LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers 2018 Payroll (as of 10/10/2017)

Offline  Re: Brewers 2018 Payroll (as of 10/10/2017)

Posted: October 11, 2017, 7:02 AM Post
Good stuff, Keith. Very well thought out. Thanks for the input.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2017, 7:47 AM Post
https://reviewingthebrew.com/2017/10/02 ... n-preview/

Here's an article about this kind of thing on page 5. A lot of his comments though, like the one about Nelson only in line for a fraction of what he would have made if he hadn't gotten hurt, make me think he really doesn't understand the arbitration process.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2017, 8:09 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:
I just find it kind of hilarious that the entire baseball world has advanced into the 21st century by now with the lone exception of arbitration panels who are still stuck in the 80s. It makes absolutely no logical sense and guys end up non-tendered at times because GMs these days are not stupid and they're not going to pay a player double his open market value just because an arbitration panel likes old school numbers.

That's exactly what happened with Chris Carter last year -- if the Brewers thought they could tender him at closer to his real market value at the time, 3M or so, good chance they would have. Unfortunately for Carter, David Stearns is not insane and thus isn't going to pay $8-$10M for a $3M asset just because he hit 41 HRs.

Potentially, the same thing could happen to Villar. I'm not saying he's worth significantly less than 3M, but if the Brewers believe that his 2016 steals count will overinflate his arbitration numbers too much for their liking, they might go a different direction.

There is zero chance that villar is non-tendered. It baffles me that the idea even found it's way to the table. I Don't think there's any circumstance in which we wouldn't tender him at this stage with the team control remaining, but especially given our payroll flexibility.

I doubt very much that Villar is non-tendered, but I wouldn't put the chances at 'zero". They may not want to go with him in 2018 as the 2B, and he's not a great fit as a utility player.

More likely, they'd look for a trade partner first, but I wouldn't expect much back.

I really don't think payroll flexibility has much to do with it either. Stearns is more concerned with value than price. It's not like we couldn't afford to pay Scooter Genett 2.5M back in March. (not to pull at that thread again). [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2017, 8:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm sure the payroll will be expanded substantially, but I hope that Stearns will still be smart with money. Melvin's goal seemed to be to find a way to spend the money allotted in the budget whether it helped the team or not. I'd rather look at it as an available resource that can be tapped if it makes sense.

I agree that there will be some extensions, but they won't really effect the payroll immediately (most of the committed money will be in future years), so there will be some additional vets on the 2018 roster acquired either by free agency or trade. I expect some relievers, maybe a 2B, and a starter acquired who are under control for 2-3 years.

I do think that if the right situation arises, we could go for the "home run" on a starting pitcher. I just hope that if we go for the "home run," this would not be a "Greinke-type" deal where we sell the farm for a guy with two years left. A free agent signing, or a trade for a younger guy with 4-5 years left would be more palatable. I think the more likely scenario will be that we sign a solid vet like Lynn to a 2-3 year deal or take on salary in a trade for a decent SP with 2-3 years left.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2017, 9:09 AM Post
I think one key thing to note is that other than extensions to the newest crop (Hader, Phillips, Brinson, maybe Arcia, etc.) which wouldn't kick any different money than we'd have already been paying them until like 2022 or 2023, the current crop of guys hitting arbitration are almost all not guys I expect to sign a second contract for the Brewers. If they do, it's probably as a cheaper player that didn't completely pan out. Maybe Santana.

Shaw will be 32, Anderson will be 33, Davies will be 30 but seems like a guy somebody will outbid us for, Santana to me seems like a guy that may plateau soon, Knebel is a complete wild card, Nelson obviously we don't know if he'll ever be the same. Villar is a massive wild card that may not even be around next year.

Those guys are all 3-4 years out from free agency, but I'm not sure if any of them factor into our plans after their rookie/arbitration times are up.

I think that somewhat plays into the aggressiveness of the front office. They may want to spend up on a few bigger $ guys because we won't need to keep internal FAs for 5+ years in all likelihood.

Sure, maybe they bring back Shaw because for whatever reason, 3B is the one spot that still remains empty in 4 years, but I think the plan is just to backfill with a deep farm system in general. Don't make many major trades (unless an absolute ace is available and controllable) and use free agency to improve.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2017, 11:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
I agree bill hAll Star.

A lot of the "older" guys will be helpful for a few more years, and then be good trade bait as they head into their final year(s) of team control. I like signing extensions to guys in their pre-arby years that buy out a couple of years of the player's prime. Arcia should get offered an extension, Hader probably should but the earlier poster who mentioned it may be tough because of the question of whether he's a SP or RP had a good point. Santana would be a good guy to offer an extension to if he is part of your future plans. I don't see a lot of value in offering extensions to guys who are already into their arby years, as you are essentially paying market (free agent) prices at that point so you don't get paid for assuming most of the risk. Nelson may have been an exception to that, as it's hard to outbid everyone for a good SP when they hit free agency, but his injury puts the kibosh on offering him an extension until we know how he'll pitch when he returns.

As to the Villar/Perez discussion, I think at least one of them is traded, and it will probably be Perez. You know what you have in Perez, so it's easier to figure out a trade value for him, while Villar could greatly increase his value if he has any kind of a bounceback next year. I think we need to get some guys in the lineup who make better contact. We won't be able to make huge strides in that direction all at once, but getting a "professional hitter" as a utility guy instead of Perez will be one step in that direction.

Going off the list from the initial post, and assuming that some guys like Torres and Perez will probably be gone, that gives us probably $50M or so in free cash that could potentially be spent. I am very interested to see how Stearns plays this. We will almost assuredly spend on a couple of good bullpen arms, we will probably address second base, and we will likely acquire a starting pitcher. The big question to me is whether the starting pitcher will slot in around #3 or if we will shoot for a guy who could be our #1.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers 2018 Payroll (as of 10/10/2017)

Posted: October 11, 2017, 12:45 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
I think one key thing to note is that other than extensions to the newest crop (Hader, Phillips, Brinson, maybe Arcia, etc.) which wouldn't kick any different money than we'd have already been paying them until like 2022 or 2023, the current crop of guys hitting arbitration are almost all not guys I expect to sign a second contract for the Brewers. If they do, it's probably as a cheaper player that didn't completely pan out. Maybe Santana.

Shaw will be 32, Anderson will be 33, Davies will be 30 but seems like a guy somebody will outbid us for, Santana to me seems like a guy that may plateau soon, Knebel is a complete wild card, Nelson obviously we don't know if he'll ever be the same. Villar is a massive wild card that may not even be around next year.

Those guys are all 3-4 years out from free agency, but I'm not sure if any of them factor into our plans after their rookie/arbitration times are up.

I think that somewhat plays into the aggressiveness of the front office. They may want to spend up on a few bigger $ guys because we won't need to keep internal FAs for 5+ years in all likelihood.

Sure, maybe they bring back Shaw because for whatever reason, 3B is the one spot that still remains empty in 4 years, but I think the plan is just to backfill with a deep farm system in general. Don't make many major trades (unless an absolute ace is available and controllable) and use free agency to improve.

I tend to agree with you on this as well for the most part. I could absolutely see us making a play for a high $ player, whether via trade or FA. I fully believe Stearns targets high-end pitching this offseason on all fronts, especially guys that wouldn't be under contract more than 3 or 4 years. I think under the helm of Melvin, Santana/Shaw would be looking at an extensions right now. I don't think that's going to happen with Stearns.

And with all that said, it's still important to be generally responsible with how we spend this offseason. Arbitration bumps will slowly increase salary, and spending now even on 3-4 year deals impacts our flexibility over the next couple off seasons. I'm very excited to see what Stearns has in store.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2017, 6:09 AM Post
The most interesting question imbedded in this topic is how much do we think they'll raise the payroll next year (and the years to come.). There are levells of certainty with some existing players that allow us to get to a general budget for 2018 butt I can see the front office deciding to go the rout of bringing in some key players they believe have us in playoff contention. Are they ready to drop 30 miliion on the gambit? 10 million? 20 million? That's the biggest question mark in my mind.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply