Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Outfield

Offline  2018 Outfield

Posted: August 25, 2017, 9:52 AM Post
Right now:

LF- Braun
CF- Broxton
RF- Santana

Brinson and Phillips waiting in the wings.

I bring this up because Braun is a 120-130 game player when completely healthy. Brinson has been injury prone his entire career so far, only playing in 100+ games twice. Maybe we do keep Broxton and Phillips and just let the healthiest players play?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2018 Outfield

Posted: August 25, 2017, 10:04 AM Post
I'd guess they trade Broxton for the best they can get in the offseason. And #ownthefuture with Brinson/Phillips sharing CF and filling in for Braun's planned off days and inevitable stints on the DL.

Unless a trade comes up, such as for a higher end SP, that would require using Phillips in the trade then they can keep Keon. I don't see that happening though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 10:45 AM Post
Stearns has always tried making guys compete for spots. I could see him keeping all 3 for that reason. All 3 guys are tremendously talented...going into the offseason knowing they have every opportunity to earn the starting CF job but also knowing the other 2 guys are pretty damn good. If that doesn't motivate you to work like crazy in the offseason, I don't know what does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
I really don't see any additions or subtractions from the current outfield for 2018. Maybe Broxton is traded but I just can't see them giving CF to Brinson or Phillips unless they come up and tear up September and Brinson is almost a certainly not going to play anymore this year.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2018 Outfield

Posted: August 25, 2017, 1:55 PM Post
At this point there's nothing wrong with pushing the permanent ETA for Brinson back to mid 2018. By all means listen to offers for Broxton but don't trade just to trade him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 1:57 PM Post
Saw a Heyman blurb about the Brewers getting offers for Santana and possibility of offseason trade. At first I thought I was completely against that but if the return could net a top starting pitcher I think I'd listen. Braun Broxton Phillips and Brinson with Perez as 5th OFer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 2:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
FYI -
Santana Free Agent in 2022
Broxton 2023
Brinson, Phillips....after that.

So they have all of them controlled for a while. Really don't have to do anything if they don't want to.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 2:28 PM Post
Fan of Phillips and would like competition between him and Broxton. Brinson I'm not sure of but would like sharing time with Braun, Phillips, and Santana.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 2:30 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I really don't see any additions or subtractions from the current outfield for 2018. Maybe Broxton is traded but I just can't see them giving CF to Brinson or Phillips unless they come up and tear up September and Brinson is almost a certainly not going to play anymore this year.

These guys don't need to tear it up in September to have a legit chance at a starting job to start 2018. They've done what they needed to in AAA. They could show plenty in spring training along with their 2017 AAA production to warrant the starting gig. A good showing would certainly help things, but they will absolutely base their decision on more than one month of likely sporadic September at bats.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
Questions remain about whether Brinson can stay healthy and whether either Brinson or Phillips can hit MLB pitching

Braun of course will likely never play a full season without injury again

I'd try to figure out a way to have the starting OF be Braun, Brinson, Phillips but I wouldn't get rid of Santana or Broxton just yet

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 3:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
I'd guess they trade Broxton for the best they can get in the offseason. And #ownthefuture with Brinson/Phillips sharing CF and filling in for Braun's planned off days and inevitable stints on the DL.

Unless a trade comes up, such as for a higher end SP, that would require using Phillips in the trade then they can keep Keon. I don't see that happening though.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Braun, Brinson, Santana with Phillips giving each a day off a week versus righties. That would be 136 games each for the starters & 78 for Maverick assuming perfect health (which we know isn't happening). If that truly ends up being the alignment Brett should have no problem getting 100 starts & around 450-500 PAs with injuries, pinch hitting & games where Braun/Santana DH.

I wouldn't actively shop Santana but if some team comes in & blows Stearns away with an offer that includes talented, controllable starting pitching I'd pull the trigger on that & keep Keon instead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 3:36 PM Post
If I'm trading any of those guys it's Santana. He's just flat out awful in the field. Maybe he can play 1B but with Thames/Aguilar and possibly Shaw if some prospect 3B turns up I doubt they try him there. An outfield with 2 of Broxton, Brinson, and Phillips is darn good defensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 3:38 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Questions remain about whether Brinson can stay healthy and whether either Brinson or Phillips can hit MLB pitching

Braun of course will likely never play a full season without injury again

I'd try to figure out a way to have the starting OF be Braun, Brinson, Phillips but I wouldn't get rid of Santana or Broxton just yet

I'm on the fence when it comes to keeping or shopping Santana. I love what he brings to the offense, he's young, and I feel he has yet to reach his ceiling. His defense on the other hand... If he gets traded, i would want it to be after the 2018 season. I would imagine Clark, Ray, Harrison, Taylor, and maybe Lutz (bit of a stretch) will be knocking on the door to the majors by then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 3:46 PM Post
My ideal would be to trade Broxton and go with Braun Santana and whoever wins the job between Brinson and Phillips. Broxton is just too streaky and when he's down he's so down that he gets himself sent down to AAA. Neither Brinson nor Phillips have anything left to prove in AAA so sending them back there would do them no good. If you need to platoon them for now then do that. Or just use one as the 4th outfielder and give them 2-3 starts a week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 6:33 PM Post
I wouldn't trade any of them and I have no problem having the two rookies start the season as bench players. Braun, Santana, Broxton, Brinson, Phillips and I'd feel pretty good about those five. Love the fact that Brinson and Phillips can play all the outfield spots and one is a lefty bat and the other is a righty bat. Maybe Braun stays healthy and Broxton gets off to a huge start and earns 150+ start in centerfield, but my gut feeling is that there will be enough at-bats for all five of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 8:34 AM Post
i'd be ok trading Santana as long as we get good value. Khris Davis is a similar player to Santana (good power/offense, weak defense) and I was underwhelmed with who we got back. The trade looks even worse now that Nottingham has stagnated in AA.

We need TOR pitching prospect. Just not sure Santana would net that in a trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 9:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
I wouldn't trade any of them and I have no problem having the two rookies start the season as bench players. Braun, Santana, Broxton, Brinson, Phillips and I'd feel pretty good about those five.

There just aren't enough starts for 5 starting quality players among those three spots. Hopefully Broxton ends the season well and they can get a decent return for him. Then Braun, Brinson, Phillips and Santana in the OF makes a pretty quality group. Brinson and Phillips can tandem and give Braun/Santana breaks or injury replacements.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 10:37 AM Post
The problem in my mind is this. Phillips and Brinson need regular at bats, not be in a 4th or 5th OF role. They need to play every day to begin to figure out MLB pitching. I don't want either of them to be on the bench 3 or 4 days a week, with an occasional pinch hit appearance thrown in the mix.

They NEED regular at bats...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 11:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
Looking back at the Brewers yearly splits their outfielders consistently accumulate over 2,000 plate appearances a season. With careful lineup management & inevitable Braun injuries it should be no problem to get four outfielders 500+ plate appearances each.

If we open next year with Braun, Brinson, Santana & Phillips in rotation I would actually expect Braun to end up with the fewest PAs of the four just because it seems like even when he's healthy he's hurt.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 12:53 PM Post
turborickey said:
The problem in my mind is this. Phillips and Brinson need regular at bats, not be in a 4th or 5th OF role. They need to play every day to begin to figure out MLB pitching. I don't want either of them to be on the bench 3 or 4 days a week, with an occasional pinch hit appearance thrown in the mix.

They NEED regular at bats...

I see this most likely happening.

1. Stearns trades Broxton for the best offer he gets.

2. Brinson is at least initially given the everyday job in CF.

3. Phillips is the 4th outfielder. Braun always needs days off and is a lock to miss stretches via various strains/pulls, this gives Phillips at bats. He also gets some starts in CF vs tough righties and in RF to rest Santana. So he'd get plenty of playing time, not just a random start here and there.

Then it will be up to Brinson and Phillips to see who is most productive. If say Brinson struggles a lot for an extended stretch and Phillips plays well, maybe Brinson gets sent down and Phillips plays everyday in CF.

That's why i don't want Phillips traded unless the return is really good. Brinson is a higher rated prospect, but no prospect is ever a sure thing. Phillips is a buffer in CF in case Brinson doesn't pan out as we hope or if say Santana or Braun was traded.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply