LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

David Stearns must do's for the offseason

Author Message
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:28 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4603
adambr2 said:
Was there anything really other than rumors and our own speculation to indicate Shaw was being offered in trades?

rcc said:
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.


It was a rumor reported (or started) by Jim Bowden (thread link).

Bowden reported last January that the Brewers were interested in... "3B Michael Moustakas with the idea that if they signed Moustakas they could trade Travis Shaw to NYY, ATL or NYM according to a club source."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
Posts: 921
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
rcc said:
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.


I don't think there was anything to it but speculation. There was a time in the offseason last year where it was reported that the team was looking into signing Moustakas as a free agent. That would lead to the conclusion that they were shopping Shaw.

Of course, they very well could have been considering the Shaw to 2B move way back in February too.


They probably already knew Travis would agree to and do well at 2nd when they went for Moose.

Your post makes more sense than "apparently on the block" without any substance to that claim.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:37 AM Post
Posts: 921
Eye Black said:
adambr2 said:
Was there anything really other than rumors and our own speculation to indicate Shaw was being offered in trades?

rcc said:
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.


It was a rumor reported (or started) by Jim Bowden (thread link).

Bowden reported last January that the Brewers were interested in... "3B Michael Moustakas with the idea that if they signed Moustakas they could trade Travis Shaw to NYY, ATL or NYM according to a club source."


Well there's that. Nothing came of Bowden and his rumors.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:45 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6698
rcc said:
Eye Black said:
adambr2 said:
Was there anything really other than rumors and our own speculation to indicate Shaw was being offered in trades?

rcc said:
I never read the team wanted to trade Shaw. Links please.


It was a rumor reported (or started) by Jim Bowden (thread link).

Bowden reported last January that the Brewers were interested in... "3B Michael Moustakas with the idea that if they signed Moustakas they could trade Travis Shaw to NYY, ATL or NYM according to a club source."


Well there's that. Nothing came of Bowden and his rumors.

I think Bowden makes up more crap than any national baseball writer. He was a bad front office guy and is a bad reporter. He's all about clicks.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:48 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4603
Jim Bowden "Likes" all of his own tweets on Twitter. It is bizarre, but it also tells me about all I need to know about Jim Bowden.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 11:24 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7629
Yeah, I remember that Moose note and the conclusion that it meant Shaw was on the block, but as we saw this season, perhaps the correct conclusion if that rumor was even true was that they were already considering playing Shaw at 2B....


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 12:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 601
I don't consider Jim Bowden a credible source.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:03 PM Post
Posts: 3052
I wouldn’t look to trade Shaw of course. We don’t have his replacement. But if not him who would be a chip to acquire someone meaningful?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:08 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5169
Location: Three Lakes, WI
Boomer5 said:
I wouldn’t look to trade Shaw of course. We don’t have his replacement. But if not him who would be a chip to acquire someone meaningful?


I think Davies, Anderson, Thames, Santana, Broxton, Schoop (if tendered) and even Aguilar or Chacin could all be available. None of them have the value that Shaw brings, but all do bring value to a potential deal. All would be more easily replaceable than Shaw.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:21 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8795
Say we got rid of Shaw, who plays 3B? It would take a pretty knock out great haul to move him imo. We have nothing ready in the pipeline.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:37 PM Post
Posts: 3052
Maybe we need to look more for guys who can go 3 innings and hitters who work the count and can play in a shift? Those won’t be anything close to stars but they might be more useful on a $ basis.

Think more like Miley and Yo. Guys who can be decent one or maybe two turns against a weak team.

I just don’t see us trading away Chacin and what value does Anderson, Broxton, Thames really bring? Schoop is a negative value with his 2019 salary. I like Santana but they apparently did everything they could to trade him last offseason.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5169
Location: Three Lakes, WI
Boomer5 said:
Maybe we need to look more for guys who can go 3 innings and hitters who work the count and can play in a shift? Those won’t be anything close to stars but they might be more useful on a $ basis.

Think more like Miley and Yo. Guys who can be decent one or maybe two turns against a weak team.

I just don’t see us trading away Chacin and what value does Anderson, Broxton, Thames really bring? Schoop is a negative value with his 2019 salary. I like Santana but they apparently did everything they could to trade him last offseason.


You asked who could potentially be available, and that's who I thought. I don't think Shaw is.

Chacin would be a sell-high, but I doubt that happens too. Broxton and Thames are a year off of productive seasons, and Anderson, at $6 million, would be a bargain as a solid mid-rotation starter. Schoop is a year off of getting MVP votes and is young.

In the end, it isn't how we value these guys ... it's how other GMs value them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:51 PM Post
Posts: 3682
Location: New Berlin, WI
turborickey said:
Say we got rid of Shaw, who plays 3B? It would take a pretty knock out great haul to move him imo. We have nothing ready in the pipeline.


Aguilar...

In seriousness, I don't mind entertaining offers for Shaw...but I find it unlikely someone values him to the point of enticing us to move him. If the value is high enough, there are options out there that we can look to for a Shaw replacement. With how Stearns operates, we might make selling and buying moves...but I anticipate the net effect of our moves to improve the MLB club at the expense of the farm.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 3:31 PM Post
Posts: 3052
What do you all think Dave Robertson would command in FA? I’d love to add him even at 34.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 3:53 PM Post
Posts: 3052
Miley, Gio, and Granderson are officially FA.

Tyrone Taylor goes to the 40 man.

https://twitter.com/brewers/status/1057 ... 49477?s=21


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 5:02 PM Post
Posts: 15585
Any Shaw trade speculation just makes no real sense to me.

Good slugging lefty bat at 3rd, 4 WAR per season, top notch defense at 3rd and 1st, also versatile enough to play 2nd. 3 years of control, under 30. Only an 18.4% K rate.

Isn't that someone we would be interested in acquiring if he was on a different team?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 5:15 PM Post
Posts: 6011
adambr2 said:
Any Shaw trade speculation just makes no real sense to me.

Good slugging lefty bat at 3rd, 4 WAR per season, top notch defense at 3rd and 1st, also versatile enough to play 2nd. 3 years of control, under 30. Only an 18.4% K rate.

Isn't that someone we would be interested in acquiring if he was on a different team?


Yep

We aren't rebuilding.....we are going for it......he isn't going to be moved unless we acquire a 3rd baseman to replace him......which would make no sense considering how much he makes.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 8:13 PM Post
Posts: 2563
markedman5 said:
adambr2 said:
Any Shaw trade speculation just makes no real sense to me.

Good slugging lefty bat at 3rd, 4 WAR per season, top notch defense at 3rd and 1st, also versatile enough to play 2nd. 3 years of control, under 30. Only an 18.4% K rate.

Isn't that someone we would be interested in acquiring if he was on a different team?


Yep

We aren't rebuilding.....we are going for it......he isn't going to be moved unless we acquire a 3rd baseman to replace him......which would make no sense considering how much he makes.

Sign Manny Machado.

Sorry, just had to say it for its ridiculousness. . . . Never mind that a) I don't think Travis Shaw's a trade candidate in any way b/c his attributes are what we're trying to accumulate more of, not trade; and b) trading Shaw & acquiring a RH hitting 3B would give us only Yelich as a LH bat in the starting lineup, and we weren't left-handed enough at all until we acquired Moustakas, which may well prove to be just a short-term acquisition only anyway.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 9:10 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6698
I think the idea is that if you trade Shaw, you sign Moustakas to play 3B.

The problem with that is that a team could just sign Moustakas and save their assets.

I guess Moose will cost more - but otherwise, why spend your other assets when you can just sign a 3B?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: David Stearns must do's for the offseason
Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:06 PM Post
Posts: 15585
reillymcshane said:
I think the idea is that if you trade Shaw, you sign Moustakas to play 3B.

The problem with that is that a team could just sign Moustakas and save their assets.

I guess Moose will cost more - but otherwise, why spend your other assets when you can just sign a 3B?


Also the problem with that is that Moustakas is not as good as Shaw nor as versatile.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3and2Fastball, long ball, monty57, Surhoff5, Zad Fnark and 19 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test