LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Financial state of baseball: New Quotes from Brewerfan Agent39

Offline  Re: Financial state of baseball: New Quotes from Brewerfan Agent39
Posted: February 14, 2018, 6:10 PM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:
It’s pretty wild we call millionares underpaid.

It's even wilder that we defend the pocketbooks of billionaires over the millionaires (and tons of guys playing for league minimum) who actually perform on the field for us.

There is an age-old wisdom - "You don't make or lose money on anything until you sell it."

Many of them are "paper billionaires" - their value is based on stock that they own or perceived value of the franchise, not how much cash they have in the bank. Ask people (especially in Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Florida) what their house was worth in 2006... then ask them what it was worth in 2009. Ask me what my tech stocks were worth in 2000... and then in 2002. These things can change quickly.

Many of them (or the teams they own) take on huge loans to finance the construction of the stadiums. They have principle and interest to pay from the profits their teams generate. Yes, the teams are profitable... but stadiums are expensive to build and maintain. That has to be taken into consideration too.

The one thing they all have in common is that they all got to where they are by being very shrewd businesspeople. That will never go away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 14, 2018, 7:18 PM Post
If people are more into the "sharing" side of things, I'd be WAY more into the Brewers and Twins combining organizations and flipping back and forth every other year as the Varsity "home" team, making the the other city the JVA team (as opposed to the AAA squad(s) being JVB and JVC teams).

Multiple World Series Championships for both the Twins and the Brewers, I'm telling ya.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 14, 2018, 7:40 PM Post
Does anyone know if there are published figures of teams' revenues and expenses? If not are there estimates out there? I would really like to see what sort of expenses teams have beyond personnel costs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 14, 2018, 8:42 PM Post
JCREW said:
Does anyone know if there are published figures of teams' revenues and expenses? If not are there estimates out there? I would really like to see what sort of expenses teams have beyond personnel costs.

Teams are privately held and don't require published financials. Forbes has made estimates of team revenues, I've also seen that player salaries have steadily averaged 56% across all teams. I doubt anyone has any specific numbers on other expenses though. I for one would be extremely interested in seeing what team financials look like.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 14, 2018, 11:01 PM Post
MadScientist said:

Market size may have started the problem, but your 'solutions' simply won't do anything to solve the money problem. There's no clamoring for new franchises in those areas. Adding teams in the market area won't change fan's favorite team, it won't change how many people watch their games. If you try to prevent people from watching the team they want to watch, you are more likely to convince people to give up on baseball. A solution has to take into account the realities of people, not some abstract statistics.

Ignoring the statistics of demographics and just talking about the "realities of people", what is stopping small market teams from "sharing" with each other in order to combat the inherent advantages that large markets wield?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2018, 8:35 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
JCREW said:

Teams are privately held and don't require published financials. Forbes has made estimates of team revenues, I've also seen that player salaries have steadily averaged 56% across all teams. I doubt anyone has any specific numbers on other expenses though. I for one would be extremely interested in seeing what team financials look like.

Right. I'm aware they are privately held. I was just wondering if anything ever got shared during the last CBA negotiations or something like that. I suppose it would be pretty counter-intuitive for a team to let anyone see how much money they were withholding from the players or extorting from the fans.
(Italicized is half sarcastic)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2018, 12:38 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
JCREW said:

This seems to be a lot of the problem when it comes to collective bargaining in most businesses. I've always been suspicious of claims of poverty when they refuse to opens their books during negotiations. If they really weren't making much money one would think they'd be the ones who want to open them books.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2018, 12:47 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
KeithStone53151 said:
JCREW said:

This seems to be a lot of the problem when it comes to collective bargaining in most businesses. I've always been suspicious of claims of poverty when they refuse to opens their books during negotiations. If they really weren't making much money one would think they'd be the ones who want to open them books.

I wouldn't be overly surprised for clubs to open the books to specific PA people to prove their point(unless of course they are raking in dough in which case they won't show it)...but no way will the general public ever get their hands on baseball team financials.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2018, 11:24 AM Post
Saw this quote from C.C. Sabathia in an article in The Atlantic (https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ource=feed). Total Captain Obvious moment. Can't believe it was ever any other way.

“When I was a free agent,” the 37-year-old said of the first time he hit the market, “you got paid for what you did. Now, guys are getting paid for what they can do throughout their contract … [General managers] are getting younger and smarter, and want to get more value out of a player.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2018, 9:24 AM Post
When do arby contracts become guaranteed? This week (I have a vague recollection its so many weeks before opening day)?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is collusion going on.... Agents are holding off signings until after teams are locked into all their arby contracts... Conspiracy Theory? sure, but its the only real FU that they can do to the owners right now by forcing them to spend money they might have saved by releasing a player instead of paying the arby amount...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2018, 11:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
Good look at the financial state of baseball by Ben Lindbergh over at The Ringer. Makes it sound like players' share of revenues have actually kept pace with the increased revenue...

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/2/21 ... ob-manfred

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2018, 12:37 PM Post
The MLBPA needs to get somebody to port "The Show" to the XBox platform. There will be a lot of sales which means a bigger chunk of change... [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2018, 12:49 PM Post
The Show is developed by a Sony development studio, which is why it's been PlayStation exclusive since the beginning.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2018, 1:27 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
The MLBPA needs to get somebody to port "The Show" to the XBox platform. There will be a lot of sales which means a bigger chunk of change... [wink]

Sounds to me like you need to get yourself a ps4... [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2018, 9:56 AM Post
MLBPA Files Grievance Against Four Teams Over Revenue Sharing Funds

The Major League Baseball Player’s Association has initiated a grievance proceeding against the Athletics, Marlins, Pirates, and Rays regarding those teams’ spending of revenue sharing dollars, according to a report from Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

This general issue has been percolating for some time, even as additional concerns have arisen as to the pace of free-agent signings over the 2017-18 offseason. The MLBPA reportedly engaged with the league office over the Miami and Pittsburgh organizations’ spending earlier this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2018, 10:40 AM Post
Looking at the payroll tracker at Cot's, they have the following for 2018:

A's = 58.1 million (down from an average of 84.1 million from 2015-2017)
Marlins = 89.8 million (up from an average of 86.2 million from 2015-2017)
Pirates = 85.5 million (down from an average of 95.3 million from 2015-2017)
Rays = 77.0 million (up from an average of 70.9 million from 2015-2017)

Interesting they picked four teams and two of the four teams have a projected 2018 payroll that will be higher than the team's average payroll over the three previous seasons.

They should have filed a grievance against Milwaukee in 2016 as the Brewers had a 63.9 million dollar payroll that season after having run an average payroll of 98.9 million from 2013-2015. Math shows that cut was worse than any of the four teams just named.

But obviously this comes now only because players are upset that Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb and Moustakas are still unemployed. But instead of going after the big dog teams that can afford these 80+ million dollar contracts (or 200 million in Arrieta's case), they instead will go after the A's because apparently Oakland was such a likely candidate for Arrieta and his 200 million dollar demand.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2018, 11:20 AM Post
The MLBPA leadership is quickly turning into a joke. And will look like even more of a joke after next offseason when the $100M+ contracts are flying left and right.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2018, 11:59 AM Post
It is clear the system needs to change a bit. I think players in year 2-6 of their careers need to get a significant raise. Yes I know this will ultimately hurt teams like the Brewers but they could raise it 25% without a ton of damage.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2018, 1:27 PM Post
Agree. Raising salaries by 10-25% during arbitration years seems to be the most logical thing here. It makes the most sense to be the change that accomplishes the players goal(s) and not doing anything drastic like making FA come sooner (would hurt small markets most), going to hard caps/floors, etc. Maybe also add in that even though arbitration to players is going up 10-25% in real money only 80% (or some portion) of the salary of arbitration players counts towards the LT. Give teams a break/incentive for homegrown guys and a reason to pay them through arbitration.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 01, 2018, 1:42 PM Post
no, increasing during arbitration wont change anything, it'll just increase what they expect once they his FA. a solution would be reducing the number of years of arbitration and getting FA earlier in the players career.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply