LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 144 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Derek Johnson leaving to go to Reds

Offline  Re: Derek Johnson leaving to go to Reds
Posted: November 02, 2018, 4:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Seems odd the Brewers wouldn't match. I don't think these guys make all that much in the grand scheme of things. Why not just give him the extra dough? Makes me think the Brewers approach to pitching doesn't jibe with some of the old school guys. Maybe they feel like their opinion isn't valued anymore.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 4:56 PM Post
owbc said:
OnaBadger58 said:
I didn't take it as that way, but I could see how it could maybe be interpreted that way. I really think it just comes down to a higher pay and geographically being closer to home for him. I do think the Brewers had a chance to retain him though...

Yep--and it sounds like the Brewers would have needed to beat the Reds' offer to keep him, not just match. It is what it is.

He also said the Reds were extremely persistent. So its possible DJ went back and forth a couple of times, where the Brewers matched / upped the offer and the Reds topped it, and finally the Brewers stopped.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 5:28 PM Post
A wise young urban gentleman once said “no money,mo problems”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 6:01 PM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
DJ gives some reason for moving on to the Reds.

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1058474266960846851

Interesting he only mentioned liking Craig.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 6:04 PM Post
homer said:
Seems odd the Brewers wouldn't match. I don't think these guys make all that much in the grand scheme of things. Why not just give him the extra dough? Makes me think the Brewers approach to pitching doesn't jibe with some of the old school guys. Maybe they feel like their opinion isn't valued anymore.

Crazy they didn’t beat the Reds offer. A coach who helps $2M pitchers perform like $10M pitchers are worth a fortune.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Derek Johnson leaving to go to Reds
Posted: November 02, 2018, 6:45 PM Post
I suspect he wanted a major pay increase because of the team's success, and David Stearns being an intelligent GM said no.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 6:50 PM Post
SRB said:
I suspect he wanted a major pay increase because of the team's success, and David Stearns being an intelligent GM said no.

How does that make him intelligent? Seems keeping assets is important especially at such a low relative cost.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 7:03 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
SRB said:

How does that make him intelligent? Seems keeping assets is important especially at such a low relative cost.

Because coaches are dramatically more interchangeable than players and don't deserve massive pay checks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 7:31 PM Post
I think it was more than money. Not only was Cincy 10x more attractive to him as a person, but I know he didn’t like the way we used pitchers. Chase Anderson summed it up pretty nicely. The pitching coach likes starters lasting and they often stick up for their rotation arms. I’m not saying it was a huge problem and DJ was miserable/angry, but I don’t think he enjoyed how we employed them. No different than any of us don’t you want a job where you enjoy it more and it fits with your beliefs more?

It seems like Cincy trumped us on everything in DJs mind and barring way more money he was a goner. Who knows how many years he got too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 8:02 PM Post

GIF Master
turborickey said:
OnaBadger58 said:

Was that a little "shot" at the end?

The Reds made him feel wanted...

Did the Brewers not do the same?

Oh god, we don't need to parse every syllable of every sentence everyone says.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 8:29 PM Post
well its a moot point no disputing he did a great job with the pitching staff.Now he an enemy and its up to DS to find a quality coach to lead this possible young rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 9:52 PM Post
SRB said:
Because coaches are dramatically more interchangeable than players and don't deserve massive pay checks.

No chance he got a massive pay day, only players get that. Even most managers make less per year than the majority of players outside of their pre-arbitration years, much less bench coaches who make less than managers.

Whatever larger amount Johnson was offered by the Red vs the Brewers offer, that would be pocket change in the grand scheme of the Brewers budget next year and going forward. If/when the numbers come out showing what he got from the Reds, compared to the Brewers offer, i'll be surprised if the difference is more than a million per.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2018, 10:58 PM Post
dlk9s said:
turborickey said:
OnaBadger58 said:

Was that a little "shot" at the end?

The Reds made him feel wanted...

Did the Brewers not do the same?

Oh god, we don't need to parse every syllable of every sentence everyone says.

If that was all he said, I would tend to wonder if there was more to it.

In the context of everything he said though, especially about loving Milwaukee and Counsell and how much he's going to miss it, I agree there's nothing to it.

Guy saw a good opportunity and took it. No different than any of us who have ever left a job for a similar one in a different location for various reasons.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 12:50 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
OnaBadger58 said:

Interesting he only mentioned liking Craig.

I think he specifically mentioned Counsell because of the chatter that maybe they didn’t get along and that was why he was leaving. He was probably trying to put that to rest.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Derek Johnson leaving to go to Reds?!
Posted: November 03, 2018, 6:36 AM Post
dlk9s said:
The bottom line is probably that DJ got paid a good deal more by Cincy, so he bolted. Good for him.

This is probably what happened. Has there been any news of the size of the contract yet?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 6:43 AM Post
homer said:

Without knowing what was offered by the Reds and Brewers its hard to say.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 9:19 AM Post
"They made me feel wanted." Translation: they offered me a lot more money.

I have no problem with this. If the Brewers thought he was worth the money they would have paid it. They know a lot more about his value relative to the replacement who will come in.

This could be a big mistake for Johnson in the end. He'll probably be fired with the rest of Bell's staff in two years. In Milwaukee he would have had job security. But if it's a challenge he wanted . . . he got it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
I heard several things about Johnson that may have influenced his departure:

- Suspected Ed Sedar of cheating at Euchre one time back in July.
- Felt it was easier to spell 'Cincinnati' than 'Milwaukee'.
- Didn't feel that the 'good job' comment CC gave him this past summer was heartfelt.
- One of the coaches borrowed his soap and didn't give it back.
- Brats were too tempting.
- Closed roof at Miller Park gave him claustrophobia.
- Wife said he looks better in red than blue.
- Resented being mocked by bat boys for not realizing the Ball and Glove logo contained an 'm' and a 'b'.
- Ohio River really pretty in summer.
- Angry he was only given a 9 out of 10 on his 2019 job review.
- Promised by the Reds they'd pick up Oliver Drake on waivers sometime in the next year.
- Summerfest not as good as he had been led to believe.
- Butt-look given to him by Stearns while in contract negotiations.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 6:18 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
SRB said:

No chance he got a massive pay day, only players get that. Even most managers make less per year than the majority of players outside of their pre-arbitration years, much less bench coaches who make less than managers.

Whatever larger amount Johnson was offered by the Red vs the Brewers offer, that would be pocket change in the grand scheme of the Brewers budget next year and going forward. If/when the numbers come out showing what he got from the Reds, compared to the Brewers offer, i'll be surprised if the difference is more than a million per.

Easy for us to talk about potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars as "pocket change" as fans who only consider the player payroll, but not for a GM running a major organization like Stearns.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
Wouldnt surprise me if there were a few quotes between now and end of spring training that shed more light on these departures.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 144 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply