, 10:48 PM Post
It seems to be a three team race for the 2 wild card spots. Brewers(or Cubs)/Rockies/D Backs. At this point I just don't see the Cardinals crawling back into it. They would need both the Brewers and Rockies to tank down the stretch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 12:25 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
It seems to be a three team race for the 2 wild card spots. Brewers(or Cubs)/Rockies/D Backs. At this point I just don't see the Cardinals crawling back into it. They would need both the Brewers and Rockies to tank down the stretch.

I think it's been said a few times before but we should probably ignore the Cubs for now. I think it's highly unlikely we catch them at this point. We should focus on the wild card spots and hopefully set it up so that Davies is throwing against the Dbacks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 1:26 AM Post
MilwaukeeDoctor said:
MrTPlush said:

I think it's been said a few times before but we should probably ignore the Cubs for now. I think it's highly unlikely we catch them at this point. We should focus on the wild card spots and hopefully set it up so that Davies is throwing against the Dbacks.

Hard to ignore the Cubswhen the Brewers still have 7 games left against them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 7:30 AM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
MilwaukeeDoctor said:
MrTPlush said:

Yes. How can we possibly start writing off the division when you actually hold your fate in your own hands? I get it, the Cubs "dynasty" looks good again because they've rattled off some wins against inferior opponents. But come on people, there is still a punchers chance that the Crew rattle off 5 of 7 from the Cubs and make this thing real interesting. I mean hey, they aren't gods Cardinals.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 7:35 AM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
MilwaukeeDoctor said:
MrTPlush said:

I don't think anyone's ignoring the Cubs, but it's best to not focus on what they're doing right now that they're on a bit of a roll. No need to get frustrated and start pressing. Win games no matter who you play and let the wild card/division sort itself out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 7:38 AM Post
The chances of catching the Rockies are much better than going 5-2 or better against the Cubs plus having everything else that needs to go right to go right, that's all anyone is saying.

Does it really matter what we are shooting for? All it is is another thing for fans to debate over. It's not like the Brewers have any control over how the Rockies or Cubs finish, besides the games actuslly against them. All the Brewers can control is how many games they win and see if it's good enough.

Either way, I don't see us going 5-2 or better against the Cubs, but I'd love to be wrong.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 7:55 AM Post
Seems like the likelihood of us going 4-3 or 3-4 against the Cubs, then go 4-2 or 5-1 against the Reds, and hold water against everyone else is pretty good, and I think that might be enough to catch the Rockies the way they're playing.

Luckily, the Cardinals seem like they've given up, and the Marlins have lost 4 straight to fall behind even the Cardinals, so it's looking like the DBacks will have that 1st wild card all sewn up and will host either us or the Rockies (or the Cubs, I suppose).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 11:25 AM Post
Colorado has a tough schedule down the stretch yet. 7 games against both the Dodger and Diamondbacks, plus 3 against Miami. They do play SF and SD a bunch of times, but both of those teams are playing somewhat better baseball lately as well. Given how they've played the last week or so, I'd be highly surprised if they can go .500. It's certainly within reason to think the Brewers could easily make up 2.5 games.

But as others have said - the Brewers can only control their own games. Just keep finding ways to win games and let the rest sort itself out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 2:13 PM Post
Brew4U said:
OnaBadger58 said:
MilwaukeeDoctor said:

Yes. How can we possibly start writing off the division when you actually hold your fate in your own hands? I get it, the Cubs "dynasty" looks good again because they've rattled off some wins against inferior opponents. But come on people, there is still a punchers chance that the Crew rattle off 5 of 7 from the Cubs and make this thing real interesting. I mean hey, they aren't gods Cardinals.

We don't hold our fate in our own hands. Even if we swept the Cubs 7-0 (I peg that at about .00001% chance of happening), that doesn't mean we win the division. Cubs are up 4 in the loss column right now.

Anyways, my main point about not worrying about the Cubs is because I read lots of posts here upset and frustrated that the Cubs keep winning against bad teams. They are winning again today. Maybe they've figured it out. I believe they have the 2nd best record in MLB since the all-star game break at 30-15. 2nd only to the Dodgers.

Frankly, I'd rather get the WC spot and face the Dodgers in a 5 game series, rather than a 7 game series. They have the clear advantage in depth of pitching. But in a short series, anything is possible. If we can somehow knock them off, we face the Nats/Cubs in a 7 game series and let's see what happens.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 2:37 PM Post
Yes the Brewers technically hold their fate in their own hands and most certainly do if they go 7-0 vs the Cubs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 2:51 PM Post
Outlander said:
Yes the Brewers technically hold their fate in their own hands and most certainly do if they go 7-0 vs the Cubs.

I mean I guess technically if you think we are going to win out or something.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 2:54 PM Post
Outlander said:

The Cardinals technically hold their division fate in their own hands, too. That doesn't mean it is realistically going to happen.

Us winning the division is more realistic at this point than that, I'm just pointing out that just because a team might control its own destiny for something does not always coincide with that thing being something realistic. I mean come on, we're not going 7-0 against the Cubs. I could see 5-2 if we get hot and they get cold but even that is way less realistic than catching the Rockies, that's his point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 3:02 PM Post
I wasn't even focusing on the Cubs. I just mentioned it was a three team race while also including the Cubs in it because if we won the division good chance the Cubs would be right in it for the wild card.

We shouldn't focus on anything honestly. We should hope to win games and look at the standings evenly. The division is very alive as is our wild card chances. It changes weekly. At one point it was division or bust.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 3:47 PM Post
Mostly I just happen to think the Cubs are a lot better team than the Rockies.

Kind of crazy that we've lost 9 1/2 games on the Cubs since the AS break, but only 1/2 game on the Rockies.

I know we like to downplay the Cubs as Brewer fans, but they're good. They didn't win a World Series and triple digit games by being okay.

Obviously I'd love to win the division, but as the lead continues to climb (up to 4 today right now), I just think, ok, things keep heading in the wrong direction even as we win. It's probably just not happening this year yet.

A shot at L.A. would be awesome. Of course we'd need to win a game in Arizona first.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2017, 3:55 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Mostly I just happen to think the Cubs are a lot better team than the Rockies.

Kind of crazy that we've lost 9 1/2 games on the Cubs since the AS break, but only 1/2 game on the Rockies.

I know we like to downplay the Cubs as Brewer fans, but they're good. They didn't win a World Series and triple digit games by being okay.

Obviously I'd love to win the division, but as the lead continues to climb (up to 4 today right now), I just think, ok, things keep heading in the wrong direction even as we win. It's probably just not happening this year yet.

A shot at L.A. would be awesome. Of course we'd need to win a game in Arizona first.

Yup would be nice if we're able to separate from the Rockies by the end of the season so that we have Davies going against Zona. No matter who they've got going in that game, I'd like our chances with the way Davies is going right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2017, 9:41 AM Post
At this point, how would you set up a 1-game playoff lineup against Zack Greinke?

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF
2. Neil Walker 2B
3. Ryan Braun LF
4. Travis Shaw 3B
5. Domingo Santana RF
6. Eric Thames 1B
7. Manny Pina C
8. Orlando Arcia SS
9. Jimmy Nelson P

I know Villar in CF could create some problems defensively, so the other option for me would be to move Villar to 2B, Walker to 1B, and put Keon in CF batting 7th behind Pina.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2017, 10:07 AM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
At this point, how would you set up a 1-game playoff lineup against Zack Greinke?

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF
2. Neil Walker 2B
3. Ryan Braun LF
4. Travis Shaw 3B
5. Domingo Santana RF
6. Eric Thames 1B
7. Manny Pina C
8. Orlando Arcia SS
9. Jimmy Nelson P

I know Villar in CF could create some problems defensively, so the other option for me would be to move Villar to 2B, Walker to 1B, and put Keon in CF batting 7th behind Pina.

I am not sure on Thames splits vs righties the last month, but his overall is a .691 OPS in august. If he keeps that up for another month I would assume he wouldn't be starting. Although things can change over ~ 4 weeks of baseball. I really think Aguilar should get the bulk of the AB's over the next month. If not him for the 1 game play-in, then yes, Walker should be at 1B. I guess my preference would be:

Option 1: Aguilar at 1B, Walker 2B, Villar at CF
Option 2: Walker at 1B, Sogard at 2B, Villar at CF
Option 3: Walker at 1B, Villar at 2B, Phillips at CF

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2017, 8:31 PM Post
Greenleaf1 said:

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF
2. Neil Walker 2B
3. Ryan Braun LF
4. Travis Shaw 3B
5. Domingo Santana RF
6. Eric Thames 1B
7. Manny Pina C
8. Orlando Arcia SS
9. Jimmy Nelson P

I'd prefer to have Davies going so we can use Nelson twice in the series against the Dodgers.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply