LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 74 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Yankees get Sonny Gray

Offline  Re: Yankees get Sonny Gray

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:20 PM Post
I have definitely posted many times on the stupidity of us overpaying for Gray but I would have done this deal in a heartbeat if we could have traded guys of this caliber to Oakland.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:23 PM Post
[quote]I would not have and It has been reported a few times that the A's wanted Brinson so any comparison deal starts with Brinson.[quote]

It was also reported they wanted Frazier or Flores and then it was reported they wanted Florial. Thy didn't walk away with any of them.

Quote   Reply 

Global Moderator
A Swing and A Drive said:
Both Fowler and Kaprielian are coming off major injuries and Mateo's prospect stock is way down.

Brewers could and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Why? Starting pitching is absolutely the very least of the Brewers problems right now. Garza and Anderson are both nearly back, Suter has pitched very well, Nelson has been close to an ace, and Davies has been lights out for nearly two months. Giving up this kind of package for a position that there's absolutely no need makes zero sense whatsoever.

Quote   Reply 

It looks like the Yankees also picked up Oaklands international bonus slot too.

There wasn't much we could do. This past two weeks took us from contending to barely hanging on. Ultimately, in a big deal like this, our prospects just aren't that interesting except for Brinson and Hader who I wouldn't trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:24 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Both Fowler and Kaprielian are coming off major injuries and Mateo's prospect stock is way down.

Brewers could and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Why? Starting pitching is absolutely the very least of the Brewers problems right now. Garza and Anderson are both nearly back, Suter has pitched very well, Nelson has been close to an ace, and Davies has been lights out for nearly two months. Giving up this kind of package for a position that there's absolutely no need makes zero sense whatsoever.

Zach Davies lights out???

There are no words...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:26 PM Post
Good non-trade. Gray wouldn't have gotten us to the level of the top few in the NL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:29 PM Post
If the two injured guys manage to come back from their injuries without any lasting issues, I think this is a good return for the A's. But that's obviously not a given, so a high risk move. At the same time, the Yankees trade away some uncertainty for a solid return.

But it's also yet another trade that clearly shows the market is not the same as last year. The Chapman and Miller deals were the anomalies, not the new norm. Or perhaps Cashman is just really, really good at his job.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:32 PM Post
paul253 said:
I would not have and It has been reported a few times that the A's wanted Brinson so any comparison deal starts with Brinson.

It was also reported they wanted Frazier or Flores and then it was reported they wanted Florial. Thy didn't walk away with any of them.

Correct but I don't think our secondary options are the equal of what the Yankees gave up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:32 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Hard to judge without knowing all the information. If A's preferred upside no way we match this offer without Brinson. If they hated our prospects also no way to get it done without Brinson. Also possible Stearns is too attached to our good, but not elite prospects. However I guess it is one of the first two options.

Disappointed we couldn't beat that offer.

It's starting to look like our minor league system is really just Hader and Brinson, with Hiura on the way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:33 PM Post

Brewers could have and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Makes me physically ill. The Rich Get Richer.

I thought I read somewhere last night that the A's wanted Brinson or no deal. Didn't sound like they would settle or much else. If that is the case, DS made the correct decision. Now we just need the Cubs and Yankees to eliminated from the playoffs in dramatic fashion and for the Dodgers to come up short so they trade for Braun in the offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:34 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
MrTPlush said:
Hard to judge without knowing all the information. If A's preferred upside no way we match this offer without Brinson. If they hated our prospects also no way to get it done without Brinson. Also possible Stearns is too attached to our good, but not elite prospects. However I guess it is one of the first two options.

Disappointed we couldn't beat that offer.

It's starting to look like our minor league system is really just Hader and Brinson, with Hiura on the way.

What do you mean starting? You've been beating that drum for over a month now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:34 PM Post
Is it confirmed that Yanks also got oakland's international bonus slot?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:37 PM Post
Davies has a 2.67 ERA and .286 wOBA since the all star break. I'd say that counts as lights out.

Only 2 pitchers that are 5'10" have pitched a complete season in their age 28 or 29 year in the past 30 years. One of them moved to the bullpen at age 30 because of arm problems. The other was finished at age 31. Gray was awful last season and hurt part of this year already and has had 3 different arm injuries over the past 2 seasons. This is not a good target for us. This is a rental for this year that you hope doesn't just break next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:42 PM Post
I'm thinking Brinson, Ortiz, Dubon would have gotten it done.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:44 PM Post
Mudville9 said:

Brewers could have and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Makes me physically ill. The Rich Get Richer.

I thought I read somewhere last night that the A's wanted Brinson or no deal. Didn't sound like they would settle or much else. If that is the case, DS made the correct decision. Now we just need the Cubs and Yankees to eliminated from the playoffs in dramatic fashion and for the Dodgers to come up short so they trade for Braun in the offseason.

Heyman said it today. A's wanted Brinson and DS said no.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:48 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:

I am glad we didn't include Brinson in this deal. Anyone else though, given this return, I would have pulled the trigger.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:51 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:

That's it???

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:51 PM Post
DocLuna7 said:
82brewcrew82 said:

I am glad we didn't include Brinson in this deal. Anyone else though, given this return, I would have pulled the trigger.

I suspect Beane valued the ceilings of these guys higher than the guys DS was willing to part with. Absolutely happy we didn't make a trade. Stick to the plan.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:56 PM Post
DocLuna7 said:
82brewcrew82 said:

Then the Brewers were never really in it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2017, 1:58 PM Post
DocLuna7 said:
82brewcrew82 said:

I would have had a hard time with Ray, Dubon, Ortiz. No way I give that up for a pitcher that has a lot of things going against him.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 74 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply