LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 174 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen

Offline  Re: Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen
Posted: July 31, 2018, 11:21 PM Post
sveumrules said:
Miley now sitting on a 1.53 ERA through his first 29 innings with the Crew.

Thought it might be interesting to revisit this thread for some initial reactions. Personal favorites...

Wade Miley is far from insurance, he is a bum that truly serves no purpose. None.

4 of our starters would literally need TJS in March for Miley to ever see our MLB roster.

Amazing that guys like this, year in and year out, absolutely suck but continue to make millions of dollars. Why in the hell would you pitch this bum every five days and not some young buck that might actually have a future? I just never understand this horse poop.

Gross. I remember seeing him pitch against the Brewers last year and thinking 'Wow, this guy is awful.'

I agree with Joey, there's no way he should be cracking this rotation even as is. I'd much rather see Suter or even Yo as the 5 starter.

Heck go ahead and add Wilkerson and Bubba Derby to that list.

Ugh, hopefully he's just a deep depth signing. I don't want to see him anywhere close to the ML rotation.

These have to be from that same bunch of posters who always seem to have a problem with any move the team makes. I love that Stearns and his staff always seem to find these diamonds in the rough on the cheap, and are able to squeeze the most out of them that they can. They absolutely know what they are doing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2018, 11:22 PM Post
Obviously with the Rangers chipping in $ and Hamels' contract being prorated the Cubs aren't paying the full amount...but it's still fun to compare the cost of rotation options #1-7ish for both teams:

Cubs - Lester, Darvish, Chatwood, Quintana, Hendricks, Montgomery, Hamels - approximately $101.1 Million for 2018

Brewers - Anderson, Chacin, Guerra, Peralta, Miley, Davies, Suter - approximately $17.7 Million for 2018.

2018 Team starting ERA prior to tonight's game - Cubs 4.14, Brewers 3.85
2018 Team starting IP/game - Cubs 5.36, Brewers 5.30
2018 Team starters Ks - Cubs 476, Brewers 500

LOL!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 2:08 AM Post
cesser000 said:
These have to be from that same bunch of posters who always seem to have a problem with any move the team makes. I love that Stearns and his staff always seem to find these diamonds in the rough on the cheap, and are able to squeeze the most out of them that they can. They absolutely know what they are doing.

Wade was great tonight, but prior to this game, he had walked 13 batters in only 22 innings. Walks were why Baltimore waived him.

Hopefully he can limit his walks going forward because more than anything else, that will determine his success or failure. He has stuff to get hitters out, but can't hand out to many free passes and succeed. Eventually those baserunners start crossing the plate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 3:26 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Obviously with the Rangers chipping in $ and Hamels' contract being prorated the Cubs aren't paying the full amount...but it's still fun to compare the cost of rotation options #1-7ish for both teams:

Cubs - Lester, Darvish, Chatwood, Quintana, Hendricks, Montgomery, Hamels - approximately $101.1 Million for 2018

Brewers - Anderson, Chacin, Guerra, Peralta, Miley, Davies, Suter - approximately $17.7 Million for 2018.

2018 Team starting ERA prior to tonight's game - Cubs 4.14, Brewers 3.85
2018 Team starting IP/game - Cubs 5.36, Brewers 5.30
2018 Team starters Ks - Cubs 476, Brewers 500

LOL!

That is beautiful. Especially when the Cubs have really just had the one injury to Darvish all year. The rest of the starters have been very healthy for the most part. I am not sure who outside of Darvish has even missed a start! The Brewers have had Nelson out for the year. Davies missing most of the season. Suter now out for the year. Miley missed significant time Anderson missed time. Guerra missed time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 3:38 AM Post
He definitely has been greet this year but probably not sustainable. He's had quite a bit of luck. BABIP is .235. - His career is .312. He also has not given up any HRs and only three 2B for a .235 SLG against. Its hard to believe that he can sustain that. His walk rate has been horrible the last two years. Historically he has been under 3 per 9 innings. So if he can get his walk rate back to career norms that will help offset some of his regression to means.

While I am hopeful that Johnson made a tweak to improve something, I think the more he pitches the less we will like the results.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:06 AM Post
cesser000 said:
sveumrules said:
Miley now sitting on a 1.53 ERA through his first 29 innings with the Crew.

Thought it might be interesting to revisit this thread for some initial reactions. Personal favorites...

Wade Miley is far from insurance, he is a bum that truly serves no purpose. None.

4 of our starters would literally need TJS in March for Miley to ever see our MLB roster.

Amazing that guys like this, year in and year out, absolutely suck but continue to make millions of dollars. Why in the hell would you pitch this bum every five days and not some young buck that might actually have a future? I just never understand this horse poop.

Gross. I remember seeing him pitch against the Brewers last year and thinking 'Wow, this guy is awful.'

I agree with Joey, there's no way he should be cracking this rotation even as is. I'd much rather see Suter or even Yo as the 5 starter.

Heck go ahead and add Wilkerson and Bubba Derby to that list.

Ugh, hopefully he's just a deep depth signing. I don't want to see him anywhere close to the ML rotation.

Some of those are from me, and I am by no means a Stearns hater. But I hated the Miley move at the time, and I'll own it. I also hated the roster construction with too many 1B types early on, and not trading Santana, and for the most part that has worked out. It can be argued that he should have traded Santana, but then you start arguing about hypotheticals.

Right now the overachieving pitching has masked over the many offensive performers that have regressed this year. Can that continue? We'll see.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:08 AM Post
I don’t know if it is sustainable, but Miley’s stuff looked electric last night. He carved up a very solid Dodgers lineup and made it look easy. Maybe Stearns knows something we don’t by not adding a SP at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
His breaking ball was fantastic. Control will always be the question regarding him, but he's truly looked great for us since coming back.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:19 AM Post
cesser000 said:

Lots of people hated the fact that they retained Sogard, Drake, and Perez and acquired Logan. Were those people expected to remain quiet because some other posters didn't like guys who turned out to be great bargains? I love the front office but they're far from 100% right. People here have a right to try to out-guess them and that's part of the fun. If we had somehow run a simulation to compare our moves to theirs over the last 2 years, of course we'd all be destroyed by their track record, but it's still interesting to have our own ideas and see how they hold up.

There are lots of people posting here. They're never going to have a unified voice, nor should they, so don't ascribe one to them. Everyone has a right to an opinion about a player. For every move, there are going to be some people who don't like it, but it's generally not the same people over and over again. As long as people have evidence for what they are saying, you should be fine with people having strong opinions even if they turn out to be wrong.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:22 AM Post
It's only a small number of innings, but:

Miley went from throwing his fastball 65-70% of the time early in his career, 55% of the time the with the O's/Red Sox to now 31% of the time with the Brewers.

He seems to have added a cutter and varies his pitches more. Something to keep an eye on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:31 AM Post
Cutters ate up righties, and I was surprised to see he was throwing low 90's with the fastball. I had assumed he was more a high 80's guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:34 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Cutters ate up righties, and I was surprised to see he was throwing low 90's with the fastball. I had assumed he was more a high 80's guy.

I saw a couple crack the mitt at 95. His stuff has surprised me as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think Cesser is just having s little fun. He’s making fun of himself too, so I don’t think it’s anything to be upset about. Obviously everyone has their own opinion and that’s what’s fun about this site. It’s also fun to get a little ribbing here and there. If you make a bold statement and you end up wrong, it’s ok to have to eat some crow here and there. All that said, he still has several starts left and really need him to keep pitching well. I’m pessimistic, but watching him last night was great. Hope he can do that again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:06 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
It's only a small number of innings, but:

Miley went from throwing his fastball 65-70% of the time early in his career, 55% of the time the with the O's/Red Sox to now 31% of the time with the Brewers.

He seems to have added a cutter and varies his pitches more. Something to keep an eye on.

One more thing - I don't know if he's always been like this, but he is also working with Suter-like quickness. Maybe he learned from Suter that working quickly helps keep hitters off-balance.

I get the feeling that Johnson likes the cutter - Miley, Suter, Anderson have all been throwing it fairly effectively. It's been very sharp, as has been his curveball. He's also been throwing high fastball and then dropping the curve down, a bit like a LH Ben Sheets.

Maybe it will sustain, maybe it won't, but as long as it's working... roll with it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 174 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply