LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What type of pitching coach will they hire?

Author Message
Offline  What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#1

Posted: November 03, 2018, 5:54 PM Post
Posts: 49
First, I will say I think Johnson made a huge impact on the team during his tenure. I would guess the combination of money and moving closer to his family is Nashville were too much to pass up. With that said what type of pitching coach will they go after - a veteran coach like Price, Farrell, or C. Hernandez; someone from within the organization like Hook, Dewey, or Dabney; or someone outside the organization that is into analytics like Brian Bannister from the Red Sox (if they could pry him away)?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#2

Posted: November 03, 2018, 7:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 69
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#3

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:20 AM Post
Posts: 11698
Juan Nieves is available. So is Bosio.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#4

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:38 AM Post
Posts: 3033
amt2138 said:
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.


I like this idea a lot. The Indians have a great approach to pitching. Read some of Bauer’s tweets (though not all lol) and you can see this is a really smart group.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#5

Posted: November 04, 2018, 3:56 PM Post
Posts: 964
Location: Ohio
If the Brewers land Ruben Niebla, they might as well deal for Danny Salazar.
Ruben seems to be the only person that can "fix/ correct" Danny when he gets out of sync..


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#6

Posted: November 04, 2018, 5:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9216
I think if they can add Niebia then you also look to see if you can Carlos carrasco


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#7

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:06 PM Post
Posts: 49
Niebla seems very deserving of a position and is with a team that operates similarly to the Brewers. I would say "no" to Bosio and would probably only consider Nieves for the bullpen position.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#8

Posted: November 04, 2018, 7:44 PM Post
Posts: 336
I'd like to see them pry Brian Bannister away from the Red Sox. He's their current assistant pitching coach and VP of pitching development. I think he's a strong fit for what they're looking to do going forward. 37 year-old, former MLB pitcher, big on Sabermetrics and statistical analysis.

ETA, I see his name was raised in the first post. I have to believe CC will be seeking to talk with Bannister. Hopefully the interview is granted.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#9

Posted: November 04, 2018, 8:25 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4506
amt2138 said:
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.

I don’t know this to be a certain fact, but I believe the Indians were one of the first teams to incorporate weighted ball throwing programs as part of their organizational pitcher development practices.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#10

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:41 PM Post
Posts: 964
Location: Ohio
Eye Black said:
amt2138 said:
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.

I don’t know this to be a certain fact, but I believe the Indians were one of the first teams to incorporate weighted ball throwing programs as part of their organizational pitcher development practices.


I believe that (the weighted balls & associated drills with them) was something pushed for by Trevor Bauer after he arrived in Cleveland and started talking about the things he had learned/ help to develop with other 3rd party camps/ groups.....


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#11

Posted: November 04, 2018, 11:44 PM Post
Posts: 964
Location: Ohio
brewmann04 said:
I think if they can add Niebia then you also look to see if you can Carlos carrasco


IIRC Cookie Carrasco was turned around in 2013 due to the efforts of Tribe pitching coach Mickey Calloway & then bullpen coach Kevin Cash.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#12

Posted: November 05, 2018, 8:08 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 69
MadThinker88 said:
Eye Black said:
amt2138 said:
I think somebody like Ruben Niebla the pitching coordinator for the Cleveland Indians makes a lot of sense. The Indians are very data driven and progressive when it comes to their pitching philosophies. These philosophies are very close to what DJ is preaching. Experience running the minor league portion of pitcher development would allow him to implement his programs throughout the system.

Teams have been raiding colleges for coaches the last few off-seasons for minor league coaching staffs. Might be too big of a jump for somebody to go from a college directly to major leagues but if you are looking for some outside the box candidates Scott Brown from Vandy, Drew Thomas from Coastal Carolina and Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest are three of the most respected in the game.

I don’t know this to be a certain fact, but I believe the Indians were one of the first teams to incorporate weighted ball throwing programs as part of their organizational pitcher development practices.


I believe that (the weighted balls & associated drills with them) was something pushed for by Trevor Bauer after he arrived in Cleveland and started talking about the things he had learned/ help to develop with other 3rd party camps/ groups.....


Yeah Bauer showed up with results and the team took notice and did their background work on his process and decided it was the direction they felt was right for their player development.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#13

Posted: November 07, 2018, 7:58 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10284
Location: Wisconsin
My guess is a smart one who's ideas align with what David Stearns wants the organizations pitching philosophy to be.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#14

Posted: November 07, 2018, 8:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9216
yes I agree you know DS will bring in his type of Coach, also no official statement about signing the new batting coach.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#15

Posted: November 07, 2018, 6:11 PM Post
Posts: 11698
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#16

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9216
wow possible landing two ex cub coaches.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#17

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:59 PM Post
Posts: 30
JohnBriggs12 said:
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.

Not saying he would be a bad choice, however isn’t he extremely old school ? Does he fit what our GM is looking for with his analects based coaching concepts?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#18

Posted: November 08, 2018, 6:13 AM Post
Posts: 11698
Walleye2 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.

Not saying he would be a bad choice, however isn’t he extremely old school ? Does he fit what our GM is looking for with his analects based coaching concepts?


Huh? The Cubs got nothing out of Darvish and Chatwood, lost their closer for the last 2 1/2 months, and still had the 2nd best ERA in the NL and won 95 games despite their offense scoring 0 or 1 run in more games than any team in the NL. Pitching is pitching.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#19

Posted: November 08, 2018, 7:01 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4979
Location: Three Lakes, WI
JohnBriggs12 said:
Walleye2 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
There's reports circulating in the Chicago media that Jim Hickey is out as Cubs pitching coach.

Hickey's got a long successful track record. Brewers could do a lot worse. As coaches go, he won't be cheap.

Not saying he would be a bad choice, however isn’t he extremely old school ? Does he fit what our GM is looking for with his analects based coaching concepts?


Huh? The Cubs got nothing out of Darvish and Chatwood, lost their closer for the last 2 1/2 months, and still had the 2nd best ERA in the NL and won 95 games despite their offense scoring 0 or 1 run in more games than any team in the NL. Pitching is pitching.


Yep. I personally think all this "piggybacking" and "initial out-getter" stuff is complete and utter nonsense. This isn't a Rookie League team. If the Brewers had the horses to go 7 regularly, they would have been going 7 regularly. They didn't, and I give them credit for adjusting. But now it is looking like we may just have some horses coming up the pipeline, so maybe a little "old school" is exactly what they need.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What type of pitching coach will they hire?
#20

Posted: November 08, 2018, 7:56 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9216
Totally agree understand the reason they do it in the Minors but we need to have some studs going at least 6


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 502 to Right, BrewCrewForever, brewmann04, homer, Joey Meyer Bombs, wallus, yfinn6 and 20 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test