LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Where does Pina finish in ROY voting?

Offline  Where does Pina finish in ROY voting?

Posted: August 05, 2017, 5:25 PM Post
No idea why I thought of this just now, but he's been really, really good.

It's obvious he won't win, but he could finish top 5 I'd think. Really fantastic season for a guy that's going to catch 80% of our games frome here on out. Significantly better than Lucroy this year, which is fun.

I hate the Cubs. I hope they die.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Where does Pina finish in ROY voting?

Posted: August 05, 2017, 6:06 PM Post
Bellinger is running away with it. The Rockies pitchers, Josh Bell, Pina, the Padres OFs all in the mix. Nick Williams probably up there. The problem is a lot of these guys have partial years now but if they play full time the rest of the season they will catch Pina since he is a C.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2017, 6:11 PM Post
Pina has a pretty good chance to be a 4 WAR player. That's pretty damn good.

Obviously Bellinger wins, but I think Pina has a good case for a top 3 or 4 finisher, which given his expectations is awesome. I personally believe he deserves a lot of the credit for the pitching staff exceeding their expectations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2017, 11:31 PM Post
Agreed. What may also help is he's worked with someof the younger pitchers coming up, too. That sort of rapport can't be bought on the free-agent market.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
What is the not even getting a vote option? He's 30 years old and actually first played in the majors 6 years ago. Throw in the fact that he plays in Milwaukee and I doubt the voters know he exists or is even a rookie.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 8:22 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
What is the not even getting a vote option? He's 30 years old and actually first played in the majors 6 years ago. Throw in the fact that he plays in Milwaukee and I doubt the voters know he exists or is even a rookie.

Agreed.. 0 votes. Next candidate..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 8:53 AM Post
He can be our rookie of the year. Good enough.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 9:55 AM Post
I agree with Jericho, he will finish out of the picture. Heck, I'm a Brewers fan, and I don't think of him as a ROY type guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 11:25 AM Post
People really think he's not going to get votes? Wow. I certainly hope that's no the case. He's a really good player. Who cares if he's 30?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 12:40 PM Post
Zero votes. Is he having a good year? Absolutely. Is there anything about his season that stands out? No.

He's 9th among NL rookies in OPS, and 3rd in AVG and OBP, and his counting stats aren't that impressive since he doesn't play everyday. Just among hitters I would vote for Bellinger, Renfroe, Josh Bell, DeJong, Happ, and maybe Margot and Brian Goodwin over Pina. There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina. I'm not sure how many guys are on a ballot for rookie of the year but Bellinger, Renfroe, Bell, and Happ will almost certainly be the top 4 on 99% of ballots.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2017, 1:05 PM Post
The voters? I would think they picked out the Voters by one per each team within the league that they cover so that they can make it equil as much as possable.

So with that said I would think the Brewers guy might vote for him but I have tuff time believing any other one would vote for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2017, 9:33 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Zero votes. Is he having a good year? Absolutely. Is there anything about his season that stands out? No.

He's 9th among NL rookies in OPS, and 3rd in AVG and OBP, and his counting stats aren't that impressive since he doesn't play everyday. Just among hitters I would vote for Bellinger, Renfroe, Josh Bell, DeJong, Happ, and maybe Margot and Brian Goodwin over Pina. There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina. I'm not sure how many guys are on a ballot for rookie of the year but Bellinger, Renfroe, Bell, and Happ will almost certainly be the top 4 on 99% of ballots.

If Happ gets more votes, that'd be sad. And he's definitely better than Renfroe. Bell and DeJong are debatable. I completely understand your point about him being under-the-radar due to unfamiliartiy but I think the case can be made that he's had the 2nd best season of any rookie. There's not question he's had a top 5 season.

Anyway, I just think it'll be an interesting case.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2017, 10:59 AM Post

GIF Master
jerichoholicninja said:
There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina.

It's really hard to say whether or not there are any rookie pitchers better than Pina, as we haven't seen him pitch yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 7:36 AM Post
There is at least one writer that has Pina on the MLB All-Rookie team:

https://calltothepen.com/2017/08/19/mlb-rookie-team-far/2/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 7:52 AM Post
I continue to be surprised by how often opposing teams still try to run on him. he's proven to be very good on this all year, combined with all the pickoffs, so I don't know whey teams continue to push it vs him. I guess I don't know the stats and how he ranks, but sure seems solid to me and rarely has a bad throw.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I continue to be surprised by how often opposing teams still try to run on him. he's proven to be very good on this all year, combined with all the pickoffs, so I don't know whey teams continue to push it vs him. I guess I don't know the stats and how he ranks, but sure seems solid to me and rarely has a bad throw.

Pina is throwing out about 35% of base stealers. That's a shade above average. The elite guys this year throw out close to half, the crappy guys throw out 1 in 4. He also only has 4 errors, which tells you he isn't throwing the ball away very often...especially if you factor in all his pick off attempts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Where does Pina finish in ROY voting?

Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:45 AM Post
I didn't expect much from Pina coming into the season, but he has pleasantly surprised. There really isn't a "Catcher of the Future" anywhere close to Major-League ready as of right now, so the job is probably Pina's to lose for the next few seasons. I won't say there hasn't been a downgrade from Lucroy, but it hasn't been nearly as sizable as what was feared. In fact, it could be argued that Pina has come very close to matching Luc's production from the last few years. Bandy and Susac have disappointed, though. I was hoping one of those two would come through as a decent #2. They aren't ancient, though so maybe one still will.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:49 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
tmwiese55 said:

Pina is throwing out about 35% of base stealers. That's a shade above average. The elite guys this year throw out close to half, the crappy guys throw out 1 in 4. He also only has 4 errors, which tells you he isn't throwing the ball away very often...especially if you factor in all his pick off attempts.

I actually just got around to looking it up and was about to post the link, was surprised how easy it was to find. 10th in the league. Leader is at 47% and only 4 guys above 38%. Note our old boy Maldy is 4th at 41%. Pina also has 6 pickoffs, one other has 5 and no one else has more than 3. And obvious we all know there's been what seems like well above a normal amount of pickoff attempts with few errors, and many close to getting outs.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/stats?seas ... p=1&time=0

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
Bellinger will probably win but Pina deserves to be up there somewhere too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 11:09 AM Post
I wonder how his ability to pickoff baserunners effect how many attempts at stealing. Seems logical that the worry of being picked off would keep runners closer to the base thus fewer attempts. It has to effect the ability to take extra bases to some extent as well. I think it is probably pretty small but even a few less stolen bases or runners getting that extra base a few times has to add up to something tangible.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply