LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Lead Off Hitter

Offline  Re: Lead Off Hitter

Posted: January 05, 2018, 12:22 PM Post
I think the lead off hitter is much more important in the National League. It seems like there are a lot of opportunities where the pitcher bunts someone into scoring position with two outs. I would put the best/2nd best hitter there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 12:29 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Lathund said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I would assume Villar will be given first crack at it if he wins the 2B job. He was quite dynamic in that role in 2016. Otherwise, Sogard would likely be the guy if he wins the 2B job. If not those two, I imagine either Phillips or Brinson will be the guy, assuming that Broxton is dealt. While not ideal, Arcia also has the speed and on-base ability to be a top-of-the-order table setter. Of course, that ability hasn't been totally realized yet. I think any of those is a better option than Thames or Santana in the lead-off spot. Those guys are run producers, and need to be stationed lower in the line-up.

Arcia might turn into a good leadoff hitter at some point, but I've never understood the clamour during the season and offseason from some to have him leadoff. .324 OBP and 14(/21) SB doesn't exactly scream ideal leadoff hitter to me. Nor does the 89 OPS+. The leadoff hitter gets the most plate appearances, something like 120+ more than the #8 hitter over the course of the season. It should be one of your best hitters leading off. If not that, then OBP should be the priority above all else; it's the only time during a game where you know for sure the batting order in an innning, and know for sure who's leading off. Make the most of that by having him get on base.

Anyway, I agree that Villar/Sogard will get the first crack at it. 2016 Villar and 2017 Sogard are both good leadoff options, but the other iterations of them aren't so let's see which one we get.

Villar started one game at 2B in September and that was the finale that was meaningless. Walker started 14, Perez started 7, and Sogard started 6. Villar has an uphill battle just making the team even if Walker doesn't return because a Sogard/Perez platoon isn't a bad option. Sogard or Walker leads off vs. RHP. Against LHP, whoever is in CF, likely either Brinson or Cain will lead off.

Yes, that is quite a terrible option, actually.

If no one is signed to play 2b going forward we're going to have to hope that

A. Villar reverts to 2016 form.
B. Perez doesn't suck
C. Sogard continues to overperform

I don't like any of those options, but I'd definitely pick A for a few weeks at least.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 3:31 PM Post
Man I wouldnt mind trying O at lead off...

Arcia (R)
Villar (S)
Braun (R)
Shaw (L)
Santana (R)
Thames (L)
Pina (R)
Phillips (L)

Great balance throughout the lineup.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 8:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Arcia (324 OBP) and Villar (293 OBP) weren't #1 nor #2 material last year. Those BA positions should have an OBP north of 350 at least.

Of the players we have on the roster, Phillips and Thames had good OBPs last year. Walker would be a good choice too if we resign him. Sogard did great, but I hesitate to rely on him reproducing it, but some players just click in certain situations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 8:53 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Man I wouldnt mind trying O at lead off...

Arcia (R)
Villar (S)
Braun (R)
Shaw (L)
Santana (R)
Thames (L)
Pina (R)
Phillips (L)

Great balance throughout the lineup.

Nothing about Orlando's major or minor league numbers says he should be near the top of any order.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply