LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 25, 2018, 9:30 PM Post
Tunnell is surprising. Coles seems like a case of "about time to try a new voice."
Dan Wright? Who knows, sports medicine, training programs for pitchers, etc is changing rapidly with lots of different approaches. Could be the doctors the Brewers use suggested someone, etc.

Back to Tunnell, really have to wonder if its something personal, not directly related to job performance. I generally like the concept of continuing to shake things up with coaching staffs in pro sports, so as usual Ill trust Stearns since we dont even have half a clue what these coaches do, how the do it, if they get along, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 9:34 PM Post
LOL at the speculation here about Dan Wright. I know absolutely 0 about the situation, but it's kind of hilarious to think that it is performance related--and how or why the internet would or should care about whether it is or or isn't. There are so many variables involved that it is just...I can't even...

Was the head custodian at Miller Park retained?!?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 25, 2018, 10:57 PM Post
Purely guessing, but I'm thinking Derek Johnson is going to have a big say in terms of the new bullpen coach...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 6:11 AM Post
Oxy said:
LOL at the speculation here about Dan Wright. I know absolutely 0 about the situation, but it's kind of hilarious to think that it is performance related--and how or why the internet would or should care about whether it is or or isn't. There are so many variables involved that it is just...I can't even...

I know, I had the same thought. It is funny. He could have not gotten along with somebody for all we know.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 6:28 AM Post
Oxy said:

Dan, is that you?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 6:48 AM Post
Glad we're moving on from Coles. After the overhaul of the lineup, the offense had to be better than that. Don't fully get Tunnel, but it's not a top assistant role and if Derek Johnson is good with it, I'm good with it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 6:57 AM Post
I get a few hitters regressing year to year, but someone had to pay for the sheer number that regressed substantially in 2018. Arcia, Shaw, Pina, Santana, Thames and Braun all went downhill to some degree after good 2017 seasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 7:53 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Oxy said:

I know, I had the same thought. It is funny. He could have not gotten along with somebody for all we know.

I heard it was related to him not using the new cover sheets for the TPS reports.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:02 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
3and2Fastball said:
Purely guessing, but I'm thinking Derek Johnson is going to have a big say in terms of the new bullpen coach...

My first thought about Tunnell was that he and DJ didn't see eye to eye on some things. Perhaps Tunnell has more of an "old school" approach or something.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:02 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I get a few hitters regressing year to year, but someone had to pay for the sheer number that regressed substantially in 2018.

Coles resigned, he wasn't fired. The Brewers, it seems, would have brought him back.

In this piece for The Athletic, there's a quote from a prospective candidate for the hitting coach position: “I don’t know, man,” said the potential candidate. “He’s a good hitting coach. Good hitting coaches don’t get up and leave without a legit reason.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:11 AM Post
And That said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I get a few hitters regressing year to year, but someone had to pay for the sheer number that regressed substantially in 2018.

Coles resigned, he wasn't fired. The Brewers, it seems, would have brought him back.

In this piece for The Athletic, there's a quote from a prospective candidate for the hitting coach position: “I don’t know, man,” said the potential candidate. “He’s a good hitting coach. Good hitting coaches don’t get up and leave without a legit reason.”

Could very well be that he deemed a number of players on the Brewers too hard to coach and didn't want to be blamed for their bad plate discipline anymore.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:24 AM Post
And That said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Perhaps. I personally don't think it's entirely coincidental, though, that the hitting coach of a very offensively streaky team who had multiple hitters regress this year simply "resigned".

But at this point, it's arguing over semantics. Coles is gone, and the team needs a solid replacement that will hopefully preach plate discipline and not giving up at bats.

I've seen Paul Molitor mentioned in several places on Twitter, but I just don't know. I think it could be odd for Counsell to have someone who was undoubtedly an idol when he was a kid working under him on a coaching staff.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:52 AM Post
For all we know, Coles was asked to resign to save him the embarrassment of being canned.

It is all speculation.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:58 AM Post
turborickey said:
For all we know, Coles was asked to resign to save him the embarrassment of being canned.

It is all speculation.

I know that's where I'd have my money. Helps him save face which should help in getting other spots.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:07 AM Post
Also worth noting that Jean Segura and Scooter Gennett were cast as guys with significant hitting flaws, only to turn in to All-Star's with other organizations. Villar regressing to a DFA candidate forced Stearns to make moves he probably didn't anticipate. It had to of been difficult to watch a third 2nd basemen improve with another team, only to see Schoop hit himself off the Brewers playoff roster.

The Athletic publicized earlier that it was Yelich who recognized a flaw in Arcia's mechanics, which led to the positive reversal. I remember a similar story where Jean Segura returned to the DR over the winter and one of his old coaches told him to lower his hands. That was the catalyst which led to his breakout in Arizona.

I think the firing of Coles signals that Stearns and Co. will keep Schoop and hope that the new coach can get something out of him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:14 AM Post
ctmyers said:
Also worth noting that Jean Segura and Scooter Gennett were cast as guys with significant hitting flaws, only to turn in to All-Star's with other organizations. Villar regressing to a DFA candidate forced Stearns to make moves he probably didn't anticipate. It had to of been difficult to watch a third 2nd basemen improve with another team, only to see Schoop hit himself off the Brewers playoff roster.

The Athletic publicized earlier that it was Yelich who recognized a flaw in Arcia's mechanics, which led to the positive reversal. I remember a similar story where Jean Segura returned to the DR over the winter and one of his old coaches told him to lower his hands. That was the catalyst which led to his breakout in Arizona.

I think the firing of Coles signals that Stearns and Co. will keep Schoop and hope that the new coach can get something out of him.

He wasn't fired.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:32 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I get a few hitters regressing year to year, but someone had to pay for the sheer number that regressed substantially in 2018. Arcia, Shaw, Pina, Santana, Thames and Braun all went downhill to some degree after good 2017 seasons.

Hard for me to blame Coles for Arcia when it took sending him down to AAA for him to consider changing his obviously exploitable approach.

Shaw had a 121 OPS+ in 2017 compared to 119 in 2018. That's a pretty small degree.

Pina posted a 94 OPS+ as a 30 year old getting his first significant playing time in 2017. He posted an 87 mark in 2018. That's just standard regression for an old guy that needed forever to even get a chance in the first place.

Coles seemed to be doing fine with Domingo when he went form a 108 OPS+ in 2016 to a 126 mark in 2017. What did Coles do differently to cause Santana to lose all his power?

Thames was insanely streaky in 2017. He was streaky & hurt in 2018. Again this is a guy who had to leave MLB, completely relearn how to hit in an inferior league, then come back. Overall I'd say he's done about as expected.

Braun has had the same swing since he was in high school. His OPS+ went from 111 in 2017 to 107 in 2018. He also was the 11th "unluckiest" batter this season per StatCast. Based on quality of contact his expected AVG/SLG should have been 294/518 instead of the 254/469 he ended up at. Based on quality of contact he was actually better in 2018 than 217.

SoCal Brew Crew Fan pretty much hit the nail on the head for me...

SoCal Brew Crew Fan said:
...must be something we don’t know.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:34 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
ctmyers said:

He wasn't fired.

semantics

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Coles is gone, and the team needs a solid replacement that will hopefully preach plate discipline and not giving up at bats.

What if Coles was already preaching these things but the hitters either weren't listening or were not skilled enough to execute them?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
Roderick said:
stoutdude04 said:
ctmyers said:

He wasn't fired.

semantics

Speculation, not fact.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply