LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 174 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen

Offline  Re: Wade Miley Signs Minor League Deal

Posted: February 15, 2018, 8:25 AM Post
I figured seeing what BF.net had to say could convince me this wasn't a totally crappy and pointless signing even for a minor league deal but nope, you've only reaffirmed my beliefs. You can say minor league depth all you want but Miley would not have signed here unless he had very good reason to believe he would make the roster out of camp.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 8:51 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I figured seeing what BF.net had to say could convince me this wasn't a totally crappy and pointless signing even for a minor league deal but nope, you've only reaffirmed my beliefs. You can say minor league depth all you want but Miley would not have signed here unless he had very good reason to believe he would make the roster out of camp.

Or he just didn't have any other offers, and he saw that the Brewers have a starting pitching need, so he figured this was his best opportunity. I highly, highly doubt the team's brass promised him anything. In fact, seeing that Gallardo signed an actual ML deal, I'd say that as of now, he has a better shot of breaking camp with the team than Miley does.

The fact is, the team needs pitchers willing to get pummeled at Colorado Springs, and Miley wants to collect a paycheck. I still don't have a doubt that they will acquire another higher-end starting pitcher. It doesn't hurt to have several veteran arms in the organization in case there is a rash of injuries.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:00 AM Post
Let's remember how Milone pitched in spring training and took a roster spot, look for Miley to do the same.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:04 AM Post
dacbrewers said:
Let's remember how Milone pitched in spring training and took a roster spot, look for Miley to do the same.

Nope, I refuse to believe this will happen.

... but I will be very discouraged if/when it does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:09 AM Post
dacbrewers said:

I figured Gallardo for the "Milone 25 Man Spot" (that someone without a guaranteed contract has to come out of the blue to earn a 25 man spot that shouldn't)

There's no way that both can split the award, can they?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:19 AM Post
This is the same as if the Bucks traded for Darko Millicic. Irrelevant signing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 10:02 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

Nobody was offering Miley a major league deal and it's doubtful any team would be see him as anything other than 7th or 8th in their rotation. I'm sure there's a June 1st or thereabouts opt out if he's still in the minors. My guess is it came down to dollars. Brewers likely offered more if he made the team and more if he didn't. The move makes sense if Brewers want to protect guys like Burnes, Peralta, and Perrin from pitching in Colorado Springs. That also explains the recent signing of Burgos.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 10:15 AM Post
Nothing to see here folks. He'll be spending his time in Colorado this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 10:29 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

This is a nothing deal like a NFL deal where it looks better on paper than in reality. Probably more for his agents PR but regardless it's a camp fodder signing.

The Brewers did not spend $80M and give up 5 prospects on positions they didn't need so they could fill their rotation with a guy with a 1.72 WHIP.

4 of our starters would literally need TJS in March for Miley to ever see our MLB roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 11:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what Miley thinks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 12:47 PM Post
Every year the Brewers bring some crap veteran from Arizona and play him way too much. They've got too many of those options this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 1:03 PM Post
This could also be a sign that we're going to see more of the starting prospects staying in Biloxi rather than exposing the to CS but still wanted decent pitchers just to make their record more attractive when seeking a new affiliate.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Wade Miley Signs Minor League Deal

Posted: February 15, 2018, 6:49 PM Post
My teenage Brewers fanatic son practically broke his bedroom door slamming it in anger when I told him that the Brewers signed Wade Miley and Nick Franklin.... "Why???!!!", he yelled....

After I got done laughing I explained that they are likely just MiLB filler, to which he said "Nate Orf is way better than Franklin". Smart kid...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 7:00 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
This could also be a sign that we're going to see more of the starting prospects staying in Biloxi rather than exposing the to CS but still wanted decent pitchers just to make their record more attractive when seeking a new affiliate.

That's my hope. We can put all the in case of emergency guys in CS and jump the rest from AA to august call up if we wish.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 8:26 PM Post
MVP2110 said:
No it's not. But why would Miley agree to this contract with heavy incentives regarding IP & GS if he didnt think he had a real chance to pitch and pitch quite a bit for Milwaukee.

Because it's February 15th?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:28 PM Post
LouisEly said:
MVP2110 said:
No it's not. But why would Miley agree to this contract with heavy incentives regarding IP & GS if he didnt think he had a real chance to pitch and pitch quite a bit for Milwaukee.

Why would the Brewers offer it though? This late in the offseason, the teams should have all the negotiating power, especially with the bottom barrel free agents. All the incentives are what makes me think Stearns anticipates Miley coming north and hanging around for awhile.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 9:36 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
LouisEly said:
MVP2110 said:

Why would the Brewers offer it though? This late in the offseason, the teams should have all the negotiating power, especially with the bottom barrel free agents. All the incentives are what makes me think Stearns anticipates Miley coming north and hanging around for awhile.

I think it's just the opposite. Stearns offered all the incentives knowing Miley likely wouldn't be in the Brewers' rotation, but would give them a veteran at Colorado Springs in case of injury. He's cheap insurance in AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2018, 4:41 PM Post
Twins just signed Anibal Sanchez to a 2.5 Million dollar major league deal. Does that mean they're out on the SP market just like the brewers after signing Miley [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2018, 5:39 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
He's cheap insurance in AAA.

Why do people say that guys like Miley are insurance? Insurance for what? It would have to be an absolute catastrophe for him to appear in a Brewers uniform this season, and we have plenty of guys that deserve a shot before he does.

Insurance to me is when you have a guy like Sogard to back up Villar if/when he falters.

Wade Miley is far from insurance, he is a bum that truly serves no purpose. None.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2018, 6:42 PM Post
Got to love his quote...

I walked a sh/t ton of batters last year

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 174 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply