LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Limit on mound visits per 9 inning game without prompting a pitching change...

Offline  Re: Limit on mound visits per 9 inning game without prompting a pitching change...

Posted: February 19, 2018, 2:05 PM Post
chuckiehacks said:
This whole focus on time of game is dumb. Baseball games are already shorter than NFL or NCAA football games, and shaving a couple minutes off a 3 hour event isn't significant.

If baseball really wanted to shorten games, they'd reduce the time spent in between innings. But god forbid anyone should lose advertising revenue.

I agree, but I think the real issue is the time between pitches. This is easy to fix since a rule already exists that simply needs to be enforced, no stepping out of the box if you did not swing.
I don't mind the inning breaks, go get another beer etc.
I think the pitching change breaks are much worse, usually they interrupt exciting innings. Just make a rule you get 2 warm-up pitches on the game mound, just enough to introduce the pitcher and then get back at it. No commercial break.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Limit on mound visits per 9 inning game without prompting a pitching change...

Posted: February 19, 2018, 2:06 PM Post
chuckiehacks said:
This whole focus on time of game is dumb. Baseball games are already shorter than NFL or NCAA football games, and shaving a couple minutes off a 3 hour event isn't significant.

If baseball really wanted to shorten games, they'd reduce the time spent in between innings. But god forbid anyone should lose advertising revenue.

Thank you! That is exactly what I have said for years! Reduce the 20 or so commercial breaks throughout the game and don’t take 5 minutes to do a replay review. If you can’t see a way to change it after a few different camera views, play on!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 2:39 PM Post
I am in no way taking credit away from the players. There are always mental lapses throughout the season whether a player thinks there are 2 outs instead of one, 3 balls instead of 2, or forgetting there was a runner on first and not turning a double play. Those meetings are just to make sure everybody knows the situation and to make sure it is executed properly. Especially if it is late in the game.

so when players hold up 1 or 2 fingers for how many outs there are after a play, the umpire gives the count after each pitch/50 scoreboards across the field have it available for 40,000 fans to see, and players get ~30 seconds between each pitch to survey who's on what base, they still need someone to call timeout and tell them all that stuff again? That seems like taking credit away from the players...

commercial breaks happen between innings breaks or pitching changes - they're supposed to last exactly as long as the inning breaks take. Discussing shortening those breaks is something that could happen too - I for one have been a proponent of setting up something like staying with the game broadcast from the 7th inning stretch on, and having non-stop coverage be provided by 1 or a group of advertisers - similar to what they already do near the end of some playoff games. There seems to be most of the pitching changes happening then, and staying with the broadcast or having ads run on a split screen would probably allow mlb to shorten those breaks without impacting revenue or the quality of play.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Limit on mound visits per 9 inning game without prompting a pitching change...

Posted: February 19, 2018, 2:46 PM Post
RollieTime said:
chuckiehacks said:

Thank you! That is exactly what I have said for years! Reduce the 20 or so commercial breaks throughout the game and don’t take 5 minutes to do a replay review. If you can’t see a way to change it after a few different camera views, play on!

That's absolutely not true, and football games aren't increasing at rates like baseball games...and signs point to it getting worse and worse. Plus, all other sports have a limit to how many "timeouts" you can take...why is it so unreasonable to have more of them in baseball?

Plus as I've noted, I think an unintended consequence could be reduced pitching changes. Especially at first, managers may have a tough time managing their mound visits/pitcher warmups and may not make a pitching change they intended to because a reliever isn't ready.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 3:14 PM Post
chuckiehacks said:

The difference is we do *one hundred and sixty two* games, half of the year. I like acting like a vegetable as much as anyone on the couch but at some point things have to get done. People don't have time to sit 3 hours a day watching these guys stand around and occasionally run to a fly ball like we used to, so anything to shorten the game helps. IMO

Granted, that's not taking into account the radio broadcasts which are quite useful in passing time at work and all, but still.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 3:20 PM Post
chuckiehacks said:

Bingo. Cut out some of the ads if you want to shave time off of baseball games. Otherwise these little pitch clock/mound visit changes here and there are merely superficial and won't amount to much if any change.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 3:23 PM Post
Let's get real. Ads are not going anywhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 3:26 PM Post
I don’t want baseball games to be shorter as I love going to baseball games and the longer I am there the better as far as I am concerned. If today’s “fans” aren’t able to summon the patience necessary to be there an extra five minutes I don’t think MLB needs to be catering to that demographic anyways.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Limit on mound visits per 9 inning game without prompting a pitching change...

Posted: February 19, 2018, 3:26 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
brooks_quichenick said:
chuckiehacks said:

Bingo. Cut out some of the ads if you want to shave time off of baseball games. Otherwise these little pitch clock/mound visit changes here and there are merely superficial and won't amount to much if any change.

It irritates me how much this myth gets thrown around. The time between innings is EXACTLY the same as the 1970s. It's not the problem--and it's being strictly enforced now. And we're not talking "5 minutes". The games are 30 minutes longer than they used to be--again, for the same number of pitches and commercial breaks.

There might be unintended consequences but it's been made clear to the players that 2018 is their last chance to avoid a pitch clock. So I think they will likely follow the rules. I'm not sure how much it will affect regular season games but it will make a big difference in the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 4:28 PM Post
superfly said:
chuckiehacks said:

The difference is we do *one hundred and sixty two* games, half of the year. I like acting like a vegetable as much as anyone on the couch but at some point things have to get done. People don't have time to sit 3 hours a day watching these guys stand around and occasionally run to a fly ball like we used to

But people have 2 hours and 50 minutes to do this?

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 4:58 PM Post
I think the idea of shaving time off games is a misplaced idea to attract the next generation of fans. They think millennials have too short an attention span to sit through a three hour game. I think the exact opposite. If baseball caters to people who spend as much time looking at their phone as they do their surroundings they'll find a day at the park is exactly the right pace to do both. The idea that you don't have to have your eyes glued to the action every second or risk missing something seems very compatible with baseball. MLB would be better served if they created apps to instantly watch something that just happened than trying to make everything happen at a faster pace.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 5:00 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
I think the idea of shaving time off games is a misplaced idea to attract the next generation of fans. They think millennials have too short an attention span to sit through a three hour game. I think the exact opposite. If baseball caters to people who spend as much time looking at their phone as they do their surroundings they'll find a day at the park is exactly the right pace to do both. The idea that you don't have to have your eyes glued to the action every second or risk missing something seems very compatible with baseball. MLB would be better served if they created apps to instantly watch something that just happened than trying to make everything happen at a faster pace.

As others have noted, the pace of play has changed pretty drastically over the last 20-30 years. It would be more likely to get worse than better if MLB didn't step in and try to do something about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 5:13 PM Post
I can't wait until a catcher steps 3 feet infront of the plate, shouts something to his pitcher, and then as he's returning to his crouch is told "that's 1 visit"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 5:56 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Thurston Fluff said:

As others have noted, the pace of play has changed pretty drastically over the last 20-30 years. It would be more likely to get worse than better if MLB didn't step in and try to do something about it.

I don't think the pace is the problem. What there is to do when there is no action is. If I have my phone and am in a good atmosphere I really don't care if I am there for three vs three and a half hours. The key for me is providing a good atmosphere that caters to casual viewing.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 9:32 PM Post
liveforoctober said:
I was just going to ask how this is enforced. If a catcher runs out to the mound after 6 visits ... is the catcher thrown out? Does a pitching change have to be made?

From what I read it will be fines only. Not sure if that's on the individual players or on the team. I can see the Red Sox and Yankees just telling their players to go ahead and make as many visits as they want. They'll cover the fines. So Yank-Sox games will still go 4 hours.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 9:41 PM Post
superfly said:
chuckiehacks said:

The difference is we do *one hundred and sixty two* games, half of the year. I like acting like a vegetable as much as anyone on the couch but at some point things have to get done. People don't have time to sit 3 hours a day watching these guys stand around and occasionally run to a fly ball like we used to, so anything to shorten the game helps. IMO

Granted, that's not taking into account the radio broadcasts which are quite useful in passing time at work and all, but still.

Plus most baseball games are at night not Sunday at noon.

Work and school the next day.....west coast games.....etc

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 9:53 PM Post
DHonks said:
I can't wait until a catcher steps 3 feet infront of the plate, shouts something to his pitcher, and then as he's returning to his crouch is told "that's 1 visit"

Pretty sure that's not the intent, but that would actually be kinda funny...channeling Bull Durham right now - "Curveball!" turns to batter, "And when you speak of me, speak well!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 11:30 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
AdvantageSchneider said:
liveforoctober said:
I was just going to ask how this is enforced. If a catcher runs out to the mound after 6 visits ... is the catcher thrown out? Does a pitching change have to be made?

From what I read it will be fines only. Not sure if that's on the individual players or on the team. I can see the Red Sox and Yankees just telling their players to go ahead and make as many visits as they want. They'll cover the fines. So Yank-Sox games will still go 4 hours.

The enforcement is the threat that if they don't get the game times down, the pitch clock is coming next season.

Attendance in the 8th inning or later of most MLB games suggests that about 60-70% of MLB fans would prefer a shorter game. I'm sure MLB is working with TV ratings data as well and knows what percentage of fans turn off the TV before the game is over.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2018, 11:39 PM Post
I am in favor of this as to me there is a pace of play problem not a length of play problem. NHL and NBA are basically fast tempo as the play is non stop. The NFL has built a product that has 11 guys play another 11 guys with a mass amount of stuff going on that you can watch 3 replays of the same play and see something different each time. Baseball has had 10+ minute ABs. It’s annoying and the data side has nudged so far into the game to me it has affected the pace of play. So I am in favor of changes that help speed up the tempo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2018, 8:48 AM Post
I'm not sure it will affect teams as much as we think. Was there anything posted about what the average visits to the mound by teams were last season? I'm for a limit though. It'll be played out like the replays where coaches hold out in the early goings to save the visits later in the game. But when working on ways to cut down the time to play a game and it's risen 10mins in last two years? So maybe this is the biggest culprit.
The Righty/Lefty/Righty matchup is where I see this being a problem. I had the idea that a RP when used must be used for 2 batters unless his 1 batter pitched to leads to end of the inning.
Maybe MLB can come up with if a 2nd pitching change occurs within the same inning(not due to injury) the RP is not given any warmup throws. Or a plan where if you are going to use the R/L 1 batter switch, the 2nd pitcher has to leave the bullpen and go in to the dugout for the change of pitchers. So when the Pitching change is about to occur that pitcher is walking out to the mound with the Coach/manager. Gets 30secs to warmup and go.

The one pitch outings just kill me. So and so comes in 1 pitch gets his man out and now is being replaced with a Lefty for...

I'm also for a pitch clock. Screen above the umpires head counting down. Quit shaking off the catcher, stepping off the mound and resetting yourself. I know to some 10-15min longer games isn't a problem, but this was a reduction process 2 years ago on batters and games have increased 10mins. Say 25k fans per game attendance and it's 375,000 people on a night. Games are broadcast on tv/internet with the advertising for a slotted amount of time. Next show has it's advertising or another game is supposed to be broadcast and the 1st game goes 9 innings and takes 1-2 innings from the 2nd game.

The NFL gets away with it as their after 1st game coverage/analysis will just be shortened. We have 2mins for highlights and go to are 2nd game coverage. Or if the game was quick, they give bonus coverage to an on-going game or spend 2-3 minutes talking about a game or incident as filler.
I'd just like to see the average be 2:50. It's not. Implementing the intentional walk, didn't make games quicker apparently last year.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply