Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Making a case for an early promotion of Corbin Burnes

Offline  Re: Making a case for an early promotion of Corbin Burnes

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:23 PM Post
First Hader and now Burnes. Woof.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:24 PM Post
I don't see the rush as of right now. Guerra, Chacin, Anderson are pretty much locked into 3 spots. Suter hasn't been killing them. You have Woodruff and Peralta to fill in until Davies is back. Plus Jimmy coming back in the next month or so. Bullpen is well set. If something happens with injuries or guys completely losing it, sure that changes things but as of now I'd just keep the process going as a starter and likely get him a taste in the September call ups.

If anything I'd like to see Woodruff given a bit more of a run if the situation calls for it. He has the stuff, might just need some time like Nelson did. It's tough being in a pennant race though to give him those reps like they could with Nelson.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on June 19, 2018, 3:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:26 PM Post
Brew4U said:

I would say it's similar to Hader in the best way to help the club right now is in the bullpen. I don't see Burnes sticking in the bullpen any longer than this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:40 PM Post
Yeah I think Burnes profiles as a starter going forward. This doesn't concern me at all and if they need him it would be nice to get him out of CS for a while.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:43 PM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
Brew4U said:

I would say it's similar to Hader in the best way to help the club right now is in the bullpen. I don't see Burnes sticking in the bullpen any longer than this year.

Ya, I don't see why anyone would be worried about them trying to use Burnes out of the bullpen this season. They still see him as a SP long term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 3:45 PM Post
A lot of people are going to compare this to Hader, but I don’t see it. Burnes has looked like an MLB starter his entire career. Josh Hader has pretty legitimate concerns that had a lot pointing to the bullpen.

There are many possibilities here. They could just see Colorado Spring not helping him and figure promoting him later in the season as doing nothing negative for his development.

I also could see them moving even more toward the super pen concept. It worked with Hader and he is arguably one of the most valuable pitchers you can throw out there. Burnes could be a big impact in a similar role. Strengthens the team this year without giving anything up at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 4:34 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Holy overreaction.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 4:42 PM Post
wallus said:
Brew4U said:

Holy overreaction.

Uhh... why? I wanted Hader in the rotation. He’s now in the pen. I’d rather see Burnes in the rotation than Suter or a guy like Miley. He will now most likely be in the pen. The reaction is completely justified. These decisions suck IMO.

Last edited by Brew4U on June 19, 2018, 4:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 5:34 PM Post
Seems a bit of an overreaction to think having him play one game out of the pen means he's going to be in the pen from here. They might simply be looking at innings limits for the year already so this could be a break and gives him some experience in a role he might need to be in come September or playoffs (as he'll hit an innings limit by then).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2018, 7:51 PM Post
Brewers have already said he can help now by pitching in pen this year but he will be starter moving forward. Hader there were concerns & debate about prior. I have never seen a report of anyone thinking Burnes future is in the pen. Highly doubt it’s anything to be worried about. It limits innings & gets him MLB experience.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 7:16 AM Post
I don't think there's any reason to freak out, the Brewers have already addressed it. He could help the big league team this year out of the bullpen but still viewed as a starter long term.

They want to keep his innings down but they also know he is probably ready and able to contribute at the big league level now. However, they don't necessarily need another starter in the rotation right now, and if you plugged him in anyways he would undoubtedly hit his innings limits by August. Plus there's the possibility that trotting him out in CO Springs every week could do more harm than good at this point.

I like the idea. Getting him some exposure facing big league hitters will just help prepare him to start next season in the big league rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Making a case for an early promotion of Corbin Burnes

Posted: June 20, 2018, 7:48 AM Post
buckybrewer232 said:
I don't think there's any reason to freak out, the Brewers have already addressed it. He could help the big league team this year out of the bullpen but still viewed as a starter long term.

They want to keep his innings down but they also know he is probably ready and able to contribute at the big league level now. However, they don't necessarily need another starter in the rotation right now, and if you plugged him in anyways he would undoubtedly hit his innings limits by August. Plus there's the possibility that trotting him out in CO Springs every week could do more harm than good at this point.

I like the idea. Getting him some exposure facing big league hitters will just help prepare him to start next season in the big league rotation.

Counsell was quoted recently saying that with Logan being DFA'd, they would likely call up another reliever soon. The DFA opens a spot on the 40-man as well. I wonder if Burnes to Milwaukee is imminent?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 7:51 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
buckybrewer232 said:

Counsell was quoted recently saying that with Logan being DFA'd, they would likely call up another reliever soon. The DFA opens a spot on the 40-man as well. I wonder if Burnes to Milwaukee is imminent?

Makes logical sense. Miley and Nelson are too far away from coming off the 60 for them to just leave that spot open for that long.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 8:26 AM Post
It absolutely drives me nuts how the Brewers jerk around their top pitching prospects. It’d be one thing if they called up Burnes and had him pitch out of the bullpen the rest of the season. But history tells me they’ll have him come up for a little bit, pitch a game or two, move him back down to CS and have him start, then bring him back up to pitch out of the pen, then send him back to CS to start. They’ve been doing that with Woodruff. They did it with Peralta awhile ago and it seemed like it set him back. They did it with Thornburg and he ended up getting hurt. Why can’t they just let their starters start? Are there really so few bullpen options that there isn’t a better choice than Burnes?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 8:47 AM Post
Cardinals moved pitchers around from starter to bullpen for years with good results....

I think we are very set at starter for years to come, unless we start trading off guys left and right. Ask yourself what the rotation might look like in 2019 and 2020. Anderson, Nelson, Davies, Chacin, Guerra, Davies, Peralta, Woodruff....there is eight without much thinking. Maybe a FA or trade line pick up would be included in that group. All but Chacin are here through at least 2020, many for a 2 or 3 years after that.

Is Bunes a given to be in the rotation? Maybe a probable, but he ( like many) is not doing well at Col Springs. He very well could be a help in the second half in a shortened role. If he is throwing 95-97, a jump to Milwaukee in a mop up role might be the better move for him than just to keep accruing innings in a hitter haven or demoting him to AA or the pen in the minors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 9:11 AM Post
paul253 said:
It absolutely drives me nuts how the Brewers jerk around their top pitching prospects. It’d be one thing if they called up Burnes and had him pitch out of the bullpen the rest of the season. But history tells me they’ll have him come up for a little bit, pitch a game or two, move him back down to CS and have him start, then bring him back up to pitch out of the pen, then send him back to CS to start. They’ve been doing that with Woodruff. They did it with Peralta awhile ago and it seemed like it set him back. They did it with Thornburg and he ended up getting hurt. Why can’t they just let their starters start? Are there really so few bullpen options that there isn’t a better choice than Burnes?

How does pitching in Milwaukee vs Colorado Springs affect a pitcher's arm?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 9:43 AM Post
paul253 said:

Sort of understand what your saying, but keep in mind our best SP and RP did exactly this (Guerra and Hader). And like Rick said the Cardinals do it all the time, and many other teams do as well. This will also keep pitchers pitching longer in the year because it limits their innings pitched. I do wish the would keep Woodruff at SP, but if you have a reliever like Drake and no clear SP opening, Woodruff needs to be up in the bigs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 9:59 AM Post

If I'm Burnes, I think I am thinking -- 'Wow, this is cool. What an opportunity!? How great is it that my bosses recognize my talent even though I'm having a tough year in this Hell-for-Pitchers that they call Colorado Springs?' not 'Wow, they are jerking me around'

Why do you say it seemed to set Peralta back?

There are plenty of bullpen options, but Burnes is talented and they want to put the best players on the field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2018, 12:11 PM Post
I just don’t see any type of issue here.

1) Major League experience whether starting or relieving is never a bad thing. Either way you are adjusting and learning to get out MLB hitters

2) Helps limit his innings

3) He has chance to help out in BP now & not in the rotation

4) There has never anyone to think his future is in pen & Brewers have confirmed that he is a starter going forward. He simply has chance to help now.

5) Gets him out of CS.... is that ever a bad thing

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Making a case for an early promotion of Corbin Burnes

Posted: June 20, 2018, 12:16 PM Post
The only downside I can see is that adding him is going to likely mean one more prospect down the pecking order is going to be available in the Rule 5 Draft next year. Hopefully the team can trade a few of those guys so they don't risk losing them.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply