LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

CF & OF Rest of the Season

Offline  Re: CF & OF Rest of the Season

Posted: August 01, 2017, 11:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
With Braun/Brinson/Santana all being right handed & Phillips being a lefty with the defensive versatility to cover all three OF spots it seems like he could potentially be a perfect compliment as the 4th OF & still get plenty of PAs between spelling everyone & Braun's inevitable injuries.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 11:14 AM Post
Keep in mind that Mike Trout guy stuggled his first time seeing the majors to the tune of .220/.281/.390. (yes I understand the age difference). The first year experience is invaluable. Plug him in the lineup every day (not batting 8th), and let him get an understanding of the big leagues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 11:22 AM Post
Brinson is their guy long term and he will get all the time he needs to prove that much like Orlando Arcia did. Barring a maricle Ryan Braun isn't going anywhere and trading Domingo Santana wouldn't make much sense. You can't just sit Brett Phillips in AAA for years waiting to see if Brinson is legit or not. Brett Phillips will be a notable trade chip this winter or next summer in my mind.

If I had my way I would actually make him our 4th OFer, but really more of a 3.5th OFer. Not only would he fill in for injuries, but I would give him quite a bit of playing time to stay fresh etc. Braun being the ultimate cripple would surely give him a good chunk of ABs.

While this is certainly possible I think it is more likely he is traded to fill a different need vs. him being a luxurious 4th OFer. When I post a lot of times I say what I think the Brewers will probably do, not necessarily what I would do if I was in charge. This being one of those cases. I like the 4th OFer idea I just don't know if the Brewers would seriously consider that.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: CF & OF Rest of the Season

Posted: August 01, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
Let Phillips play every day in AAA until Braun goes to the DL- it'll probably happen soon. I'd think the inter league road games coming up will be a way to get Aguilar in the lineup. It would just be better to get him consistent playing time until September

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 12:24 PM Post
I would be inclined to leave Broxton in AAA until their season ends and call him back up in September. I think Phillips will come back up soon once we trim from 13 to 12 relievers(which I think happens mid-august as we have 4 off days in the last 2 weeks of august) or an injury happens. Brinson should be getting the lions share of starts as long as he has quality at bats. It's obvious he's going to have some level of learning curve at this point, but unless he's consistently flailing at bad pitches or something he should get most starts. Phillips when he comes up would primarily come in for defense, PH, PR, etc...anything to help us chalk up wins.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 1:40 PM Post
Don't have any problem with Phillip and Brinson fighting for playing time. Go Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:13 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Unless we want to market Phillips in an attempt to raise his value I am starting Lewis Brinson every single day. Brinson is the future not Phillips. Phillips won't be here a year from now.

I wouldn't be so sure about that with Phillips.

If i'm Stearns in the offseason, unless i get a good offer involving Phillips, i'm keeping him as my 4th outfielder next year.

1. Braun's health is so fragile, going forward the team needs a competent 4th outfielder. At any point he could suffer one of his multiple weeks to months long strains or pulls and i don't want some veteran scrub like Nieuwenhuis getting that playing time because we gave away Phillips to cheaply.

2. As much as i have high hopes for Brinson as the long term solution in CF, no prospect is ever a lock to succeed. Phillips is a buffer in case Brinson doesn't pan out as we all hope.

Baseball is a long grinding 162 game season, so what can look like excess depth at a position going into a given year can quickly turn if a player or two gets hurt beyond something minor and that can open the door for a young player to prove himself.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:22 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 8642353152

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:26 PM Post

Roster Guru
broxton to get bulk of playing time for the foreseeable future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:26 PM Post
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 8642353152

I guess the logic is that they don't want to burn Broxton's last option; and I'm fine with that, it makes sense. But to then keep Brinson up and in the mix once we get back to 5 starters in the coming days, they would need to make space by either going with a 7-man bullpen or by getting rid of a position player. They don't seem to be willing (Or able; not many relievers with options remaining in the pen tbh) to do the former, and I don't think they want to DFA Sogard or Villar at this point.

EDIT: Reminder to not go AFK while writing a post; takes too long!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:29 PM Post
Frustrating. A 7 game sample in AAA surrounded by an offense that was piling on runs and Broxton is deemed back on track after 6 weeks of stink. 5 games of starting in MLB and Brinson is benched/about to be optioned.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:36 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
MrTPlush said:
Unless we want to market Phillips in an attempt to raise his value I am starting Lewis Brinson every single day. Brinson is the future not Phillips. Phillips won't be here a year from now.

I wouldn't be so sure about that with Phillips.

If i'm Stearns in the offseason, unless i get a good offer involving Phillips, i'm keeping him as my 4th outfielder next year.

1. Braun's health is so fragile, going forward the team needs a competent 4th outfielder. At any point he could suffer one of his multiple weeks to months long strains or pulls and i don't want some veteran scrub like Nieuwenhuis getting that playing time because we gave away Phillips to cheaply.

2. As much as i have high hopes for Brinson as the long term solution in CF, no prospect is ever a lock to succeed. Phillips is a buffer in case Brinson doesn't pan out as we all hope.

Baseball is a long grinding 162 game season, so what can look like excess depth at a position going into a given year can quickly turn if a player or two gets hurt beyond something minor and that can open the door for a young player to prove himself.

I think this post nails what their plan should be. I'd add in that I'd also start having Santana this offseason putting in at least some cursory time becoming competent at 1B for flexibility in the future. Who knows who gets hurt and frankly Thames hasn't been good since April. It looks like he can't consistently hit a breaking ball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:43 PM Post
folly412 said:
Frustrating. A 7 game sample in AAA surrounded by an offense that was piling on runs and Broxton is deemed back on track after 6 weeks of stink. 5 games of starting in MLB and Brinson is benched/about to be optioned.

Small sample for Brinson but they've both kinda stunk in MLB this year. In this case I guess I'd go with Broxton and keep Brinson in AAA to not burn service time and keep him actually playing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 2:59 PM Post
Having Brinson sit on the bench is so stupid. If you're going to play Broxton, fine but at least send Brinson down so he can play.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 3:03 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Having Brinson sit on the bench is so stupid. If you're going to play Broxton, fine but at least send Brinson down so he can play.

5 DH games coming up quickly ya'll and you know Braun is getting most of those days.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 3:05 PM Post

Roster Guru
tmwiese55 said:
5 DH games coming up quickly ya'll and you know Braun is getting most of those days.

brett phillips is eligible to be recalled for the final of those three dh games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
folly412 said:

Small sample for Brinson but they've both kinda stunk in MLB this year. In this case I guess I'd go with Broxton and keep Brinson in AAA to not burn service time and keep him actually playing.

Plus, i gotta believe that Stearns will trade Broxton for whatever he can get for him in the offseason, so if he can play better these last few months, it would help on the return, even if it's nothing special.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 02, 2017, 10:08 AM Post
danzig6767 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
folly412 said:

Plus, i gotta believe that Stearns will trade Broxton for whatever he can get for him in the offseason, so if he can play better these last few months, it would help on the return, even if it's nothing special.

I agree that's the best play as Broxton having that extra option moving forward is a bonus and if he can get going the final 2 months of the season he can boost is trade value in the off season. Regarding trading him, I've been saying that for well over a month now. Brinson is the CF of the future without question joining Braun/Santana. While I'd understand trading Phillips and keeping Broxton as your 4th I think it makes way more sense to trade Broxton in the off season and keep Phillips as your 4th. His value rises even more as he'll get 350+ AB, plays all 3 spots well, has a cannon and is the only left handed hitting OF option. This is why I can't see him being traded unless he's part of a package to get a great controllable impact player/pitcher. Stearns/Counsell love lefties - Shaw, Thames, Villar (switch), Sogard, Vogt, Phillips, Ray, Diaz, Erceg, Clark

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 04, 2017, 9:22 AM Post

Roster Guru
lewis brinson optioned today. he will have to stay optioned for at least 10 days (barring an injury to another player). brett phillips will be eligible for recall in a couple of days.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 16, 2017, 4:28 AM Post

Roster Guru
well, the injury to lewis brinson has pretty much determined the answer to this thread.

seeing that the brewers are still quite thin with quality center fielders, you'd think that come 1 september, brett phillips is recalled. that means no phillips for a probable sky sox postseason, but mlb wins are a priority now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply