LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Soria and Moustakas officially FA

Offline  Re: Soria and Moustakas officially FA

Posted: October 31, 2018, 9:58 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
monty57 said:
I agree with that sentiment Joseph. I think that Moose might be wishing he'd have taken the $15m before the offseason is over. He's well-known because of his playoff exposure, but he's not a good enough player to receive the kind of contract he seems to think he can demand. He's an MLB regular, not a star.

It's gotta be so frustrating for Moose. He and Hosmer are so similar of players, Moose plays a tougher position on D yet hosmer gets 125 mil and no one will sign Moose for big money.

All it takes is one idiot GM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 10:02 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tmwiese55 said:
monty57 said:
I agree with that sentiment Joseph. I think that Moose might be wishing he'd have taken the $15m before the offseason is over. He's well-known because of his playoff exposure, but he's not a good enough player to receive the kind of contract he seems to think he can demand. He's an MLB regular, not a star.

It's gotta be so frustrating for Moose. He and Hosmer are so similar of players, Moose plays a tougher position on D yet hosmer gets 125 mil and no one will sign Moose for big money.

All it takes is one idiot GM

Yup, and then SD was having Myers play 3B and go to OF. Could've signed Moose for half the money as Hosmer, left Myers at 1B. Don't get me wrong, that would've been dumb too for a rebuild team, but way better than Hosmer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 10:15 AM Post
monty57 said:

Not like we accepted it and he declined. I am guessing there was no chance we were picking up that option at $15mil.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 10:37 AM Post
Baseball contracts aren't my thing. Is it at all within the realm of possibility that he hits FA, gets no interest, and comes back to MIL for $7 million? I don't know that we even want him or that he fits our needs best, but is that a super crazy idea?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 10:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
monty57 said:

Not like we accepted it and he declined. I am guessing there was no chance we were picking up that option at $15mil.

That is very possible. I highly doubt the Brewers would have made the Schoop trade if they thought Moose had any chance of being back in 2019.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 10:44 AM Post
Not crazy at all, that's basically what happened to him last year with KC. Granted, he won't have the QO attached to him this summer, but I'd be surprised if it's a much more robust market for him than 2017.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 11:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
monty57 said:

I believe it was going to be a $1 million buyout if the Brewers had decided not to pick up the one year at $15 million. If the Brewers had no intention of actually offering the $15 million and Moose just walked away from a $1 million buyout he is really playing his cards wrong. I wonder if the team option specified that the player had to choose first, or if they did rock, paper, scissors to see who had to make the first move?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 11:53 AM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:
monty57 said:

I believe it was going to be a $1 million buyout if the Brewers had decided not to pick up the one year at $15 million. If the Brewers had no intention of actually offering the $15 million and Moose just walked away from a $1 million buyout he is really playing his cards wrong. I wonder if the team option specified that the player had to choose first, or if they did rock, paper, scissors to see who had to make the first move?

According to McCalvy, both Moose and Soria get the $1 million buyout regardless of who turns down the option, and that the player is first to choose https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 1184616448

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 11:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
According to McCalvy, both Moose and Soria get the $1 million buyout regardless of who turns down the option, and that the player is first to choose https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 1184616448

Did not realize that, thanks for the information!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 12:23 PM Post
I agree that the Hosmer deal was ridiculous but have to admit that I liked Hosmer much better as a player than Moustakas after the 2017 season. Hosmer = .294/.359/.463/.822 and averaged 159 games per season from 2015-2017. Moustakas = .275/.329/.496/.824 and averaged 107 games per season from 2015-2017. Hosmer had clearly shown a much better ability to consistently get on base, even though he had some down years in OBP (like 2016).

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply