LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Year-end News Conference Notes

Offline  Re: Year-end News Conference Notes

Posted: October 05, 2017, 2:56 PM Post
While I would not mind if the Brewers made a FA acquisition to shore up their pitching this off-season, it might be wise to wait a year since next years FA pool promises to be fairly deep.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 9:44 PM Post
monty57 said:
superfly said:
I'd like to hear there will be an emphasis put on a STRONG bullpen if we aren't going to spend money on starting pitching. I don't want to see one, maybe 2 signings of O-K relievers that might be good, might be bad etc. There needs to be a lockdown guy and maybe more added, especially if Hader were to be moved into the rotation. This foolishness with relying on a bullpen full of guys like Barnes has to stop if we're going to be serious about winning.

You sound a bit upset about the way Stearns built a roster that just exceeded expectations by about 20 games on a very low payroll. There is little doubt that Attanasio will raise the payroll significantly. We still need to trust youth, but some of our holes will be filled with more expensive veterans, and I would not be surprised if the Brewers pull off a move that gets us a big name. I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't change the long-term plan of continually adding young, impact talent at all levels.

I guess if you consider being upset that our staff as currently constructed was flawed then yes. No i'm not sitting here stewing about every day, but it seems to me as an armchair GM that it's common sense that if you have a sketchy bunch of starters then it may be a good idea to make sure the back end is strong, or vice versa. And no, Brent Suter is not a viable starter in this league, same with Garza at this stage of his career.

We sat here debating Sonny Gray/Quintana, but in hindsight the better move may have been David Robertson. That dude is a gamer and the type of pitcher we need to lock down the back side.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 9:52 PM Post
Issue of trading for Robertson was the demand of taking another contract with him (Todd Frazier). It was a package deal in the eyes of the ChiSox..
There is also the matter of cost ... what prospects to send back. ChiSox wanted/ got Blake Rutherford in the return package plus other pieces.

Yes the Brewer system is much improved but the Yankee system is on par (or better depending on the source). Looking for equivalents, the Brewers would be sending Corey Ray (& I have written in many threads I am not a fan of Ray) plus other pieces.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply