LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Anderson starting tomorrow

Offline  Re: Anderson starting tomorrow

Posted: September 13, 2017, 1:18 AM Post
DHonks said:
This makes perfect sense. Last Saturday I assumed he was starting due to being removed after 67 pitches

Absolutely. Plus, Anderson has a relatively fresh arm, and is the type of guy who seems to get better and sharper the more he pitches. You can't just sit back and play it safe if you want to make up these games over the last 3 weeks.

I like the way he's handling that 4th spot right now...just basically a long reliever and then BP by committee the rest of the way giving our young guys a chance to PH.

[quote=3and2fastball]It really took Counsell a long time to realize that Barnes was a poor choice late in games[/quote]

Well, first of all, we didn't really have any options until we added one late inning guy via trade and the other option was a young prospect who we didn't want to work too hard and needed 3 days off between appearances.

And as far as Villar, I really like him and I hope he's part of our future, I hope he's given the first shot at 2nd base next year, but Walker's also playing well(.845 OPS in twice the AB's) not to mention Villar's got a nearly .500 BABIP during that time. I'm sure if he hadn't struggled early, and we hadn't needed to trade for Walker, we'd be running Villar out there now, but he did and we are.

If Villar hadn't struggled sooo badly in CF(not his fault) then he'd probably be playing more. But you can't Kotsay games away here...

I have to be honest, I'm a little surprised people have lost confidence in CC. Doesn't anyone believe that maybe his nature has helped this team believe they could compete when they had absolutely no reason to coming into the year? We're complaining about his moves, but it's not like you want to start Villar over Arcia or Shaw, can't start him in CF and it's pretty close between he and Walker.

To me, he's a huge part of the reason they're here. I think he's gonna be a Tom Kelly/Ron Gardenhire type of guy in that he comes in during a rebuild and ends up sticking around for a long time. Hopefully this move works out.

But mainly I'm good with it because Anderson threw so few pitches and, again, if fresh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 6:31 AM Post
Here's the issue. None of the names mentioned to fill the 5th spot will have pitched for almost 2 weeks. Why isn't Jungmann up throwing simulated games? Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 7:58 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Here's the issue. None of the names mentioned to fill the 5th spot will have pitched for almost 2 weeks. Why isn't Jungmann up throwing simulated games? Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

They likely have a very good idea of what they want to do with the rotation for the rest of the year already... they just aren't telling anyone. If it's jungmann or Wilkerson, I'd bet good money they are doing what is necessary to be sharp for whatever start they are given.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 8:11 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

They likely have a very good idea of what they want to do with the rotation for the rest of the year already... they just aren't telling anyone. If it's jungmann or Wilkerson, I'd bet good money they are doing what is necessary to be sharp for whatever start they are given.

Yep. Just because we are not being told, doesn't mean they aren't taking actions. I'm glad they keep things close to the vest.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 8:34 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
adambr2 said:
For someone who I thought was a pretty good manager, Counsell has mismanaged this series beyond belief.
Garza is so awesome. What is this, our 3rd bases loaded walk this series?

Yup. His rotation manipulation was a signal to the team that this series didn't mean anything. It's subtle messages like that destroy a team's momentum.

JohnBriggs12 said:
Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

I'm confused. If they throw a 5th starter on Friday instead of Davies, wouldn't that send a signal to the team that that game/series doesn't mean anything?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 8:59 AM Post
Yea no way they should do that, win as many as you can now and figure it out later as you go. If you don't, the later Cubs games could be irrelevant. If anything you could move him back from the last Pit game to the first Cubs game. Do a bullpen day in the last Pit game. Win now, worry about that stuff when it comes up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:08 AM Post
I'd go big and bring up Freddie Peralta to start the next time we need a starter. He needs to be added to the 40 man anyways in November, bring him up and cut Garza. I really feel like we are playing with house money at this point, why not create some excitement with getting a glimpse of the future?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:23 AM Post
shanedog19 said:
I'd go big and bring up Freddie Peralta to start the next time we need a starter. He needs to be added to the 40 man anyways in November, bring him up and cut Garza. I really feel like we are playing with house money at this point, why not create some excitement with getting a glimpse of the future?

Better yet if Garza was DL'd and then you can replace him with someone else on the roster if we make the playoffs (knock on wood).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:33 AM Post
hurricanecrush said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
adambr2 said:
For someone who I thought was a pretty good manager, Counsell has mismanaged this series beyond belief.
Garza is so awesome. What is this, our 3rd bases loaded walk this series?

Yup. His rotation manipulation was a signal to the team that this series didn't mean anything. It's subtle messages like that destroy a team's momentum.

JohnBriggs12 said:
Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

I'm confused. If they throw a 5th starter on Friday instead of Davies, wouldn't that send a signal to the team that that game/series doesn't mean anything?

No it would give the 5th starter a better chance, and allow Davies to pitch Saturday in Florida and Thursday against the Cubs rather than pitching Friday vs. Marlins and Wednesday vs. Pirates. Then Counsell could go with Davies, Woodruff, Suter & the pen and Anderson in Cub series. At this point every game is critical but games vs. Cubs are do or die.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:55 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Yea no way they should do that, win as many as you can now and figure it out later as you go. If you don't, the later Cubs games could be irrelevant. If anything you could move him back from the last Pit game to the first Cubs game. Do a bullpen day in the last Pit game. Win now, worry about that stuff when it comes up.

My rotation starting Friday:

Fri 9/15: Jungmann
Sat 9/16: Davies
Sun 9/17: Woodruff
Mon 9/18: Anderson
Tues 9/19: Suter
Wed 9/20: Jungmann
Thu 9/21: Davies
Fri 9/22: Woodruff
Sat 9/23: Anderson
Sun 9/24: Suter
Tue 9/26: Davies
Wed 9/27: Woodruff
Thu 9/28: Jungmann
Fri 9/29: Anderson
Sat 9/30: Davies
Sun 10/1: Suter

Anderson and Davies each make 4 more starts with both getting one game vs. Cubs and one game vs. Cards.

The Cub games could be irrelevant anyway if they head into them 6 back, but if they are within 4, they'll count double. and 3 out of 4 would be absolute necessity.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:19 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
tmwiese55 said:

Anderson and Davies each make 4 more starts with both getting one game vs. Cubs and one game vs. Cards.

The Cub games could be irrelevant anyway if they head into them 6 back, but if they are within 4, they'll count double. and 3 out of 4 would be absolute necessity.

Davies will start Friday on normal rest due to the day off. Shift everything back one day and it's pretty close. I think Davies pitches on the 24th on short rest against the cubs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:21 AM Post
The Brewers already announced no more call-ups from AAA, so Jungmann is not an option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:23 AM Post
topper09er said:
The Brewers already announced no more call-ups from AAA, so Jungmann is not an option.

Do you have a source? I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:29 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
topper09er said:

It wasn't that definitive. They said it that no call ups as of now but left a window open for later if needed.

Overall what was laid out above is fine and I wouldn't argue with you on it. I see the logic and it's certainly a viable option. One thing I'd add a flaw in it is that Jungman/Suter would be going back to back. So your two likely bullpen heavy days will be back to back. But I just think they'll go with what they have instead of throwing someone new into the fire, short day starts here or there as needed mixed with bullpen days. That said, you might need another person like a Jungmann/Wilkerson to play the Suter role of getting 3-4 innings to start during the#5 slot when needed

Last edited by tmwiese55 on September 13, 2017, 12:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:32 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
topper09er said:

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 1772100609

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:01 AM Post
topper09er said:
KeithStone53151 said:
topper09er said:

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 1772100609

I saw that too. I assume that means just that day. I believe after that Counsel or Stearns referenced an AAA starter coming up as a possibility and that it would have to be soon or they might not be sharp. Point being, it isn't ruled out yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:27 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
tmwiese55 said:

You could line it up so the Jungmann gets only two starts (9/19, 9/30) and Woodruff (9/16, 21, 26, 10/1) gets four starts versus what you have. You would have Davies, Jungmann, and Woodruff as the pitchers for the St. Louis series. Since it would be the second to last day of the season, you could piggy back Suter to Jungmann. If we made it through to the postseason Anderson and then Davies would be lined up to pitch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 11:54 AM Post
I THINK that if he didn't pitch on 3 days rest he would miss the cubs series. I think this has more to do with this than anything. I THINK now he will pitch on the series finale.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:12 PM Post
Wilkerson is getting the call, per mccalvy

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:40 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Wilkerson is getting the call, per mccalvy

Boy, I hope he was at least playing catch the last week or so.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply