LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

David Stearns must do's for the offseason

Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 25, 2018, 2:13 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Don’t see piggy backing happening as a long term solution. Handcuffs your pen too much over 162 games.

Agreed unless we get a deGrom like pitcher... someone who can avg 7 innings per start and give the bullpen a sort of rest every fifth day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2018, 3:51 PM Post
I think the brewers will keep one of either the moose or Schoop. but think DS still loos for an arm but now thinking another Reliever

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2018, 4:43 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
I think the brewers will keep one of either the moose or Schoop. but think DS still loos for an arm but now thinking another Reliever

Moustakas is going to opt out and look for a multi-year deal, something the Brewers should have no interest in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2018, 5:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
Brew4U said:
Don’t see piggy backing happening as a long term solution. Handcuffs your pen too much over 162 games.

Agreed unless we get a deGrom like pitcher... someone who can avg 7 innings per start and give the bullpen a sort of rest every fifth day.

Should maybe amend this to 6 IP per start. 7 inning starters don't even exist anymore. Unless you get Scherzer....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2018, 5:41 PM Post
I was real big on less innings for starters and more innings for relievers last off season. I called it piggy-backing because I thought that's what it meant when you plan to pull your starter early for a long reliever, but I guess some people consider piggy-backing to be set rotation tandems, which is a little too inflexible. So I don't advocate piggy-backing per se, but the general idea is there.

This would require "starters" to pitch on 4 days rest more often. Obviously you lose innings overall when you ask a guy to pitch more games (a starter can easily go 150, but a closer can barely do half of that), but you can make up the difference and then some by having long relievers give longer outings. Most relievers are under-utilized because frequent short innings are inefficient. There's too much manipulating of late game match-ups because of dogma and irrationality, but not enough manipulation of early and mid game leverage situations. Many more long relievers could go one time through the order and maybe a little more without much loss of effectiveness - especially if half your bullpen is full of serviceable or promising starters. And the Brewers have enough guys with options to make it work.

So yeah, I think something vaguely resembling piggy-backing could be on the way. I think there's enough evidence suggesting it could work. It will happen slowly and experimentally at first but will catch on eventually. You get to PH for your starter more, manipulate outings more to avoid bad match-ups (I've always hated how often an LHP starter has to face a great RHB lineup just because it's his turn in the rotation, for example), and of course avoid that third time through the order.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:39 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
brewmann04 said:

Moustakas is going to opt out and look for a multi-year deal, something the Brewers should have no interest in.

i agree in this case

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 2:49 PM Post
1. Let Schoop, Moustakas, and Soria walk. The money can be spent better elsewhere.
2. Sign Michael Brantley to play left field. Move Braun to 4th outfielder and 1st baseman.
3. Trade Aguilar, Thames, and Anderson. Move Thames for anything just to clear the money. Aguilar could possibly bring back a decent return. If there are no solid offers, keep Aguilar and have him and Braun split time at first. Anderson could be part of a package for a TOR starter to eat innings for them.
4. Move Shaw back to third and sign a 2B to a one or two year deal. Jordy Mercer would be a good option that shouldn’t cost much. Right handed bat that doesn’t strike out a ton and will take walks. He can also play shortstop in a pinch.
5. I feel that Stearns will make a splashy move this offseason, but who knows what that move will be. Signing Brantley would be one, but I could see Stearns going out and trading for a guy like Degrom or Snell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 3:15 PM Post
RollieTime said:
1. Let Schoop, Moustakas, and Soria walk. The money can be spent better elsewhere.
2. Sign Michael Brantley to play left field. Move Braun to 4th outfielder and 1st baseman.
3. Trade Aguilar, Thames, and Anderson. Move Thames for anything just to clear the money. Aguilar could possibly bring back a decent return. If there are no solid offers, keep Aguilar and have him and Braun split time at first. Anderson could be part of a package for a TOR starter to eat innings for them.
4. Move Shaw back to third and sign a 2B to a one or two year deal. Jordy Mercer would be a good option that shouldn’t cost much. Right handed bat that doesn’t strike out a ton and will take walks. He can also play shortstop in a pinch.
5. I feel that Stearns will make a splashy move this offseason, but who knows what that move will be. Signing Brantley would be one, but I could see Stearns going out and trading for a guy like Degrom or Snell.

#1 - Likely going to happen....
#2- Can't see so much money (and years) spent on 30 year old OFs... just think Santana gets plenty of at bats
#3Aguilar is staying.... the other two both could be on the move. Braun and Aguilar at 1B sounds good.
#4 Shaw to 3B, ok. Mercer? Well, maybe not him but a guy like him, sure.
#5 Splashy move? I'd be plenty excited for a trade for de Grom or a #1 or 2... I'm not sure how that gets done, though, without giving up 3 young guys with high ceilings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 3:22 PM Post
Dubon and Hiura should be our 2B next year with maybe a one year for a Dozier or similar stop gap if they feel neither is quite ready. Schoop really isn’t in the picture as his playing time in the playoffs suggests.

I’d love to pencil in JA for 1B in 2019 but I’m just not seeing him as anything other than a nice surprise when he is on a hot streak. On the other hand I don’t see him netting much in a trade so I think he stays.

As for trade chips who do we really have? Our lineup is pretty set do to contracts in place in the OF and everyone in the infield but 2B being a decent contributor who play cheap. Our big chips on the farm are Hiura and maybe Lutz? I’d trade Ray because he is a very flawed player but what we get back who could crack our lineup?

The team seemed to try and trade Shaw last year. Is that what they will do? And if so who plays 3B?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 5:10 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
Dubon and Hiura should be our 2B next year with maybe a one year for a Dozier or similar stop gap if they feel neither is quite ready. Schoop really isn’t in the picture as his playing time in the playoffs suggests.

I’d love to pencil in JA for 1B in 2019 but I’m just not seeing him as anything other than a nice surprise when he is on a hot streak. On the other hand I don’t see him netting much in a trade so I think he stays.

As for trade chips who do we really have? Our lineup is pretty set do to contracts in place in the OF and everyone in the infield but 2B being a decent contributor who play cheap. Our big chips on the farm are Hiura and maybe Lutz? I’d trade Ray because he is a very flawed player but what we get back who could crack our lineup?

The team seemed to try and trade Shaw last year. Is that what they will do? And if so who plays 3B?

I think Shaw is a bit of a bounce back candidate for next season. He had an okay season, but I think you will see his average creep back up where it was in 2017.

On a different note, I don’t think the Brewers should trade Shaw based on his family situation. I know it is a “business”, but at some point life is more important. Milwaukee has one of the top hospitals in the country for children’s heart issues and we all know the story about his daughter, who will need another heart surgery within the next 2 years. I think Shaw wants to remain in Milwaukee for his daughter and I will gladly keep a guy like him in the clubhouse.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 6:01 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I think Shaw is a bit of a bounce back candidate for next season. He had an okay season, but I think you will see his average creep back up where it was in 2017.

A bounce back candidate? His 2018 season was nearly identical to 2017.

4.1 WAR (B-Ref)
119 OPS+

3.9 WAR
121 OPS+

Shaw is an excellent player who will either be starting at 3B (hopefully) or 2B (please no) in 2019 for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 28, 2018, 6:05 PM Post
502 to Right said:
RollieTime said:

A bounce back candidate? His 2018 season was nearly identical to 2017.

4.1 WAR (B-Ref)
119 OPS+

3.9 WAR
121 OPS+

Shaw is an excellent player who will either be starting at 3B (hopefully) or 2B (please no) in 2019 for the Brewers.

Yeah I worded that poorly. I was more thinking that we would see Shaw be a more consistent player that produces at a higher clip than what we saw this season. My apologies.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 12:29 AM Post
I'm guessing he was referring to Shaw's BA dropping 30+ points from 2017 to 2018. OBP was similar thanks to nearly 20 more walks & 3 more sac flies, but he had 27 fewer hits in 2018 in about 20 fewer PAs than 2017.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 5:36 AM Post
RollieTime said:
Boomer5 said:

On a different note, I don’t think the Brewers should trade Shaw based on his family situation. I know it is a “business”, but at some point life is more important. Milwaukee has one of the top hospitals in the country for children’s heart issues and we all know the story about his daughter, who will need another heart surgery within the next 2 years. I think Shaw wants to remain in Milwaukee for his daughter and I will gladly keep a guy like him in the clubhouse.

I’m really not suggesting they trade him. We have no 3B to replace him and he is relatively cheap and controlled.

However he was apparently on the block last winter to land a starter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 7:52 AM Post
Was there anything really other than rumors and our own speculation to indicate Shaw was being offered in trades?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 7:58 AM Post
Also, I think Shaw is a really solid, underrated player. He's been a 4 WAR player the last 2 seasons and proved 2017 wasn't flukey. He's kind of like our Whit Merrifield, with a different skillset obviously. Sometimes we seem to treat Shaw like he's a spare part when he's definitely a main component.

It would take a huge return for me to ever want to part with Shaw.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 8:13 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Also, I think Shaw is a really solid, underrated player. He's been a 4 WAR player the last 2 seasons and proved 2017 wasn't flukey. He's kind of like our Whit Merrifield, with a different skillset obviously. Sometimes we seem to treat Shaw like he's a spare part when he's definitely a main component.

It would take a huge return for me to ever want to part with Shaw.

I agree 100%.

It seems like most people on this board fawn over Moustakas, while Shaw put up superior production.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 9:08 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
rickh150 said:
Brew4U said:

Should maybe amend this to 6 IP per start. 7 inning starters don't even exist anymore. Unless you get Scherzer....

MLB average was 5.4 IP/Start this season. The Brewers 7 most used starters were at 5.27. They weren't that far off.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 9:58 AM Post
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:10 AM Post
rcc said:
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.

I don't think there was anything to it but speculation. There was a time in the offseason last year where it was reported that the team was looking into signing Moustakas as a free agent. That would lead to the conclusion that they were shopping Shaw.

Of course, they very well could have been considering the Shaw to 2B move way back in February too.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply