LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 292 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Schoop news (Latest- Non-Tendered)

Online  Re: Schoop news (Latest- Non-Tendered)
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:01 AM Post
I like what DS admitted he made an error , now learn from it and move on to improve your team.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Schoop news (Latest- Non-Tendered)
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:05 AM Post
Love the comments by Steans. Shows he's not afraid to take risks and learn from mistakes.

This bodes very well for the future of the Brewers with Stearns putting this team together IMO.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:31 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I’m not a fan of the comments by Stearns. For me, it’s fine to realize and think those things. Don’t see a need to make the comment. Just do your job better.

I think it's a good statement about his character to come out and tell us that he made a mistake. Players respect that, his coaches respect that, fans respect that. I have a very hard time seeing how making a statement holding himself accountable for a rare bad move is in any way a negative thing. If he had dragged Schoop through the mud with his comments I could see that perspective but he doesn't come off that way at all IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:47 AM Post
I don't need him telling me he made a mistake. That was already said when he non-tendered him.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:09 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:
I’m not a fan of the comments by Stearns. For me, it’s fine to realize and think those things. Don’t see a need to make the comment. Just do your job better.

I think it's a good statement about his character to come out and tell us that he made a mistake. Players respect that, his coaches respect that, fans respect that. I have a very hard time seeing how making a statement holding himself accountable for a rare bad move is in any way a negative thing. If he had dragged Schoop through the mud with his comments I could see that perspective but he doesn't come off that way at all IMO.

It’s all opinion but not all might respect that sort of comment. I certainly don’t. It don’t think it’s a necessary comment to say it is a bad trade. Just not necessary since everyone can put it together if you cut a guy a few months after trading three players for.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:26 AM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:

It’s all opinion but not all might respect that sort of comment. I certainly don’t. It don’t think it’s a necessary comment to say it is a bad trade. Just not necessary since everyone can put it together if you cut a guy a few months after trading three players for.

My view is that it's a comment that a lot of fans and media types are going to like, but players may not necessarily like. If you read between the lines, he's saying that he was duped by Schoop and Schoop isn't the player Stearns thought he was getting. I could very easily see how a prospective free agent looking at signing with the Brewers may see it as Stearns not backing his players. Perhaps that is a jump, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now as a fan and a former media person, that level of candidness is rare and, for the most part, appreciated. You want a GM that is willing to admit mistakes, rather than one that has too much pride and hubris to compound them. I'm sure that if they determined Schoop had a good chance of turning things around, they would have hung onto him, as his time frame lines up pretty perfectly with Hiura's ascent. Now they are stuck with either grabbing a bridge-type 2B like Neil Walker or maybe Dozier on a 1 year deal, hoping that Dubon and Perez/Saladino are good enough to hold the fort, or signing a guy like Dietrich or LeMahieu to a multi-year deal, with the hope that they are versatile to help in other spots once Hiura is ready. I know, though, that if I was a 2B looking for a multi year deal and a starting 2B job, I would be hesitant to look at the Brewers, knowing that Hiura is waiting in the wings.

It's definitely going to be an interesting story to watch play out over the next couple months.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 9:23 AM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:

I don't believe it was a "comment" though - I believe it was an answer to a question from a reporter. It wasn't in a press release or any official statement, it was something that he said to a reporter who likely asked a question.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 9:52 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

I don't believe it was a "comment" though - I believe it was an answer to a question from a reporter. It wasn't in a press release or any official statement, it was something that he said to a reporter who likely asked a question.

Tomayto, tomahto. It was something he did not have to say to a reporter. The entire baseball world realizes his mistake. Him taking a shot at the parting player (to me) does nothing. People rally around this taking accountability thing. He can take accountability by just realizing it was a bad trade, non-tendering him, and finding us an actual infielder that will help us win games. That is what I would like to see out of the GM.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 10:50 AM Post
Brew4U said:
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

Tomayto, tomahto. It was something he did not have to say to a reporter. The entire baseball world realizes his mistake. Him taking a shot at the parting player (to me) does nothing. People rally around this taking accountability thing. He can take accountability by just realizing it was a bad trade, non-tendering him, and finding us an actual infielder that will help us win games. That is what I would like to see out of the GM.

I tend to agree. There's a reason that kind of candidness is so rare. As outsiders, we'd all probably like to see that more, but workplace politics are important when working on the inside. It seemed kind of disrespectful to a player who I'm sure is just as unhappy about his performance, if not more so. Not a huge deal either way though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 10:53 AM Post
Brew4U said:

I disagree. Certainly his comments were not necessary, but they convey a sense of humility that is refreshing to see in a decision maker of his position.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:06 AM Post
Sorry, I don't see the comments by Stearns as disrespectful. I think that's digging into it a bit much. He also said this:

“There’s a level of production that’s going to make a salary like that justifiable and ultimately we determined our resources were likely going to be better spent elsewhere. We understand there is a real possibility that Jonathan Schoop could bounce back and be closer to the player he was in 2017. He’s a really talented player. That’s why we traded for him."

JSOnline

You could put together a pretty interesting team with some of the names non-tendered. Schoop will have a job before too long. He's all but guaranteed to hit .280 with 30 bombs now [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:24 AM Post
I’ll just end my comments on this to say I don’t think it is a huge deal either. I just didn’t think the comment was necessary. The rest of the quote by Nieves makes it a bit better for me but again, it’s just ones opinion

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:53 AM Post
I'm glad he said what he said. We are all adults. Let's call a spade a spade. Is anything he said untrue? It's not like he said that he had a poor work ethic or was bad in the club house. He didn't perform, and at his salary he needs to perform.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
I mean, he said it and it's done and it's over with. If we reached a point where professional athletes are going to get their feelings hurt because they are being held accountable to do the job they're being paid to do, I think that's actually honestly kind of sad.

He didn't throw Schoop under the bus. He just said the trade didn't work out in the way that they had hoped it would. There's a lot of hand-wringing about a comment where a general manager candidly points out that a guy didn't play well, when in fact, that guy really didn't play well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:26 PM Post
Stearns rarely says much in interviews that include a whole lot of information/controversy at all. One of the rare times he does (and it was honestly not that bad when you actually READ the article) and he is getting grief for it? Ridiculous.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:40 PM Post
Amazing that both sides cannot be discussed on this topic. Truly amazing so many get offended when they disagree with this GM. No matter if it what he says, or trades, or signs... people can disagree and the world will still turn. Ridiculous is right wallrus, just in the opposite direction of what you deem ridiculous.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:42 PM Post
I think its the topic being discussed that's the problem, not which side anyone is on. It's like a soap opera in here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:52 PM Post
You're right Brewb4U, I would rather he just said no comment just to not offend anyone ever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:53 PM Post
Brew4U said:
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

The comment is a little odd to me as well. Saying it “was a bad deal and that’s on me” seems like a little bit of a shot at Schoop. We talk a lot about “small samples” and Schoop had a total of 124 at bats with the Brewers. At the time of the trade, he was uncomfortable leaving the Orioles since he was with them his entire career up to that point since he was signed by them at the age of 16. Some people don’t transition as easily as others.

Just for reference, Paul Goldschmidt was hitting .198 through 172 at bats to start his 2018 campaign. He finished the year at .290. I’m not saying Schoop is the type of player Goldschmidt is, but players go through extended slumps at some point in their career and Schoop happened to go through it while with us. I was hesitant about the Brewers tendering a contract to Schoop, but he’s a former all star who is only 27. He is a much better player than a .200 hitter for less than a quarter of a season’s worth of at bats.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 1:11 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I think its the topic being discussed that's the problem, not which side anyone is on. It's like a soap opera in here.

Check in with your scout and get back to us on this one.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 292 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply