LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What type of pitching coach will they hire?

Offline  What type of pitching coach will they hire?

Posted: November 03, 2018, 5:54 PM Post
First, I will say I think Johnson made a huge impact on the team during his tenure. I would guess the combination of money and moving closer to his family is Nashville were too much to pass up. With that said what type of pitching coach will they go after - a veteran coach like Price, Farrell, or C. Hernandez; someone from within the organization like Hook, Dewey, or Dabney; or someone outside the organization that is into analytics like Brian Bannister from the Red Sox (if they could pry him away)?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?

Posted: November 03, 2018, 7:13 PM Post
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:20 AM Post
Juan Nieves is available. So is Bosio.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:38 AM Post
amt2138 said:
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.

I like this idea a lot. The Indians have a great approach to pitching. Read some of Bauer’s tweets (though not all lol) and you can see this is a really smart group.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 3:56 PM Post
If the Brewers land Ruben Niebla, they might as well deal for Danny Salazar.
Ruben seems to be the only person that can "fix/ correct" Danny when he gets out of sync..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 5:26 PM Post
I think if they can add Niebia then you also look to see if you can Carlos carrasco

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:06 PM Post
Niebla seems very deserving of a position and is with a team that operates similarly to the Brewers. I would say "no" to Bosio and would probably only consider Nieves for the bullpen position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:44 PM Post
I'd like to see them pry Brian Bannister away from the Red Sox. He's their current assistant pitching coach and VP of pitching development. I think he's a strong fit for what they're looking to do going forward. 37 year-old, former MLB pitcher, big on Sabermetrics and statistical analysis.

ETA, I see his name was raised in the first post. I have to believe CC will be seeking to talk with Bannister. Hopefully the interview is granted.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 8:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
amt2138 said:

I don’t know this to be a certain fact, but I believe the Indians were one of the first teams to incorporate weighted ball throwing programs as part of their organizational pitcher development practices.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:41 PM Post
Eye Black said:
amt2138 said:

I don’t know this to be a certain fact, but I believe the Indians were one of the first teams to incorporate weighted ball throwing programs as part of their organizational pitcher development practices.

I believe that (the weighted balls & associated drills with them) was something pushed for by Trevor Bauer after he arrived in Cleveland and started talking about the things he had learned/ help to develop with other 3rd party camps/ groups.....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:44 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
I think if they can add Niebia then you also look to see if you can Carlos carrasco

IIRC Cookie Carrasco was turned around in 2013 due to the efforts of Tribe pitching coach Mickey Calloway & then bullpen coach Kevin Cash.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2018, 8:08 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Eye Black said:
amt2138 said:

I believe that (the weighted balls & associated drills with them) was something pushed for by Trevor Bauer after he arrived in Cleveland and started talking about the things he had learned/ help to develop with other 3rd party camps/ groups.....

Yeah Bauer showed up with results and the team took notice and did their background work on his process and decided it was the direction they felt was right for their player development.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 7:58 AM Post
My guess is a smart one who's ideas align with what David Stearns wants the organizations pitching philosophy to be.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 8:00 AM Post
yes I agree you know DS will bring in his type of Coach, also no official statement about signing the new batting coach.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 6:11 PM Post
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:56 PM Post
wow possible landing two ex cub coaches.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:59 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.

Not saying he would be a bad choice, however isn’t he extremely old school ? Does he fit what our GM is looking for with his analects based coaching concepts?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2018, 6:13 AM Post
Walleye2 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Not saying he would be a bad choice, however isn’t he extremely old school ? Does he fit what our GM is looking for with his analects based coaching concepts?

Huh? The Cubs got nothing out of Darvish and Chatwood, lost their closer for the last 2 1/2 months, and still had the 2nd best ERA in the NL and won 95 games despite their offense scoring 0 or 1 run in more games than any team in the NL. Pitching is pitching.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2018, 7:01 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Walleye2 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Huh? The Cubs got nothing out of Darvish and Chatwood, lost their closer for the last 2 1/2 months, and still had the 2nd best ERA in the NL and won 95 games despite their offense scoring 0 or 1 run in more games than any team in the NL. Pitching is pitching.

Yep. I personally think all this "piggybacking" and "initial out-getter" stuff is complete and utter nonsense. This isn't a Rookie League team. If the Brewers had the horses to go 7 regularly, they would have been going 7 regularly. They didn't, and I give them credit for adjusting. But now it is looking like we may just have some horses coming up the pipeline, so maybe a little "old school" is exactly what they need.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2018, 7:56 AM Post
Totally agree understand the reason they do it in the Minors but we need to have some studs going at least 6

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply