LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wild Card: Forget about it

Offline  Re: Wild Card: Forget about it

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:10 AM Post
Invader3K said:
Another division title flag would look nice on that left field wall, if nothing else. We've had a grand total of two in franchise history.

It is embarrassing to root for a team that flies a divisional title flag, honestly

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:07 PM Post

Resident Cardinals Refugee
KeithStone53151 said:
Dead Simmons said:
shanedog19 said:
I just have this weird feeling the Cardinals are going to be the team to win the division. They still have the Cubs 7 more times and seem to be getting hot at the right time.

We are 4-8 vs. the Cubs so far. They eat our lunch. Ate it last season too. I have to feel a little less scared now because the Cubs are not hitting. Not for average anyway. Chris Bryant leads the team at .285. The Memphis Redbirds now playing in St. Louis (5 of 'em) are batting a combined .300 with power.

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down.

Well the Cardinals are playing better right now. You will start with the ultimate mismatch of Martinez vs Lackey. And you'll for sure miss Lester. They are listing Saturday and Sunday as TBD in hopes that Arrieta can pitch, you'll likely face 2 of Quintana, Hendricks, Arrieta. Cardinals seem like the type of team that would destroy Hendricks, we'll see. At the moment I'm hoping the Cardinals take 4 or 5 of the remaining 7 from Chicago, that might change by the 25th.

Oh yeah, missing Lester is huge. Not only does he out-pitch us, he PICKS US OFF of 1st base!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:11 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Invader3K said:
Another division title flag would look nice on that left field wall, if nothing else. We've had a grand total of two in franchise history.

It is embarrassing to root for a team that flies a divisional title flag, honestly

Well I hope you never look slightly to the left of that divisional title flag and see the wild card flag.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:12 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Invader3K said:

You haven't noticed the Wild Card pennant on the wall? I've always thought that looked a bit weak. Plus just the general still obsession with the 82 team that didn't win it all. Fun bunch of guys it seems and heck of a run, and I know it's all we have so what choice do they have but to play it up, but the nonstop talk of it 35 years later...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 1:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
You haven't noticed the Wild Card pennant on the wall? I've always thought that looked a bit weak. Plus just the general still obsession with the 82 team that didn't win it all. Fun bunch of guys it seems and heck of a run, and I know it's all we have so what choice do they have but to play it up, but the nonstop talk of it 35 years later...

I don't mind the small flags on the left field wall myself. They help tell the story of the team's history, which unfortunately isn't filled with tons of championships like the Yankees and Cardinals. Division titles and wild card spots are still notable. I see no shame in commemorating them.

That said, I'm personally glad they removed that faded and crappy looking 1982 "flag" that was on the left field roof line for many years. That was looking pretty sad and dated. I also agree in general that the 1982 obsession needs to be done. I was two years old that season. I am not enriched by the memory of that team in the least.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:09 PM Post
Every team in every sport flies division titles flags. Nothing embarrassing about that.

I believe the wild card flag was painted over and is no longer there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:12 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Every team in every sport flies division titles flags. Nothing embarrassing about that.

I believe the wild card flag was painted over and is no longer there.

I don't think that any of this is true. For example, Busch Stadium has their World Champion Flags up but I do not recall seeing any division champs.

And the 2008 Wild Card banner is still up and in play.

And yes, it is somewhat embarrassing.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:17 PM Post
Are you sure about the wild card thing? I always thought it was stupid but noticed some time ago the "2008 wild card champions" thing was painted over. We must be referring to something else, because I'm 100% certain the thing in left was painted over. I've looked right at the paint splotch over it many, many times.

As far as celebrating division titles being "embarrassing" I'll digress. The Packers still put them on the ring. The Bucks owned the 80s and still noted them all.

It's an achievement that should be celebrated. I think calling it embarrassing is frankly just being a sourpuss. You won the division. It's a good thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:19 PM Post
Never mind, just found a photo of it. The banner is hanging, but the 2008 Wild Card "Champions" banner that was painted on WAS painted over.

I'm fine with the banner as long as they aren't calling it "wild card champions"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:23 PM Post
Wild Card World Champions, lol

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:38 PM Post

I wonder if the Braves have all their division flags flying? Anyone know?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 2:40 PM Post
I've posted a similar statement in the optimism thread - with the games remaining against the Cardinals and Cubs, the Brewers simply need to avoid falling on their faces against the rest of their remaining schedule to have their playoff fate in their own hands.

As a Brewer fan, you root for the mets to take at least one of the final 2 against the Cubs before the Cubs and Cards hopefully beat up on each other this weekend. If the Brewers win tonight and find a way to win the series against the Marlins - which will fortunately be taking place at Miller Park - they'll likely find themselves no worse than 1 game out of first heading into a stretch that has the Cubs playing the Brewers and Cards 8 times.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 4:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Dead Simmons said:
I wonder if the Braves have all their division flags flying? Anyone know?

They did at Turner Field, I know that. But I don't know about the new place. Haven't seen a good enough picture to check.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 5:01 PM Post
I'm good with the division flags. The WC flag is a bit much.

What if they win the second Wild Card, then lose the play-in game? Does the Wild Card 2017 banner still hang proud next to the 2008 one? Yeesh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:44 PM Post
It should depend on the team. Should the Packers put up banners for division and wild card years? No, they already have 13 titles and that's more than enough to celebrate. The Brewers have 0 titles and 1 pennant. At this point, fly a banner for a winning season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:47 PM Post
Brewers now 3 games back on that second wildcard and 2.5 back on the division. Division is still obviously the easier path as they play their divisional foes down the stretch and those divisional foes have the opportunity to beat on eachother. With the Marlins up next they have a good chance to make up some ground if they can't start beating inferior talent like they should.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 12:41 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Everyone was excited when they saw the Rockies had to play the Dodgers. I wasn't. The Dodgers have just about nothing to play for and it's showing by losing 11 in a row.

By that logic I'm guessing you weren't worried about them playing the Brewers heading into their series a few weeks ago. The Dodgers haven't had anything to play since the all star break.

Their losing streak has nothing to do with them not having anything to play for, it has to do with them struggling. Anyone see Clayton Kershaw screaming and throwing stuff in the dugout after his last loss? Sure didn't look like a guy who didn't care because he had nothing to play for.

If anything, when a team is as talented as the Dodgers are, it seems more likely that having no pressure would be a good thing. It just goes to show how unpredictable the game is.

I find it difficult to believe anyone saw the Dodgers recent struggles coming before time. Now maybe if you're talking about the final week of the season when a team has locked up their spot in the post-season I can see them taking their foot off the gas, but the Dodgers are throwing Kershaw, Darvish, Bellinger, Seager and all the rest out there every night. This is an early unprecedented collapse/struggles by a dominant team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 12:45 AM Post
adambr2 said:

What if they win the second Wild Card, then lose the play-in game? Does the Wild Card 2017 banner still hang proud next to the 2008 one? Yeesh.

Yes..they should. Qualifying for the playoffs in baseball is no small feat. And I don't know how you make a distinction between when to fly a WC flag. If one year they go one and done and the next they lose in 7 in the NLCS do you only hang one for the second year?

It's a small thing and probably mostly inconsequential long term, but you don't get a lot of chances to hang banners or make the playoffs. Certainly not when you were expected to be closer to 90 losses than 90 wins.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 7:38 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
adambr2 said:

Yes..they should. Qualifying for the playoffs in baseball is no small feat. And I don't know how you make a distinction between when to fly a WC flag. If one year they go one and done and the next they lose in 7 in the NLCS do you only hang one for the second year?

It's a small thing and probably mostly inconsequential long term, but you don't get a lot of chances to hang banners or make the playoffs. Certainly not when you were expected to be closer to 90 losses than 90 wins.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I'm not trying to downplay what it would mean for us to make the playoffs this year, because no doubt for THIS team given pre-season expectations, it would be a huge accomplishment.

With that said, looking at the bigger scope....33.3% of teams make the playoffs, so just an average franchise averages playoffs one out of every 3 years in this era. Is it diluted as much as the NBA and NHL, no. Is it much 'less' of an accomplishment than it was in the early 90s and prior, yes.

The NFL is probably the closest comparable (37.5% of teams to the playoffs). I guess correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine there are any indicators hanging up at Lambeau of the 2009 and 2015 Wild Card teams, for example.

To me, part of it is simply getting out of that old Brewers mentality of 'we're just happy be to here', and goes along a bit with the overcelebration of the 1982 team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 11:39 AM Post

MrTPlush said:
Brewers now 3 games back on that second wildcard and 2.5 back on the division. Division is still obviously the easier path as they play their divisional foes down the stretch and those divisional foes have the opportunity to beat on eachother. With the Marlins up next they have a good chance to make up some ground if they can't start beating inferior talent like they should.

I had forgotten about the Marlins...MORE to worry about! [ohwell]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply