LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:41 AM Post
Underachiever said:
I heard it was related to him not using the new cover sheets for the TPS reports.

Well done! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:41 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Coles is gone, and the team needs a solid replacement that will hopefully preach plate discipline and not giving up at bats.

What if Coles was already preaching these things but the hitters either weren't listening or were not skilled enough to execute them?

That very well may be the case. Could be that frustration led to Darnell's resignation. I will say that it is rare to see a hitting coach replaced on a team that went to the championship series, and was a game away from the World Series.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:46 AM Post

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darnell Coles resigns, Lee Tunnell and Dan Wright dismissed (per Haudricourt)

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:59 AM Post
The offense killed them to finish last season and it was the weakness all year again this year in spite adding great high obp contact guys in Cain/yelich. Then it completely disappeared in 5/7 games in the NLCS. It doesn't surprise me at all that they just want to shake it up a bit and get a new voice/eyes. I was hoping for it myself.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 10:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
If we can somehow add one or two more high OBP/contact guys this offseason it will have a much greater (or at the very least, a much easier to measure) impact than whomsoever we hire as hitting coach.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 10:24 AM Post
It wasn't great against the Dodgers but the Dodgers pitching had a lot to do with that.

Our offense actually out scored the Dodgers in the series by 1........

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 10:45 AM Post
sveumrules said:
If we can somehow add one or two more high OBP/contact guys this offseason it will have a much greater (or at the very least, a much easier to measure) impact than whomsoever we hire as hitting coach.

This exactly. It's a team full of flawed and bad hitters. We have absolutely no clue what Coles does behind the scenes, but unless he's telling the guys to take pitches over the plate and then flail at anything the pitcher throws with 2 strikes I'd give Coles 5-10% of the blame for the hitters sucking.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 12:09 PM Post
sveumrules said:

I think that is an opinion.

That would not be measurable, especially before it even happens.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 12:14 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Roderick said:
stoutdude04 said:
He wasn't fired.

semantics

It really isn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
sveumrules said:

I think that is an opinion.

That would not be measurable, especially before it even happens.

Brewer wRC+ by position 2017/2018

C: 84/76
1B: 132/128
2B: 85/78
SS: 95/63
3B: 116/111
LF: 90/132
CF: 82/125
RF: 125/115

The positions where we made the two biggest gains (CF/LF) are the positions where we added the two best players. The easiest way to improve the offense is to get better players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 1:41 PM Post
yet still, there are no stats on whomever replaces Coles.

There is no way to tell if your original statement is fact, which still makes it an opinion.

Makes no difference either way, but sometimes people get called out for stating opinions as facts.

Everyone does it, so no biggie.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 1:49 PM Post
All of them were holdovers from the last regime. They may have been perfectly fine at their job but the people in charge want to go with people they are more comfortable with for whatever reason. For all we know they may have been to similar to others and the team wanted more diverse opinions so more players had someone they could relate to. All I know is Counsell and Stearns have their name attached to how things pan out so they should be allowed to chose who to work with regardless of how competent the current guys are.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 3:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
yet still, there are no stats on whomever replaces Coles.

There is no way to tell if your original statement is fact, which still makes it an opinion.

Makes no difference either way, but sometimes people get called out for stating opinions as facts.

Everyone does it, so no biggie.

My original statement was not presented as fact (thus the "or at the very least, a much easier to measure" parenthetical aside).

And even once someone is hired to replace Coles, and the entire 2019 season has been played & the stats are final, it will be impossible to tell if our holdovers from 2018 performed better or worse because of a change in skill level, regression to the mean, coaching, luck, injury, issues in their personal life, or any of a number of factors that could possibly contribute.

Conversely, if we trade for Whit Merrifield (or Hiura gets called up & rakes) it will be a lot easier to tell why our 2B wRC+ went from 78 in 2018 to 115 (hypothetically) in 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 7:52 PM Post
Personally I hope they make dabney the bullpen coach and go outside for hitting.

It is my opinion that these 2 positions are the least significant on any staff, so I won’t get too bent out of shape on whoever they hire though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:27 PM Post
Brewers were 13th out of 30 teams in most affected by injuries on the year. Not sure why everyone is saying we had a healthy year. It wasn't a disaster year by any means but it wasn't particularly healthy either. Most of the key players on the team ended up on the DL at some point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:27 PM Post
Buehler dominating the Red Sox like he dominated us in Game 7.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:07 PM Post
Ennder said:
Brewers were 13th out of 30 teams in most affected by injuries on the year. Not sure why everyone is saying we had a healthy year. It wasn't a disaster year by any means but it wasn't particularly healthy either. Most of the key players on the team ended up on the DL at some point.

Also imbalanced. The first half was brutal with all the injuries. Second half was really healthy. No idea what answer is if there is one in terms of whether it's "better" to be plagued by injuries early, late, or even throughout the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:26 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
The offense killed them to finish last season and it was the weakness all year again this year in spite adding great high obp contact guys in Cain/yelich. Then it completely disappeared in 5/7 games in the NLCS. It doesn't surprise me at all that they just want to shake it up a bit and get a new voice/eyes. I was hoping for it myself.

Plate discipline has been an issue with this team for a while. The guys struck out too much and has a devil of a time moving base runners along especially RISP. It wouldn't be fun to find out how many runners we left on base...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:27 AM Post
markedman5 said:
Buehler dominating the Red Sox like he dominated us in Game 7.

Yes, he's gonna be good one for the Dodgers for a long time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 3:28 PM Post
I heard Rock inquired about the hitting coach job.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply