LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wild Card: Forget about it

Offline  Wild Card: Forget about it

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:40 PM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
There's no reason in hell not to be thinking Central champ. The Cubs are floundering, plain and simple. My thinking last week was the Cards/Brewers had to win a combined 9 of 14 to have a chance. By sweeping them last weekend you lowered that equation....significantly.

They're in a heap of trouble and they know it. Wouldn't it be something if they didn't make the playoffs AT ALL. Man, would the sportswriters love that!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Wild Card: Forget about it

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:41 PM Post
Dead Simmons said:
There's no reason in hell not to be thinking Central champ. The Cubs are floundering, plain and simple. My thinking last week was the Cards/Brewers had to win a combined 9 of 14 to have a chance. By sweeping them last weekend you lowered that equation....significantly.

They're in a heap of trouble and they know it. Wouldn't it be something if they didn't make the playoffs AT ALL. Man, would the sportswriters love that!

Everyone outside of Illinois would love it. Nobody like the cubs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:44 PM Post

GIF Master
Dead Simmons said:
Wouldn't it be something if they didn't make the playoffs AT ALL. Man, would the sportswriters love that!

I'd be on board for a Dodgers/Nationals/Brewers/Diamondbacks/Rockies playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:48 PM Post
There is no reason to be thinking about the wild card cause we just put ourselves 4 games back on the 12th of September. Might just be division or bust.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:54 PM Post
Yeah I don't see any way of winning the Wild Card. If they start winning and take care of business against the Cubs and Cardinals they will win the division and if they don't win those games they can't catch the Rockies anyways.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 12:59 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Agree that the division is looking like the best path, but as we know a 4-game lead lead against a single team can disappear quickly.

A Nationals/Cardinals rematch would be a fun one. Knowing history, I would be tempted to take the Cardinals in that series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 1:19 PM Post
Can we just for one year be a team that really doesn't belong in the playoffs but we somehow win the correct number of games to do so? It happens for other franchises. Never seems to for us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 1:26 PM Post
We have no idea. None. The Dodgers of all teams in the middle of a horrible losing streak, the Tribe can't lose.

Plenty of games left for almost anything to happen. The Brewer could pass Cubs, Rockies, and Cards or they may be nowhere close by the time this is all done. Over the years a lot of crazy things have happened in the last week of the season, let alone THREE weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 3:10 PM Post

Outlander said:
Yeah I don't see any way of winning the Wild Card. If they start winning and take care of business against the Cubs and Cardinals they will win the division and if they don't win those games they can't catch the Rockies anyways.
Yep....a week ago it looked like the Rocks were slipping away. Now they are getting dramatic wins vs. tough teams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 7:04 PM Post
Don't settle for just lucking into the playoffs, I want the whole thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 7:14 PM Post
igor67 said:
Don't settle for just lucking into the playoffs, I want the whole thing.

Yea the team isn't thinking about which spot they're going for. They're simply trying to win as many games as they can and they hope it's enough to win the division, if not they hope it's enough for the WC. It's that simple.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 8:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
Another division title flag would look nice on that left field wall, if nothing else. We've had a grand total of two in franchise history.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 8:43 PM Post
Everyone was excited when they saw the Rockies had to play the Dodgers. I wasn't. The Dodgers have just about nothing to play for and it's showing by losing 11 in a row.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 9:01 PM Post
I hope we do squeeze in. My worst nightmare is we let the Cubs off the hook and they end up repeating. I'd throw up for months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 9:57 PM Post

jerichoholicninja said:
Everyone was excited when they saw the Rockies had to play the Dodgers. I wasn't. The Dodgers have just about nothing to play for and it's showing by losing 11 in a row.

It's a death knell for LA.....they don't recover from this. AZ and CO will fare better in the post

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:05 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

They're not losing because they have nothing to play for. They'd probably be better off telling themselves they have nothing to play for because they seem to be pressing like crazy. They want to win right now, and they need to get it turned around whether clinched or not.

But yeah, it was about a week ago (?) or so that we were just a half game out of the WC and they had L.A. and Arizona coming up. Looked like a good opportunity but now Colorado got hot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:18 AM Post
I just have this weird feeling the Cardinals are going to be the team to win the division. They still have the Cubs 7 more times and seem to be getting hot at the right time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:59 AM Post

shanedog19 said:
I just have this weird feeling the Cardinals are going to be the team to win the division. They still have the Cubs 7 more times and seem to be getting hot at the right time.

We are 4-8 vs. the Cubs so far. They eat our lunch. Ate it last season too. I have to feel a little less scared now because the Cubs are not hitting. Not for average anyway. Chris Bryant leads the team at .285. The Memphis Redbirds now playing in St. Louis (5 of 'em) are batting a combined .300 with power.

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down. Which brings me to Schwarber: word on the Chicago street is that he will be GONE after the season. [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:04 AM Post
Dead Simmons said:
shanedog19 said:

We are 4-8 vs. the Cubs so far. They eat our lunch. Ate it last season too. I have to feel a little less scared now because the Cubs are not hitting. Not for average anyway. Chris Bryant leads the team at .285. The Memphis Redbirds now playing in St. Louis (5 of 'em) are batting a combined .300 with power.

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down.

Well the Cardinals are playing better right now. You will start with the ultimate mismatch of Martinez vs Lackey. And you'll for sure miss Lester. They are listing Saturday and Sunday as TBD in hopes that Arrieta can pitch, you'll likely face 2 of Quintana, Hendricks, Arrieta. Cardinals seem like the type of team that would destroy Hendricks, we'll see. At the moment I'm hoping the Cardinals take 4 or 5 of the remaining 7 from Chicago, that might change by the 25th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:09 AM Post
Just remember the crew needs to take care of their Business first

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply