LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Second Wild Card

Offline  Re: Second Wild Card

Posted: September 05, 2017, 10:14 PM Post
I mean at this point we just need to focus on getting there. If they have a chance to get in, it's pretty likely it'll come down to the last couple days of the season. If you need to win Game 162 to force a tiebreaker just to have a shot at playing a WC, you do whatever you need to do in Game 162 to make that happen, even if it means pitching Nelson out of the pen on short rest and worrying about tomorrow tomorrow. If they wind up absolutely needing to win their last 2 games of the reason to even tie, they won't have the luxury necessarily of lining things up the way they want to.

Between Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Woodruff, 1 game is pretty much a crapshoot anyway between those 4 as to which one will be your best bet on that night.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 12:01 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I mean at this point we just need to focus on getting there. If they have a chance to get in, it's pretty likely it'll come down to the last couple days of the season. If you need to win Game 162 to force a tiebreaker just to have a shot at playing a WC, you do whatever you need to do in Game 162 to make that happen, even if it means pitching Nelson out of the pen on short rest and worrying about tomorrow tomorrow. If they wind up absolutely needing to win their last 2 games of the reason to even tie, they won't have the luxury necessarily of lining things up the way they want to.

Between Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Woodruff, 1 game is pretty much a crapshoot anyway between those 4 as to which one will be your best bet on that night.

That's pretty much nightmare scenario though. If we have to use Davies/Nelson in Game 162, and then using the other in the 1 game playoff. And then using someone else for G1 in a series against the Dodgers. That would be very, very bad for us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 8:14 PM Post
Cubs now 5 up on us in the loss column. Basically WC or bust at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 5:39 AM Post
We're now looking up at St Louis, who many a few days ago thought we had no need to be concerned with.

Only silver lining about today is the Rockies lost.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 7:05 AM Post
I'm not even sure a team that gets swept at this point in the season by Cincy deserves a spot in the playoffs. But that is probably just my disgust talking.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:00 AM Post
The Brewers need to win 2 of 3 down the stretch to have a shot at getting in. The Rockies have an incredibly tough stretch coming up(4 in LA, 4 in AZ), so if we can pull 2 from the cubs and 2 from the pirates...we probably catch them within a week. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 NL Central teams get in at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:18 AM Post
If it is the Cardinals, I'll puke. Please let it be the Brewers but if not them, let the Rockies in. I can't stomach seeing the Cardinals even have the satisfaction of a 1-game playoff. Screw that franchise.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:32 AM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
adambr2 said:
We're now looking up at St Louis, who many a few days ago thought we had no need to be concerned with.

Only silver lining about today is the Rockies lost.
Card fans felt the same way, but got the benefit of playing some really bad teams and some hot rookies filling in for under-performing vets. I still think the Cubs win the Central, but the Colorado swoon has the WC door wide open for both of us.

We both have a tough schedule coming up (all Central teams and the Cards are by far the worst in- division team) but there does appear to be a chink in the Cubs armor of late. We have a combined 14 games vs. the Cubs. It's conceivable that one or both of us catch 'em.

Maybe the last 2 game series of the season with you will be HUGE.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:44 AM Post
Yeah, even with the division looking more and more of a longshot it sure seems that three game series to end the year will determine the final wild card.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 9:31 AM Post
Just gotta take it series by series. Win 2 of 3 this weekend and go from there.

As much as I expected the whole time not to make the playoffs, I'd have still been a bit disappointed but if the Cards swoop in and steal the spot I'll really be mad. I'm sure they'll beat AZ too in the WC gard somehow too

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 1:10 PM Post
I know it looks like the cardinals have gotten hot...or something. They've won 5 of 6 against the giants and padres. 2 of the worst teams in baseball right now. I'm sure they'll come back down to earth when they start playing NL Central teams.

The NL Central doesn't have any really bad teams right now...even cincy has a really strong lineup and improving pitching. They are playing much better than their record right now...not just against us. They are 19-16 since August 1st, and have been getting better and better...they'll be a tough test for all 3 divisional contenders down the stretch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 2:12 PM Post
The 4-game sweep against the Twins and the 3-game sweep against the Reds are just so hard to over come. If they happen to get in the playoffs with that on their resume over the course of the last two months of the season, they will have definitely earned it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 3:26 PM Post

tmwiese55 said:

As much as I expected the whole time not to make the playoffs, I'd have still been a bit disappointed but if the Cards swoop in and steal the spot I'll really be mad. I'm sure they'll beat AZ too in the WC gard somehow too
AZ is on freaking fire. They pounded the mighty Dodgers into the dirt. Good thing is: there's still plenty of time for them to cool off before October.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 7:01 PM Post
I see that the Mets, who lost Conforto for the season and have traded away every other remotely good bat they have, are having no trouble putting up runs on the Reds. [angry]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 7:22 PM Post
Dead Simmons said:
tmwiese55 said:

AZ is on freaking fire. They pounded the mighty Dodgers into the dirt. Good thing is: there's still plenty of time for them to cool off before October.

Yea just mostly my bitterness to how STL always somehow pulls it out and finds away. They'll probably win the WS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 9:00 PM Post
Kershaw down 3-0 early against Rockies

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 9:56 PM Post

tmwiese55 said:
Dead Simmons said:
tmwiese55 said:

Yea just mostly my bitterness to how STL always somehow pulls it out and finds away. They'll probably win the WS

Not likely. Can't get past the Nats...at all. Maybe you or the Cubs can.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 12:53 AM Post
There is no chance in hell STL is winning the WS this year. There are a handful teams with some serious horsepower that will completely shut down the Cards.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 7:17 AM Post
Ah if only baseball was that simple and predictable like the NBA. Seems ya'll forgot about 2011. And like I said, I'm mostly just expressing my disdain for the Cardinals and the lucky horseshoe up their rear and joking about it. I know how low of a % chance they have

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 3:13 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Ah if only baseball was that simple and predictable like the NBA. Seems ya'll forgot about 2011. And like I said, I'm mostly just expressing my disdain for the Cardinals and the lucky horseshoe up their rear and joking about it. I know how low of a % chance they have

I'm not saying that a Wild Card can't win. It's happened before. Just that this year's Card team isn't very good. They aren't winning the Series, much less getting there.

The 2011 team you referenced was actually a pretty decent game. If I recall correctly, they finished nearly 20 games over .500. There are no similarities between that team and this team except that both teams might be the WC.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply