LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Who has played their last game as a Brewer?

Offline  Re: Who has played their last game as a Brewer?

Posted: October 02, 2017, 11:50 AM Post
bork said:
The season ends and then we find out again that Braun was playing hurt. Big surprise.

A left calf injury forced two stints on the disabled list in May before Braun's right wrist became the problem by July. He had a cortisone shot at the All-Star break, then quietly fought through irritation for most of the second half, impacting his ability to drive the baseball.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/257039266/brewers-ryan-braun-looks-back-on-2017-season/

I thought they told us in July that he was dealing with a calf injury and would be all season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 11:52 AM Post
Honestly can anyone remember the last tim Braun was healthy for more than three days in a row?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 12:13 PM Post
The calf injury was known, but I don't think the wrist injury was revealed until now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 1:08 PM Post
This is a bit out there but I wonder if Domingo Santana is around next season. Braun is going to be here. Phillips and Broxton would make a good platoon in center and we need a place for Brinson sooner than later. Santana is a very good offensive threat but he is also a liability in the field. He could bring a lot more in return if we trade him and have Broxton as the 4th outfielder/weak side of a platoon.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 1:16 PM Post
Santana being traded makes too much sense not too happen, get the best prospect package you can get. Play Phillips and Brinson in CF and RF next year, and I might actually keep Broxton as a backup to both unless you can get something for him in trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 1:18 PM Post
I would probably rather trade Braun for nothing than trade Santana for some prospects. If the goal is to compete next year you don't trade Santana before Braun unless Santana got you back major league talent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:12 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Very on the fence about Keon Broxton. All this talk about OF depth, but who do you put as the 4th OFer? Do you really make Phillips or Brinson the 4th OFer where ABs will be a bit sporadic? I think there is a chance Keon Broxton stays as a 4th OFer. I think Jonathan Villar stays another year.

You donn't have to have a designated 4th OF. Four OFs splitting time somewhat evenly will still get 120 starts each. There will inevitably be some injuries, Platoon situations. Braun isn't going to play every game. There are some DH games. There will be double switches, there will be defensive substitutions for Santana. Pinch hit appearances. Lack of playing time won't be an issue with a Braun/Brinson/Phillips/Santana outfield IMO.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:23 PM Post
Thankfully, never have to see this again:

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:30 PM Post
I can't think of a rebuilding team that has traded a 24 year-old power hitter coming off a breakout year with four years of team control left. Aside from the usual "deal anyone if you get blown away" caveat, trading Santana seems very unwise to me. He's a cornerstone-type player. If his defense is intolerable, then think about moving him to 1b and moving Thames and/or Aguilar.

TPlush may be right about Broxton. (I just love Keon, so he's hard for me to be objective about.) Braun's going to be here, and he's going to be hurt a lot. Santana, Phillips, and Brinson should all be in the of rotation. Braun and Brinson have had a lot of injuries. Keep Keon around as the nominal fifth of, and he'll probably end up with the PT of a third/fourth of.

One of my few criticisms of Counsell is that he fell in love too much with Perez. I love having Perez around for his versatility, but he's a subpar hitter. Broxton wasn't much better, but I'd bet on his outhitting Hernan going forward. (Also, Perez shouldn't bat leadoff in a beer league. If there's such a thing as a prototypical #7 hitter, he's it.)

Garza bye woo-hoo!

Who knows with the bullpen guys. Torres certainly seems to have worn out his welcome. They may still see something in Drake, and that could be right. Nelson's injury may change some things. I would assume it's more urgent now to try Hader as a starter, which means Wang could have added appeal as a bullpen lefty. Wilkerson seems very likely to get a long look as a starter. He seems likely to be where Cravy was on the depth chart.

I think trading or cutting bait on Villar would be a bad idea, but I understand why a lot of people want him gone. He needs a reset, at least; if it works, he has a ton of value.

The catchers are interesting. Why was Susac so terrible this year? If the likeliest answer is something more nuanced than "he's just terrible," I'd keep him over Bandy. I'd like to think Susac will outplay Vogt, but maybe that train has left the station.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:37 PM Post
gregmag said:
I can't think of a rebuilding team that has traded a 24 year-old power hitter coming off a breakout year with four years of team control left. Aside from the usual "deal anyone if you get blown away" caveat, trading Santana seems very unwise to me. He's a cornerstone-type player. If his defense is intolerable, then think about moving him to 1b and moving Thames and/or Aguilar.

We just did that a few years ago with Davis. Same amount of control and he was a little older but it's almost the same situation as they each have deficiencies that would hurt other teams less than it hurts us. As for 1B, it was brought up in another thread that the Astros tried him there and it didn't work.

Speaking of Davis, in his 4 full big league seasons he's had batting averages of .244, .247, .247, and .247 in order.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:39 PM Post
Lathund said:
MrTPlush said:
Very on the fence about Keon Broxton. All this talk about OF depth, but who do you put as the 4th OFer? Do you really make Phillips or Brinson the 4th OFer where ABs will be a bit sporadic? I think there is a chance Keon Broxton stays as a 4th OFer. I think Jonathan Villar stays another year.

You donn't have to have a designated 4th OF.

No, you don't. However when all those guys are healthy someone is going to get the short end of the stick. Making Brinson/Phillips ride the bench for lengthy times or just not getting consistent playing time is questionable at best. Unless you instill a rotation between them where they all play consistently I wouldn't really want an inexperienced guy at #4.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:42 PM Post
Baldkin said:
Thankfully, never have to see this again:

your quiet snickering add's tons to the video [smile]

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 2:42 PM Post
Susac is the only catcher with an option left, so he has that going for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 3:30 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Honestly can anyone remember the last tim Braun was healthy for more than three days in a row?

Probably had a lot to do with why he was on Roids in the 1st Place. Incredible genetics for playing Baseball. Not so great genetics for durability.

Very ironic but after all those discussions as to who to sign long term, Fielder or Braun, the correct answer was "neither".

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 3:34 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Lathund said:
MrTPlush said:

No, you don't. However when all those guys are healthy someone is going to get the short end of the stick. Making Brinson/Phillips ride the bench for lengthy times or just not getting consistent playing time is questionable at best. Unless you instill a rotation between them where they all play consistently I wouldn't really want an inexperienced guy at #4.

Hence my whole suggestion of not having that 4th OF, not letting anyone ride the bench for lengthy stretches, and instead having that kind of rotation. Phillips is our only LH outfield bat, and can play excellent defense in all three spots, and to me Brinson has too high a ceiling to trade at this point. Neither has anything left to prove in AAA. It's easy to accomodate four "starters" in the outfield without hurting the development of any of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 3:43 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Lathund said:
MrTPlush said:

It's generally more common for the 4th outfielder to be filled by someone with significant mlb experience. That said, I think with our outfield it would be fairly easy to find atbats for guys as needed if we rolled with Braun/Santana/Brinson/Phillips. Braun will inevitably miss time, PH appearances, you can easily shave a start or two a week from Santana/Braun and not miss much(and probably keep him more fresh).

That said, I could also see them starting with Brinson in AAA to get him regular atbats and bring him up after a month or so. The problem would be the same, but at least he'd have a base of consistent atbats to go from before moving into a 3-4 start per week situation.

All this is of course assuming Broxton won't be around, which is absolutely not a fair assumption. It's amazing how many different directions Stearns can go with just our outfield decisions this offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 7:26 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
gregmag said:

We just did that a few years ago with Davis. Same amount of control and he was a little older but it's almost the same situation as they each have deficiencies that would hurt other teams less than it hurts us. As for 1B, it was brought up in another thread that the Astros tried him there and it didn't work.

Speaking of Davis, in his 4 full big league seasons he's had batting averages of .244, .247, .247, and .247 in order.

That's why I included his age in the point. 24 vs. 27 is a massive difference developmentally. On average, at least; maybe with these two players it turns out not to be. But many more 24 year-olds improve substantially than 27 year-olds.

The 1b thing . . . Maybe you're right and the Astros proved conclusively that he can't play 1b and there's no reason for our staff to revisit the question. If so, though, this seems harder for us than the norm. Other teams seem to take bad or aging ofs, stick them at 1b, and move on with life. We couldn't do that with Khris, people sometimes arge it wouldn't work with Braun, and now Santana. I thought any fool with a bat could play 1b. Why doesn't it work for us?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2017, 8:05 PM Post
I guess I don't see what the problem is with having Braun, Broxton, Santana, Phillips and Brinson as the team's five outfielders next season. With injuries there will likely be enough at-bats to go around. If they all stay healthy there probably will be at least one that won't hit and will get more time on the bench than the rest. I'd keep 'em all and be pretty happy with the group. Only thing that would make me change my mind is if a team gave up a pretty decent package for Braun (won't happen), and even then my motivation for moving him would be more for unloading his contract rather than just trying to create another outfield opening. With Cordell gone it appears that the next outfield prospects are still 1.5 to 2 seasons away from the majors so it's not like this group of five are blocking any top prospects.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2017, 10:07 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:
MrTPlush said:

Probably had a lot to do with why he was on Roids in the 1st Place. Incredible genetics for playing Baseball. Not so great genetics for durability.

Very ironic but after all those discussions as to who to sign long term, Fielder or Braun, the correct answer was "neither".

I hope management learns their lesson and forgoes those types of signings in the future. I have no problem paying a player a lot of money as long as the length of the contract is three or less years.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2017, 10:51 AM Post
Goodbye to Garza, Torres, Walker, Drake, Barnes, Peralta.

Walker wants to see what he can do in free agency. The rest are not good enough to be a Brewer anymore.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply