LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 101 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Award Season

Offline  Re: 2018 Award Season

Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:32 AM Post
rcc said:
If they don't win ay least they were recognized.

Travis did a great job at second base with no previous time there. How many players can do that. He isn't Brooks Robinson but give the guy credit for only having 11 errors all year playing 3 infield positions.

this

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:35 AM Post
dlk9s said:
Yelich won the NL Hank Aaron Award

J.D. Martinez won it in the AL.

When do they announce the MVPs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 7:26 AM Post
Pugger said:
MrTPlush said:
Shaw is slow running up on balls. He makes decent throws, but you can’t be that slow and get a ton of baserunners out. I think he is a fine defender, but nowhere near GG.

Shaw is underrated to some extent, but Yelich is overrated. Yelich isn’t very fast so he doesn’t cover a ton of ground and his arm is pretty terrible. He runs great routes though which a lot of people overlook when it comes to OF defense. I just don’t see how you can get anywhere close to calling him a GG.

Yelich isn't very fast....?

Compared to....like....Cain....or like Hamilton...or other guys considered elite defensively, no. He does not have elite speed. He does not cover a ton of ground.

But once again I guess we are talking LF where you just need to be slightly above average in the OF to win a GG.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 9:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
Pugger said:
dlk9s said:
Yelich won the NL Hank Aaron Award

J.D. Martinez won it in the AL.

When do they announce the MVPs?

It is usually mid-November. I believe this year the MVP awards are announced on November 15th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 7:51 PM Post
Hader wins Hoffman POY award. Chalk another award for the crew.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 8:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
To answer the question asked earlier here is a schedule of important dates and calendar events during the MLB off-season (via Cleveland.com)...

* One day after World Series ends, eligible players can file for free agency.

* The conclusion of the fall classic also starts the clock on a five-day "quiet period" where teams can negotiate exclusively with their own free agents, but are prohibited from signing anybody.

* At the end of the "quiet period," clubs must decide whether or not to extend one-year qualifying offers to free agents. The qualifying offer was $17.4 million last year and will likely be around $18 million this offseason.

* Also at the end of the five-day quiet period, clubs are faced with a deadline whether or not to pick up player options for the 2019 season.

* The day after the five-day quiet period, free agents are allowed to sign with any club, kicking off free agency in the traditional sense.

Nov. 5, 2018: BBWAA Awards Finalists announced. The top three finalists in each of the BBWAA's four major awards categories will be revealed on MLB Network.

Nov. 6, 2018: Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners announced.

Nov. 6-8, 2018: General Managers' meetings, Carlsbad, Calif.

Nov. 8-15, 2018: MLB All-Star tour of Japan.

Nov. 12, 2018: Rookies of the Year announced.

Nov. 13, 2018: Managers of the Year announced.

Nov. 14, 2018: Cy Young Awards announced.

Nov. 15, 2018: MVP Awards announced.

Nov. TBA, 2018: Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offer (15 days after World Series ends).

Nov. 26-29, 2018: MLBPA Executive Board Meeting, Dallas.

Nov. 30, 2018: Non-tender deadline (last day for teams to offer 2019 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters).

Dec. 9-13, 2018: MLB Winter Meetings, Las Vegas.

Dec. 9, 2018: Hall of Fame Today's Game committee vote announced, Las Vegas.

Dec. 13, 2018: Rule 5 Draft. Teams can choose non-exempt players from other clubs' minor league systems, but those players must remain on the selecting team's 25-man roster for the duration of the season, or be offered back to their original club.

Jan. 11, 2019: Players and teams exchange salary Arbitration figures.

Feb. 1-20, 2019: Arbitration hearings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 9:08 PM Post
I am not sure how it works in the MLB, but is Hader considered a rookie? Therefore, eligible to win the rookie of the year award? I have not heard him mentioned anywhere for the award. If he is eligible for it, he will most likely be the run away rookie of the year winner.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 9:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
I believe he is technically eligible because he was under 50 innings in 2017, but I also think it’s likely that the NL Rookie of the Year Award is a two horse race: Juan Soto and Ronald Acuña Jr.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 29, 2018, 10:41 AM Post
RollieTime said:
I am not sure how it works in the MLB, but is Hader considered a rookie? Therefore, eligible to win the rookie of the year award? I have not heard him mentioned anywhere for the award. If he is eligible for it, he will most likely be the run away rookie of the year winner.

it's 50 IP or 45 days of mlb service time (September doesn't count)

Per Cot's, Hader had 115 days of mlb service time in 2017. So even removing the 30 days for September he lost rookie status last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:49 AM Post

Roster Guru
gold glove winners announced tonight at 8:00 central on espn.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 8:43 PM Post
Cain, ribbed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 8:55 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Cain, ribbed.

Gold Glove is an absolute joke. We know how good Cain is. It’s a shame for him that he’s unlikely to ever get a Gold Glove, but if he gets another ring, I think he’ll find a way to consider his career fairly successful. Go Crew.

Last edited by Harvey'sWBs on November 04, 2018, 10:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals, Cubs, and Manny Machado, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 9:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
Cain was at +20 DRS, +8.7 UZR & 19 Outs Above Average.

Inciarte was at +17 DRS, +7.2 UZR & 21 Outs Above Average.

That's about as close as you can get given the margin of error inherent with single season defensive metrics.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 9:12 PM Post
If there was a vote on “who had the highest batting average in the National League”, a majority of voters would pick against Yelich.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 9:29 PM Post
This type of Bs makes me think Baez will win the mvp

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 9:29 PM Post
sveumrules said:

That's about as close as you can get given the margin of error inherent with single season defensive metrics.

Then make it a tie like they did for first base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 9:41 PM Post
Cain did win the Fielding Bible award for CF for MLB in 2018. I considering the Fielding Bible award to be more credible than the Gold Glove award.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/the-winners.asp

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2018, 7:31 AM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
Brew4U said:
Cain, ribbed.

Gold Glove is an absolute joke. We know how good Cain is. It’s a shame for him that he’s unlikely to ever get a Gold Glove, but if he gets another ring, I think he’ll find a way to consider his career fairly successful. Go Crew.

I agree that the Gold Glove awards have been historically inconsistent to say the least. However, the normal knock on them is that the voters tend to pick guys that also have good offensive numbers or "star quality" names over players that actually deserve the award. In this case Inciarte is not a better offensive player than Cain and is really not any more well-known than Cain, so that narrative does not really fit here. As sveumrules pointed out, their numbers are fairly close, so it seems like perhaps the voters actually may have done some homework and Inciarte may have just been able to get an extra vote or two (to they show detailed results anywhere?).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2018, 7:57 AM Post
sveumrules said:

I did think Cain was going to win and I'm bummed that he didn't, but Inciarte is certainly very deserving as you pointed out.

The NL Gold Glove field is really deep at CF. Almora, Marte, and Bader are all fantastic in CF too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 8:07 AM Post

Roster Guru
manager of the year announced tonight at 5:00 central.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 101 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply