LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 454 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random news and notes for MLB 2018

Offline  Re: Random news and notes for MLB 2018
Posted: September 29, 2018, 4:14 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Random Question: Could an upcoming free agent be placed on waivers this weekend and then acquired Sunday night after the regular season is technically over, but eligible to play in a Game 163 on Monday for their new team? Obviously I realize they wouldn’t be eligible for the post-season. The odds of this actually happening are probably zero and if it was an impact player I am sure it would be universally hated by other organizations, but it would make for an interesting storyline.

I would think so since it's considered a regular season game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 30, 2018, 8:41 PM Post
Syndergard had a bat break on a swing today. Ball never even touched it. Just shattered in his hands shortly after starting to swing.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 7:01 AM Post
young guns said:
Syndergard had a bat break on a swing today. Ball never even touched it. Just shattered in his hands shortly after starting to swing.

That was crazy. https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1046490443079450626

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 7:12 AM Post
From the reaction from the dugout, it almost seems like they pulled a prank on him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 3:16 PM Post
Can anyone with The Athletic subscription summarize this article about "Three teams that may have outsmarted themselves with their managerial decisions"? Thanks

https://t.co/E6ikxBYIKR

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random news and notes for MLB 2018
Posted: October 11, 2018, 7:21 PM Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/ ... 3981890561

Context...never would’ve known

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 11, 2018, 7:30 PM Post
People always rush to judge manager’s decisions, there is always stuff we don’t see. We don't know what's going on in these guys personal lives, I always use the example of a guy whose kid has been up puking the last 2 nights. This is even more if a harsh reality.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 12, 2018, 3:04 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Arizona switching to artificial turf: http://arizonasports.com/story/1696534/ ... urf-field/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 30, 2018, 11:29 PM Post

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 08, 2018, 5:13 AM Post
Not sure when it happened but saw Baseball Reference has updated service times if you are curious where various Brewers are at.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 09, 2018, 3:45 PM Post
Not sure where to put this, but Theo has indicated a willingness to listen on trade offers for Kris Bryant. The article mentions Bryant's likely arbitration cost and the Cubs' limited offseason flexibility due to their bloated payroll that will be included some significant arbitration raises to some of their younger players, plus Theo commenting about trying to rebuild their dumpster fire of a farm system that he poured gasoline on to create...The article also mentions the friction early on with Boras when the Cubs basically held Bryant back a full year before calling him up to the majors while they were terrible so they'd have him under team control for a longer portion of when they were competitive.

I'm sure there's some merit to the above being reasons why the Cubs would be shopping Bryant - but if they were confident he'll be healthy and completely over his shoulder issues there's no way Theo would be talking about trading the 2016 MVP - If they are actually serious about taking trade offers for Bryant, the Cubs have to be worried about Bryant's shoulder being a chronic problem. They are about to come into a ton of fun $$ with their own network, so I don't buy their payroll being a reason to trade Bryant - particularly when all indications are that they'll be pushing to sign either Machado or Harper.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 10, 2018, 12:35 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Not sure where to put this, but Theo has indicated a willingness to listen on trade offers for Kris Bryant. The article mentions Bryant's likely arbitration cost and the Cubs' limited offseason flexibility due to their bloated payroll that will be included some significant arbitration raises to some of their younger players, plus Theo commenting about trying to rebuild their dumpster fire of a farm system that he poured gasoline on to create...The article also mentions the friction early on with Boras when the Cubs basically held Bryant back a full year before calling him up to the majors while they were terrible so they'd have him under team control for a longer portion of when they were competitive.

I'm sure there's some merit to the above being reasons why the Cubs would be shopping Bryant - but if they were confident he'll be healthy and completely over his shoulder issues there's no way Theo would be talking about trading the 2016 MVP - If they are actually serious about taking trade offers for Bryant, the Cubs have to be worried about Bryant's shoulder being a chronic problem. They are about to come into a ton of fun $$ with their own network, so I don't buy their payroll being a reason to trade Bryant - particularly when all indications are that they'll be pushing to sign either Machado or Harper.

Theo already came out and shot this down. Olney took some out of context quote from him and ran with it/ESPN sensationalized it. Theo said something like “of course nobody’s untouchable but I’d fine it hard to see a scenario moving him (Bryant) makes sense” and Olney somehow ran with the whole he’s being shopped thing. It’s kinda odd, he even had that quote within the article.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 8:03 AM Post
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros and Cardinals are the two teams "that have had the most meaningful discussions" with the Diamondbacks regarding a Paul Goldschmidt trade.

Rosenthal cautions that "no deal is close" and talks are "not yet advanced," but it looks like Houston and St. Louis could be the early favorites to land the six-time All-Star. Goldschmidt is slated to earn $14.5 million next season before entering free agency next winter. It's obviously going to take a big package to land him even though he's only under team control for one year. Goldy rebounded from a slow start to finish with a .290/.389/.533 and 33 home runs in 2018.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterNov 19 - 9:33 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 8:18 AM Post
turborickey said:
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros and Cardinals are the two teams "that have had the most meaningful discussions" with the Diamondbacks regarding a Paul Goldschmidt trade.

Rosenthal cautions that "no deal is close" and talks are "not yet advanced," but it looks like Houston and St. Louis could be the early favorites to land the six-time All-Star. Goldschmidt is slated to earn $14.5 million next season before entering free agency next winter. It's obviously going to take a big package to land him even though he's only under team control for one year. Goldy rebounded from a slow start to finish with a .290/.389/.533 and 33 home runs in 2018.

The thought of Goldschmidt in the middle of that Cardinal lineup kind of makes me a little ill. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 8:29 AM Post
Although not likely...I would just hope that his slow start last year was actually a sign that he is slowing down period and has a crummy year. If of course, he's traded to the Cards.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 8:38 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
Although not likely...I would just hope that his slow start last year was actually a sign that he is slowing down period and has a crummy year. If of course, he's traded to the Cards.

If he is traded to the Cards, he will have a career year, more than likely, an MVP season...

[angry] [sad] [ohwell]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 12:55 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
turborickey said:

The thought of Goldschmidt in the middle of that Cardinal lineup kind of makes me a little ill. I really hope that doesn't happen.

He'll only be there one year and it will hurt the Cards farm system.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:08 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
turborickey said:

He'll only be there one year and it will hurt the Cards farm system.

One year during the Brewers' limited contention window. I'd much prefer the Cardinals just go away down to mediocre land for the next 5 years. If they need directions, they can ask the Reds and Pirates.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:01 AM Post
Thought this was interesting considering how shift-heavy the suddenly solid Brewers' defense has become:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25463813/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-backing-rule-change-limit-defensive-shifts

I think it's kind of silly to try and make a rule to restrict shifts - what would it be, 2 infielders have to be on each side of 2B at the time of the pitch? What about OF shifting? Are there going to be markers or boundaries added to the field where fielders need to be? If players wanted to see their offensive stats go back up, maybe spend a little more time working on your approach and becoming a better hitter at either going the other way or getting a bunt down in certain spots to force teams out of the shift. Sure, that may come at the expense of more chances to swing for the downs and hit HR, but if your OBP increases by 50 percentage points because you hit to all fields you're probably a better and more valuable offensive player.

It seems like MLB is at the point where heavy defensive shifting is industry standard across MLB - there will come a point where statistical/spray chart analysis determines that having a more balanced lineup of hitters whose approach forces teams to scrap or dramatically reduce shifting is a better approach for scoring runs than trying to hit through/over it. There will be a team that applies that strategy and succeeds in doing so..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:26 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Thought this was interesting considering how shift-heavy the suddenly solid Brewers' defense has become:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25463813/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-backing-rule-change-limit-defensive-shifts

I think it's kind of silly to try and make a rule to restrict shifts - what would it be, 2 infielders have to be on each side of 2B at the time of the pitch? What about OF shifting? Are there going to be markers or boundaries added to the field where fielders need to be? If players wanted to see their offensive stats go back up, maybe spend a little more time working on your approach and becoming a better hitter at either going the other way or getting a bunt down in certain spots to force teams out of the shift. Sure, that may come at the expense of more chances to swing for the downs and hit HR, but if your OBP increases by 50 percentage points because you hit to all fields you're probably a better and more valuable offensive player.

It seems like MLB is at the point where heavy defensive shifting is industry standard across MLB - there will come a point where statistical/spray chart analysis determines that having a more balanced lineup of hitters whose approach forces teams to scrap or dramatically reduce shifting is a better approach for scoring runs than trying to hit through/over it. There will be a team that applies that strategy and succeeds in doing so..

Because, the shift made the Brewers a contender, and Major League Baseball wants its playoffs to be in the big markets.

It's the same with the way they're messing with draft compensation over the years. It's become less and less costly for a big-market team to sign free agents. In essence, Milwaukee, Kansas City, and a few other teams we can all name are really to be an advanced farm team for the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Nationals, and a couple others that we can probably name off the tops of our heads.

MLB doesn't like having Milwaukee as the team with the best record in the NL. So, they're gonna change the rules to screw the Crew over.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 454 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply