LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Would you rather have 2 Wild Card Appearances or 1 Division Title?

Offline  Re: Would you rather have 2 Wild Card Appearances or 1 Division Title?

Posted: October 12, 2017, 9:38 AM Post
I don't even consider making the wild card to be making the playoffs. It is a gimmick to increase fan interest, but it is really a play-in game to then get into the playoffs. In my opinion the Twins and Rockies did not make the playoffs this year.

So I chose division title

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2017, 9:40 AM Post
I'd rather have two wild cards. Two chances at making a run vs one.

Winning a division title is nice, but at the end of the day all it really guarantees you is a spot in the post-season. Legacy's are judged by the number of pennants and world championships a franchise has, and to date, the best this franchise has been able to hang it's hat on is a second place finish 35 years ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2017, 9:54 AM Post
Outlander said:
Two wild cards, the more shots at a World Series the better. Will take two shots at winning 12 games vs one shot at winning 11. Sure it would stink to end up like the Pirates but that is the risk I would be willing to make.

That sums it up for me as well. Two chances at a WS run is better than one. Sure you could lose the 1 WC game right away, but you could just as easily be a quick out in the one series as division winner.

I don't think I could name all of the division winners over the past couple years. Winning the division doesn't matter either, no one remembers what a team did unless they make the WS. 2 WC's gets you 2 shots, 1 division title gets you 1 shot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2017, 2:55 PM Post
buckybrewer232 said:
Outlander said:
Two wild cards, the more shots at a World Series the better. Will take two shots at winning 12 games vs one shot at winning 11. Sure it would stink to end up like the Pirates but that is the risk I would be willing to make.

That sums it up for me as well. Two chances at a WS run is better than one. Sure you could lose the 1 WC game right away, but you could just as easily be a quick out in the one series as division winner.

I don't think I could name all of the division winners over the past couple years. Winning the division doesn't matter either, no one remembers what a team did unless they make the WS. 2 WC's gets you 2 shots, 1 division title gets you 1 shot.

An interesting thought. It's always good to know that you're the best at what you do (ie division champions), however with things being watered down with six vs four divisions and five vs seven teams, a division championship doesn't seem to have that same value it used to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2017, 4:15 PM Post
MLB is the only league where winning a division is considered anything special. Do the Packers have banners for all the division titles they've won? I don't know, but I don't think so. Getting to the playoffs is all that matters in every sport. I'll agree with those who don't think that making the Wild Card game is considered making the playoffs but it has direct playoff implications in that winning it advances you closer to a championship. I find it really interesting that so many people are choosing 1 division title over 2 wild card games. 2 wild card games doubles your chances of winning a World Series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2017, 6:24 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
MLB is the only league where winning a division is considered anything special.

Comparing the Brewers to the Packers is silly. The Packers have 14 World Championships and a 100 year old stadium.

Other ultra successful teams hang banners for division titles.

Or even dumber things:

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2017, 6:35 PM Post
The Patriots hang a banner for their 16-0 season? That's...kind of surprising. Yeah it was a heck of an accomplishment but I wouldn't think they would want to hang an obvious reminder of how it ended.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2017, 8:22 AM Post
Definitely the division title. The Wild Card games are a joke and were only put there to placate low-budget teams so that owners could say "See, now low-budget teams are making the playoffs. We don't need more revenue sharing."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 16, 2017, 5:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
Hanging either WC or Division Title flag without the WS flag just shows you ended a loser. The playoffs are fun, but if you can't stand at the top at the end, its "maybe next year".

So to answer the question, the distinction between the two is a moot point.

The question wasn't about hanging Wild Card or Division flags. It was about what was best for the Brewers. I guess I should have been more clear about that. I assumed people would understand that the goal is to always win a World Series. And in my mind, that was what I was asking about.

So, to rephrase the question, what's the best thing for Milwaukee to win the WS - make the playoffs via two WC runs or one divisional title?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 17, 2017, 12:57 AM Post
The MLB playoffs are moreso about being hot at the right time than being the better team. That is true to some extent in other sports but moreso in MLB. Also, with the differences in scheduling and managerial strategy for the playoffs compared to the regular season, it really changes the dynamic, and a team built for a great regular season record is not necessarily built for a great playoff run. Therefore, I have to go with the two wild cards and hope that one of those playoff appearances turns into something special.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 17, 2017, 10:24 PM Post
I'll take the two wild cards... simply because it's two chances to get hot, not just one.

Then again... why not have both? :D

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply