LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

radio announcers what you want

Offline  Re: radio announcers what you want

Posted: August 17, 2017, 6:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ennder said:
I want them to not be complete homers, to not have ridiculously stupid home run calls and to not say completely idiotic things during the game. I also want them to be able to put out complete sentences without stumbling over words and to not just be completely boring.

These requests seem easy enough but very few announcers manage to fit all of them and none of the current Brewer guys manage it though Ueker used to.

Watching highlights on mlb.com, you really come to realize how tremendously awful most of the announcers across the league's homerun calls really are. I have to say Hawk Harrelson's "put it on the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD" is the worst.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 6:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
I don't have a good example, but I've heard a few (even from our stand-in announcers) that have left me thinking... wow, that was a terrible home run call. It was like they made a top 10 list in their hotel room and are trying them one-by-one to see what works. And they sound forced.

I'm pretty certain Uek's was spur of the moment and became iconic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:00 AM Post
I guess im in the minority, but I dont need a lot of details on the game if im listening on the radio. I really enjoy the way Ueck calls it, spending more time gabbing about how terrible he was as a player, or talking about sausages and ice cream than really specific details of the at bat. I get more frustrated watching on TV and seeing the ump call a ball/strike on a bad pitch than I do listening to the radio and not having that grid visualization to ruin it.

Also, nothing is better than Ueck calling a homer and having it caught on the warning track. I love it. He gets so pumped and then deflated when he realizes he misjudged the hit.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
torts said:
I guess im in the minority, but I dont need a lot of details on the game if im listening on the radio. I really enjoy the way Ueck calls it, spending more time gabbing about how terrible he was as a player, or talking about sausages and ice cream than really specific details of the at bat. I get more frustrated watching on TV and seeing the ump call a ball/strike on a bad pitch than I do listening to the radio and not having that grid visualization to ruin it.

Also, nothing is better than Ueck calling a homer and having it caught on the warning track. I love it. He gets so pumped and then deflated when he realizes he misjudged the hit.

I really don't mind Ueck's ultra-laid back style, it's just frustrating when something's happening in a game, and you can hear people cheering, and you KNOW something's happening, and he's not telling you what happened. Yesterday was a great example of that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
I don't have a good example, but I've heard a few (even from our stand-in announcers) that have left me thinking... wow, that was a terrible home run call. It was like they made a top 10 list in their hotel room and are trying them one-by-one to see what works. And they sound forced.

I remember a Brave's game, and I think it was ... Chip Carey? Chipper Jones hit a walk off homerun and Carey called it with absolutely a no-frills, monotone voice, it was so hilarious. "There's a fly ball to left. Left fielder going back. He's at the wall. It's gone, and that's the ballgame, Braves win." Super flat, no emotion at all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:33 AM Post
torts said:

This used to really bother me, like he got my hopes up and made a home run call on a stupid fly ball. But then I thought...if I was watching the game myself on TV or in person, I'd have the same reaction. Is it gone? Is it short? Get up! Crap. So now I agree, I kind of like it as I go through the same emotions as he does.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:49 AM Post
I'll forgive Ueck for a lot, and what he lacks in on-point description, he makes up for through sheer charm and longevity. He does have a knack for the big moment still, and when the Crew completes a dramatic victory, I often find myself wishing I'd heard the radio call, to the point that I'll go look it up later.

I'm glad he's paired with Levering, though. And the Levering/Grindl road combo is a really nice change of pace. Great detail, good rapport, and the 3-3-3 innings model is more enjoyable for me than the 2-2-2-1-2. I hope that's the next great Brewer radio team. It would be awesome to have a non-player featured broadcast pair. I guess that's a little more common in radio, but the two non-Milwaukee crews I hear most are the Cubs and the Twins. Ron Coomer is just awful. If you thought Ueck didn't describe the action, man. I've heard Cubs innings end when I wasn't aware an out was recorded, not to mention RISP hits where there's no information given about where the runner ended up. Dan Gladden isn't as bad, but he's definitely a typical ex-player. Provus and Hughes do a great job as the main guys for those pairs.

If you haven't seen the Fangraphs announcer rankings from a couple of years ago (essentially just a crowdsourced survey with some representative comments), they're here:

Radio: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-bro ... adio-10-1/

TV: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-bro ... s-tv-10-1/

It's a little dated, but still a fun read. I second Cleveland's broadcast team as a personal favorite. Worth the Gameday Audio subscription.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 7:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I feel like Levering and Grindl have grown on me, and I much prefer when they're in the booth together, as opposed to the rotational aspect that we're used to with Uecker and his sidekick du jour.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 8:23 AM Post
I agree that Uecker has lost a step or two in the booth in recent years, but I'd still rather listen to a game he's calling than not.

I find that I can't tell the difference between Levering and Grindl...their voices are so similar. I really like Levering, much more than Joe Block, and hope he sticks around long enough to see Uecker retire for good because I think he'd do a pretty good job.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 8:30 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
CheezWizHed said:

I remember a Brave's game, and I think it was ... Chip Carey? Chipper Jones hit a walk off homerun and Carey called it with absolutely a no-frills, monotone voice, it was so hilarious. "There's a fly ball to left. Left fielder going back. He's at the wall. It's gone, and that's the ballgame, Braves win." Super flat, no emotion at all.

I bet that was Skip Carey who's voice changed very little with whatever was happening on the field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 8:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
yfinn6 said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
CheezWizHed said:

I bet that was Skip Carey who's voice changed very little with whatever was happening on the field.

Skip, thanks!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 10:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
NeedMoreFans said:
I agree that Uecker has lost a step or two in the booth in recent years, but I'd still rather listen to a game he's calling than not.

I find that I can't tell the difference between Levering and Grindl...their voices are so similar. I really like Levering, much more than Joe Block, and hope he sticks around long enough to see Uecker retire for good because I think he'd do a pretty good job.

Yeah, I'm annoyed when I do listen to a game and then remember we are on the road and there is no Ueck... Or during the HOF stuff when we were at home and he was off inducting Selig.

Another thing that I've noticed in recent years is that for several innings there will only be one guy doing both color and play-by-play. The two playing off each other is what I've enjoyed. It feels like you are stuck with one guy talking to himself...

Was it Ueck and Joe Block pairing where Ueck would get into uber-story mode and Joe would be inserting game play-by-play during Uecker pauses while using a monotone, semi-whisper. "So, I hit a home run once.... <single-up-the-middle-by-Braun> .. and the pitcher never forgave himself." Maybe my sense of humor is off, but I always thought that was hilarious.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 10:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
I love Uecker. I don't listen to lots of games, but I'm always a bit sad when he's not there. I realize part of it is nostalgia, but I just think he's entertaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 10:46 AM Post
I don't have Sirius anymore and I haven't purchased the MLB radio package, but it was interesting to survey other teams' crews when I did.

I'm surprised Cleveland's Tom Hamilton is getting love. He knows the game, and calls it well up until something big happens, then his calls are so insanely over-the-top it just grates on me. I don't need forced emotion.

I've always enjoyed the Reds broadcasts. They're the anti-homer form of broadcasting, especially Marty Brennaman. They BS and all of that too, but when a spade has to be called a spade, they get right on it.

Cubs games are fine so long as its Pat Hughes doing the talking. He's my favorite Uecker second banana by a wide margin.

Cardinals are OK, if homerish. John Rooney is a pro. Mike Shannon's voice grates and he's getting up there in years ... and he's the homer of the crew.

I've found, with some exceptions both ways, that the better radio crews are out west and the cruddier ones are out east. Mets' crew is a notable exception.

Then there's the TV crews. We have Reds, Cubs, Cardinals and White Sox broadcasts available to us. Just thank your lucky stars you don't have Cardinals TV. They're unbearable. (Though it was fun to watch them bitch-and-moan their way through the game they blew in Boston last night.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Paul77 said:
I'm still struggling with the thread title...

why what you problem with?

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing]
This had me laughing out loud

+1

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 1:00 PM Post
Uecker makes me laugh and I enjoy his game calling. He's not always perfect. The other day Hernan replaced Keon in centerfield and Ueck kept calling Broxton in center making the play. But, he is passionate about baseball and his Brewers and I like that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 2:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Bob Uecker is a treasure in every way.

We will miss him when he's gone, and I hope that's not for another 25 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 3:14 PM Post
rcc said:
Uecker makes me laugh and I enjoy his game calling. He's not always perfect. The other day Hernan replaced Keon in centerfield and Ueck kept calling Broxton in center making the play. But, he is passionate about baseball and his Brewers and I like that.

I agree, and that's how I feel about Rock and Brian. They've been around so long, there's just that familiarity and I enjoy all the friendly banter going back and forth. Could Ueck mention the count more often? Sure. Should Brian know how to pronounce Pina's name? Sure. But that stuff is so minor to me compared to the overall entertainment value.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 5:53 PM Post
I am hoping Tim Dillard slides in for Uecker when he finally hangs it up. i wouldn't mind bringing him in as the 3rd guy once he finally retires until then. The issue with Levering and Grindle is that they are both play by play guys and the broadcast is very boring when Uecker takes a roadtrip off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 18, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
I think both Levering and Grindle are both boring and agree they are really play-by-play guys. I will miss Ueck on this west coast trip.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply