LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Andy Haines named hitting coach

Offline    Andy Haines named hitting coach

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:33 AM Post
He was the Cubs assistant hitting coach last season.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/10 ... 0387100672

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Andy Haines named hitting coach

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:43 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Haines is very progressive from an analytics standpoint. Seems like a good hire/good fit.

To wit, here’s the last thing he retweeted: https://twitter.com/jasonochart/status/ ... 40193?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:49 AM Post
adding another analytics guy guess this is putting a stamp on what DS is looking for .

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:51 AM Post
The hitting coach on a team that had hitters regress tremendously?

This doesn't make me feel that great.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:56 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
turborickey said:

He worked with Christian Yelich as a coach in the Marlins’ minor league system. That seemed to turn out ok.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 12:04 PM Post
I've always thought hitting coaches have minimal impact to the teams offense. However, it would be nice if we could teach a few players to not swing at balls in the dirt or are a foot outside.

I'm guessing this guy will be able to provide some behind the scenes insight which might help our pitching.

Last edited by KCBrewerfan34 on November 03, 2018, 12:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 12:09 PM Post

GIF Master
I'll wait to hear what he has to say at a press conference and then read into every word he says.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 12:43 PM Post
I think hitting coaches get too much credit for team hitting success, and too much blame for team hitting failure.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 12:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:

Not the hitting coach, the assistant hitting coach.

Cubs batters 2017 | 108 wRC+
Cubs batters 2018 | 107 wRC+

How much of that one point decrease in wRC+ can we confidently attribute to the assistant hitting coach?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 1:25 PM Post
Last time they plucked a guy from the Cubs coaching ranks and gave him a promotion in position it was DJ, that turned out okay. Hopefully Haines can have a positive impact on our guys the way DJ did.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 2:08 PM Post
Good hire! (I think)

It is good to get everyone on the same page in terms of analytics. I'll be interested in seeing if Stearns brings in another high contact/high batting average hitter ala Cain/Yelich. The 3TO guys are good to have in a few spots in the lineup, but too many of them really kill rallies & comebacks etc, especially in the postseason.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 5:36 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
I've always thought hitting coaches have minimal impact to the teams offense. However, it would be nice if we could teach a few players to not swing at balls in the dirt or are a foot outside.

I'm guessing this guy will be able to provide some behind the scenes insight which might help our pitching.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think hitting coaches help fix mechanics or change the type of swing somewhat but strike zone judgement is more on the player than the coach. I just can't see many coaches teaching them to swing at garbage.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 6:22 PM Post
I think Counsell deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one. He did a good job hiring his initial staff. I was thinking they would bring in Hinske. I’m much more interested in who they bring in as pitching coach. Not sure how much the hitting coach moves the needle day by day over the course of the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:05 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
KCBrewerfan34 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think hitting coaches help fix mechanics or change the type of swing somewhat but strike zone judgement is more on the player than the coach. I just can't see many coaches teaching them to swing at garbage.

Kinda depends on the age of the player. A young guy may have not seen enough different types of pitches/ spins/ arm angles/ etc. so he is more easily fooled by big league pitching. Teaching a young player to recognize how he is being fooled is a pretty big aspect of being a hitting coach.

On this team that basically means that Arcia is the only guy really still "coachable" in a true teaching sense--and perhaps Aguilar.

I would prefer that a good teacher like that would be at Wisconsin or Carolina rather than the big league club--but again, minor league pitching might not actually be good enough to consistently fool batters based on a scouting report as most pitchers are working on their own stuff rather than worrying about the scouting report of the hitter.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Andy Haines named hitting coach

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:10 PM Post
sveumrules said:
turborickey said:

Not the hitting coach, the assistant hitting coach.

Cubs batters 2017 | 108 wRC+
Cubs batters 2018 | 107 wRC+

How much of that one point decrease in wRC+ can we confidently attribute to the assistant hitting coach?

Cubs batters in 2017: 223 HR 822 Runs Scored 1,401 K's

Cubs batters in 2018: 167 HR 761 Runs Scored 1,388 K's

I believe only the Orioles had more games where they scored 1 run or less than the 2018 Cubs

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Andy Haines named hitting coach

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:13 PM Post
Kris Bryant played 50 less games last year. I’m sure that plays into those stats a bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:15 PM Post
Haynes was with the Cubs for longer that last year I believe while all their guys were developing. I think he’s a pretty solid hire for as much as a hitting coach can possibly matter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 9:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't even know who the Brewers assistant hitting instructor is...or if they have one. Anyone giving this dude credit or blame for anything the Cubs did or didn't do is really pushing an agenda.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 9:22 PM Post
homer said:
I don't even know who the Brewers assistant hitting instructor is...or if they have one. Anyone giving this dude credit or blame for anything the Cubs did or didn't do is really pushing an agenda.

There used to be a phrase "paralysis by analysis." Not en vogue these days. Especially on the internet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 6:47 AM Post
homer said:

Last season it was Jason Lane, I do agree with your larger point. I’m sure Craig met with him, liked his approach and hired him. Can’t really look at the cubs performance for any benchmark.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply